Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crap towns of Britain

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Has St Leonards not been mentioned once? Absolutely bloody shit hole. Probably the worst place I have ever been, I think I would rather live in a caravan outside selhurst park.

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
Having spent a year on and off living in Northampton, I'd like to recomend it as a place to avoid. For cyclists, there are no cycle lanes, and pot holes everywhere. The tarmac has peeled off the back streets I use as a short cut, and there are bare bricks and concrete. The park by the Nene on the west side is full of Russians swigging tins of hi test lager at ten in the morning, while their kids run riot and their fighting dogs crap everywhere. The traffic is a nightmare, with one road running north to south, and idiots revving up 24 7. There is litter everywhere, abandoned supermarket trollies up the alleyways and fly tipping in our car park. There are wierd churches inviting us to ascend to rightousness. It is a hateful place, and the sooner we move the better.

Maybe one day you will ascend to righteousness. It will be the best move you could ever make!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Newhaven ? The council must have spent about 20 p on the centre of town, high street area in the last 10 years, frankly it is a disgrace, it is also the largest town in the UK, population 14000 without a bank. The Harbour area is lovely though. It is a different town really

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Port Talbot is probably the most depressing and smelly place I've ever been in the UK.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I've worked all over the country and for me its Barrow. When I went there the weather was apocalyptic and it really feels like the end of the earth. High percentage of shops were boarded up, just awful.
Special mention to Corby, Skelmersdale and Scotland.

I spent 2 years working in Barrow, staying on Walney Island. Very strange people straight out of The League of Gentlemen. I had some fun times there though. Of course, everyone time us foreigners had an evening out the entire town knew all about it by the next morning

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Newhaven ? The council must have spent about 20 p on the centre of town, high street area in the last 10 years, frankly it is a disgrace, it is also the largest town in the UK, population 14000 without a bank. The Harbour area is lovely though. It is a different town really

I hoped to arrive on this revitalised thread before my town got a mention, but sadly didn't make it.

Having lived in Newhaven for just over a year now, the only thing that really gets me down is people constantly running it down... Which is probably the predominant reason why no money gets spent there, because people and businesses are put off moving there.

I really do think it's a cracking place to live. Yes, I admit I'd rather still live in Brighton. But there's no way the MASSIVE price differential reflects the difference in the quality of living. I recently did some research on comparing prices for similar homes, and the price for equivalent houses in Brighton is circa 220% higher than in Newhaven. And that's not to mention everything else being much cheaper too. Whilst there are downsides (predominantly a lack of nightlife) I never managed to find anywhere in Brighton (and I lived in Hanover, Roundhill, Seven Dials, Fiveways and Hove) where you could go a whole seven days without being kept awake throughout the night by some inconsiderate tosser, which is never an issue now. I find this a massive benefit.

i.e. a decent sized (120m2) house in Newhaven in a reasonable area in good condition will cost circa £210,000 in Newhaven and £460,000 in Brighton. It's also quicker to get into Brighton than much of Portslade/Southwick, which are still FAR more expensive for some reason.

Last edited:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I hoped to arrive on this revitalised thread before my town got a mention, but sadly didn't make it.

Having lived in Newhaven for just over a year now, the only thing that really gets me down is people constantly running it down... Which is probably the predominant reason why no money gets spent there, because people and businesses are put off moving there.

I really do think it's a cracking place to live. Yes, I admit I'd rather still live in Brighton. But there's no way the MASSIVE price differential reflects the difference in the quality of living. I recently did some research on comparing prices for similar homes, and the price for equivalent houses in Brighton is circa 220% higher than in Newhaven. And that's not to mention everything else being much cheaper too.

i.e. a decent sized (120m2) house in Newhaven in a reasonable area in good condition will cost circa £210,000 in Newhaven and £460,000 in Brighton. It's also quicker to get into Brighton than much of Portslade/Southwick, which are still FAR more expensive for some reason.
Newhaven is Brighton. Maybe yet to be discovered by the Londoner's who have moved down to centre Brighton, having sold their London pad to Russian er Speculators shall we say.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Newhaven is Brighton. Maybe yet to be discovered by the Londoner's who have moved down to centre Brighton, having sold their London pad to Russian er Speculators shall we say.

I like this chap! I wish it WAS in Brighton & Hove, as it would be sure to get a hell of a lot more investment than it does from Lewes DC and more young people would consider it a suitable place to move to.

Jun 18, 2011
tunbridge wells
I spent 2 years working in Barrow, staying on Walney Island. Very strange people straight out of The League of Gentlemen. I had some fun times there though. Of course, everyone time us foreigners had an evening out the entire town knew all about it by the next morning

Nudging each other and pointing at the out of towners 😉

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I really do think it's a cracking place to live. Yes, I admit I'd rather still live in Brighton. But there's no way the MASSIVE price differential reflects the difference in the quality of living. I recently did some research on comparing prices for similar homes, and the price for equivalent houses in Brighton is circa 220% higher than in Newhaven. And that's not to mention everything else being much cheaper too. Whilst there are downsides (predominantly a lack of nightlife) I never managed to find anywhere in Brighton (and I lived in Hanover, Roundhill, Seven Dials, Fiveways and Hove) where you could go a whole seven days without being kept awake throughout the night by some inconsiderate tosser, which is never an issue now. I find this a massive benefit.

I think [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] has a point though with his comments on the town centre, I have lived in Newhaven since 2001 and the town centre has got worse every year, I think there was 3 banks when I moved here.
I'm sure I'm correct in saying that Uncle S actually works in Newhaven.

I actually like living here, I hate the one way system and hardly use the town centre shops because of the parking charges.
But I do like having a decent house, one that I definitely would not be able to afford in Brighton.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I like this chap! I wish it WAS in Brighton & Hove, as it would be sure to get a hell of a lot more investment than it does from Lewes DC and more young people would consider it a suitable place to move to.

Be careful what you wish for Notters, you may get some noisy people keeping you awake at night. :)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Newhaven has great potential but has been very much neglected for a long time as a said the river and harbour are lovely

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We've got a brand new fire station being built and the new college, UTC, which will be good for youngsters who want to study something different from 'media studies'.
I have a lovely home with a fabulous view (sorry [MENTION=28056]bn9 bha[/MENTION]) which isn't spoilt by the incinerator, good transport links and a quiet location. Maybe the new college will help to draw the shopkeepers back in?

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Hailsham, Newhaven, Peacehaven and Portslade would be on my list.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hailsham, Newhaven, Peacehaven and Portslade would be on my list.

The Slarde? How very dare you!

Twenty years ago it was an utter shithole. Now its an utter shithole with several nice bits, a half decent pub, eye watering property prices and small children straight out of Posy Simmonds cartoons. The fact that they have to sashay their way through Staffies and mobility scooters just makes it edgy.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
We moved to Denton a few years ago despite some reservations that we'd be too far away from "things". And you know what , it's the best move we've made. I love being right on the edge of the downs. It's easy to get into Brighton and pretty easy to get to London by train. We've got Seaford and Lewes within easy reach. I also think that despite the crappy town centre , Newhaven actually feels like a proper place with a reason for being here ( because of the harbour I guess) unlike some other places eg Peacehaven. It's not ideal, but I get to live in a house far bigger than i could afford in many places in Sussex. I have two reasonable pubs in walking distance. There's a real sense of community and I'm now a member of a thriving bonfire society. All in all imo there are far worse places to live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here