Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has there ever been a worse keeper display than that

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yes, away to Doncaster in the 1990s. Their keeper was so bad he was off by half time and I think never payed for them again

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
This was arguably the biggest club game in 2018 at the end of a competition full of world class talent, not a lower league game.

Krisis was not making his debut from some third world country, far from it.

Rolling the ball into the path of multi million valued striker was as stupid as playing Russian roulette with an automatic.

The long shot from Bale was more basic than bread and butter.

So, this was the worst 'keeper display ever seen as far as I am concerned.

What he has been subjected to from his team mates and the twitterers was as ****ish as it gets.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Maty let it an almost identical goal, but fortunately it was in a pre-season friendly that, seemingly, everyone has forgotten about now.
I’m not sure that the Liverpool chap will be so lucky
You are right he let in a howler IN A PRE-SEASON FRIENDLY... then played every minute of every match and I really can't remember him letting us down. However, Liverpool's custodian messed up regally twice in the most important European club match of the year. Just hope Klopp doesn't rate tiny goalkeepers.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
This was arguably the biggest club game in 2018 at the end of a competition full of world class talent, not a lower league game.

Krisis was not making his debut from some third world country, far from it.

Rolling the ball into the path of multi million valued striker was as stupid as playing Russian roulette with an automatic.

The long shot from Bale was more basic than bread and butter.

So, this was the worst 'keeper display ever seen as far as I am concerned.

What he has been subjected to from his team mates and the twitterers was as ****ish as it gets.

What are his team mates saying?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
What are his team mates saying?

Its more what they didn't say. Henderson as captain should have gone straight over to him as soon as possible after the final whistle but didn't. He got more 'time' from the RM players. As [MENTION=27416]theboybilly[/MENTION] hinted, he was left alone.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Just checked Karius stats in the Premier League this season and surprisingly he has actually done well.

Played 19
Clean sheets 10
Goals conceded 14

Compared with David De Gea, his stats are pretty similar.

Played 37
Clean sheets 18
Goals conceded 28

I don't know if it is possible to recover from such a mental setback, but he is 3 years younger than DeGea, who also had a sticky start at United, so I would advocate he gets the chance to learn from this and use it to develop, but I guess he will be moved on.

Agreed. But, he's finished at Liverpool now. He'd do well to leave the Prem for a while, get his head together, and come back a better keeper.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I hope he gets over it. You would hate to think that he would be mentally scarred by those errors. I am sure players and management will rally round and he might even become an antihero to the fans.

I'm pretty sure Everton fans will see him as a hero (not that they would want him to ever sign for them)

Its more what they didn't say. Henderson as captain should have gone straight over to him as soon as possible after the final whistle but didn't. He got more 'time' from the RM players. As [MENTION=27416]theboybilly[/MENTION] hinted, he was left alone.

It's normal for players to go to their match winner after the final whistle, so hardly a surprise

Agreed. But, he's finished at Liverpool now. He'd do well to leave the Prem for a while, get his head together, and come back a better keeper.

Doubt he will play in the Premier League again, both goals looked like they were down to poor concentration and decision making.

If you can't concentrate for 90 minutes during the biggest club game there is, will anyone trust him again at PL level when there is so much money at stake? and when there are surely more reliable option out there?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
My personal opinion if I was playing, I would have not thrown the ball to their player to tap it in for the first goal, and I would have saved that long shot of Bale for the third goal. OK Bales bicycle kick I might have struggled with. If Liverpool want me I will take half of Karius wages.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

I really think keepers get more stick than outfield players for their errors. Both Rob Green and Joe Hart have never been the same since their howlers at international tournaments. Is that because they lose mental confidence or we just percieve them differently after such a high profile gaff?

Interesting that Madrid were beneficiaries of 3 keeper howlers in the semi and final of Champions League, sometimes your name is just on the cup.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Loris receiving death threats online. FFS what’s wrong with some people.

This is why I hate social media in Twitter and Facebook etc so much and I'm still young enough to see it's positives like finding friends. There are so many ********s on it.

How on earth can someone get so worked up over a football match? If someone was mentally ill then yes but any rationally thinking person will hopefully face the consequences over their actions. I hope Karius' family are keeping a close eye on him because I know it sounds bad but I'm thinking of the sad suicide of Robert Enke, the German goalkeeper, and his terrible depression.

Last edited:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I really think keepers get more stick than outfield players for their errors

Absolutely and rightly so.

Many keepers are capable of making the same saves, catching the same crosses, passing well etc. But only very few can go an entire season at a decent level making very few errors.

I really think we've got something special going on at BHA with Ben Roberts behind the scenes. We've got and had for a while now, decent very very consistent keepers who don't "have a rick in them". Karius always has IMO.

I feel for him, but that's WHY he's playing for Liverpool. To not make mistakes like that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just my opinion but Karius was a disaster waiting to happen and unfortunaterlty for Liverpool it happened at the worst possible moment.

Just a note for my critics I note that in yesterdays papers there is speculation about Joe Hart going to Man Utd as cover for De Gea.but then Mourinhio is no judge of players is he !!

Also Yaya Toure is prepared to drop his wages to £100k per week to stay in The Premier. which counts us out.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
A lot of speculation on Joe Hart going to Spain to play for a decent side. After his good experience in Italy it's certainly plausible.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Absolutely and rightly so.

Many keepers are capable of making the same saves, catching the same crosses, passing well etc. But only very few can go an entire season at a decent level making very few errors.

I really think we've got something special going on at BHA with Ben Roberts behind the scenes. We've got and had for a while now, decent very very consistent keepers who don't "have a rick in them". Karius always has IMO.

I feel for him, but that's WHY he's playing for Liverpool. To not make mistakes like that.

I agree with your first point and Matty Ryan looks solid, but you and I must have different views on the qualities of David Stockdale, if you didnt think he had a rick in him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps we are under estimating the input of Ben Roberts as Ryan has come on leaps and bounds under him and he was Nick Popes coach at Charlton which set him on the road.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here