Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk makes Garth Crook's team of the season

Turf War

May 1, 2018
A club newly promoted to the prem needs to consolidate it's position and you don't do that by selling your best players. However, if he wants to leave then there is no point forcing him to stay.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good to see CH getting some credit – and Big Garth to (sort of) admit (despite what some people say), that he was wrong.

'I was asked recently who were my top three managers this season. Without a moment's hesitation I said Rafael Benitez, Sean Dyche and Chris Hughton - in that order. I never expected Burnley to qualify for Europe, for Brighton to survive a season in the Premier League, or for Newcastle to finish with 44 points, ensuring safety with games to spare having started the season with seven Championship players in the team.'

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
All clubs at this level are as much 'selling' clubs as they are 'buying' clubs.

It's just a different market isnt it, with different priccs and different fees. I mean who in the last 15 years should/would have gone to a premiership top 6 if we had anyone worth selling (ie was good enough)
Errm Zamora?

Exactly right, we've never really been in a position for any length of time where we had players that would attract interest from big clubs. Zamora, Ward and Lawrenson are the only 3 I can really think of.

That doesn't mean we aren't a selling a club, every club is, it's just relative to your position on who the clubs that come calling are. A few years ago we had Reading and Sheff United sniffing around the likes of Sidwell and Cullip (yes I know Sidwell was only on loan but we couldn't compete with Reading to get him on a perm). Now it's more established Premier League clubs who will come calling.

Man Utd and Chelsea know if Real Madrid, PSG or Barcelona come in for a player then they will struggle to keep hold of a player.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Here’s what will happen

• TB will resolve not to sell Lewis at any price
• Lewis won’t go to the world cup
• Lewis will correctly reason that if he wants to play for England, he needs a move
• Lewis will go to Tony and Chris and say, “I’ve been loyal to the Albion, but now I need to progress, please don’t stand in my way”. This chat won’t be made public
• Tony reluctantly agrees and quietly touts him around the big boys
• The big 6 bid doesn’t materialise during the world cup
• Leicester, Everton and West Ham are now sniffing around
• One of these, my guess is Leicester, bids £30m. Tony declines
• Leicester bids 35m (possibly rising to £45M with sell on’s & England cap clauses etc) 2 weeks before the start of the season. Tony accepts the bid
• Lewis agrees personal terms, including the probable doubling of his wages.
• Connor Goldson stays with us, starts the first game of the season alongside Duffy and becomes a regular. He’s good, but never quite reaches Dunk’s level.
• The new England manager (who’s replaced Southgate after a laughable defensive performance in the summer) calls up Lewis and gives him his debut in September.

Feel free the remind me about this

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
Think we should cash in personally. With Duffy, Goldson and Ben White already on the books plus the option to sign another with the money from the sale a win-win. Wouldn’t be surprised if given home grown atatus rules if fee would be £40m plus

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Here’s what will happen

• TB will resolve not to sell Lewis at any price
• Lewis won’t go to the world cup
• Lewis will correctly reason that if he wants to play for England, he needs a move
• Lewis will go to Tony and Chris and say, “I’ve been loyal to the Albion, but now I need to progress, please don’t stand in my way”. This chat won’t be made public
• Tony reluctantly agrees and quietly touts him around the big boys
• The big 6 bid doesn’t materialise during the world cup
• Leicester, Everton and West Ham are now sniffing around
• One of these, my guess is Leicester, bids £30m. Tony declines
• Leicester bids 35m (possibly rising to £45M with sell on’s & England cap clauses etc) 2 weeks before the start of the season. Tony accepts the bid
• Lewis agrees personal terms, including the probable doubling of his wages.
• Connor Goldson stays with us, starts the first game of the season alongside Duffy and becomes a regular. He’s good, but never quite reaches Dunk’s level.
• The new England manager (who’s replaced Southgate after a laughable defensive performance in the summer) calls up Lewis and gives him his debut in September.

Feel free the remind me about this

Pretty much that I reckon, although still think a big 6 is more likely. We'll see. Another £30m in the bank on top of the additional PL money to go towards recruitment to will give Winstanley a pleasant tingling feeling and he's proved he can spend it wisely so far.

Do we think any other players are at serious risk of head-turning offers ? Can't see it myself although cheeky 'bids' for Gross and Ryan might be touted about.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
This whole thread. :ffsparr::ffsparr::ffsparr::moo:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Premier League Centre Back signings 17/18:

Lindelof - £31m MU

What you can say is that the big clubs are all spending £30m+ on centre backs, apart from Arsenal. You would imagine their new manager will be looking to strengthen their defence and it wouldn't be a great surprise to see Dunk as a main target for them.

Having seen Lindelof play a few times on TV, Dunk is a much superior defender to him. He's pants.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Here's mine...

Capture22.JPG

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Duffy and Dunk’s style of defending is more suited to a bottom half team than a top 6 one. IMO Dunk is great for us and invaluable to us, but I don’t see him anywhere near the class of an international centre back in a top side.

Really? He's John Terry with a range of passing that JT could only dream about. He can carry the ball out of defence, and ping a cross field pass. If he had a Brazilian name and a flair haircut everyone would be drown in their own man juice whenever he took to the field.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
You can't do that with footballers. If he wants to go and the price is right, he deserves his chance. It's then up to our recruitment team to bring in a quality replacement.

I don't think that is what Perkino is saying at all, he is saying £30m sounds a lot but Dunk has been key to us staying up which is worth £100m+.

If the player wants to go that is another matter but if he does we need to hold out for the maximum.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Really? He's John Terry with a range of passing that JT could only dream about. He can carry the ball out of defence, and ping a cross field pass. If he had a Brazilian name and a flair haircut everyone would be drown in their own man juice whenever he took to the field.

Agree I think he will be better in a better team where he would get more time to do the passing/dribbling stuff.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Exactly right, we've never really been in a position for any length of time where we had players that would attract interest from big clubs. Zamora, Ward and Lawrenson are the only 3 I can really think of.

That doesn't mean we aren't a selling a club, every club is, it's just relative to your position on who the clubs that come calling are. A few years ago we had Reading and Sheff United sniffing around the likes of Sidwell and Cullip (yes I know Sidwell was only on loan but we couldn't compete with Reading to get him on a perm). Now it's more established Premier League clubs who will come calling.

Man Utd and Chelsea know if Real Madrid, PSG or Barcelona come in for a player then they will struggle to keep hold of a player.

Think Michael Robinson and Gary Stephens went for good money-Steve Foster also?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Think Michael Robinson and Gary Stephens went for good money-Steve Foster also?

Correct although slightly different circumstances I suppose. Stevens, Foster and Robinson were more of a fire sale after relegation, they had to go as they were on big contracts. That said they all got moves to big clubs so they fit that criteria.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Garth isn’t exactly a fountain of knowledge but nice to see he recognises the talent dunk is and that he is the only one outside the top 4 mentioned. He’s good enough to play top 6 and in Europe if one of them Are prepared to gamble on him. Been an honour to watch him this year in the PL

Exactly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here