Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Uber hid massive data hack

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I appreciate your comments re Airbnb safety, but is this any different to any other private holiday rental? Surely this is a regulatory issue?

thats the whole problem with AirBnb, there is no regulation. officially you aren't letting commercially because its short term, so no regulations applying to landlords or hotels apply. bit different to Uber where they are covered by legislation.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I appreciate your comments re Airbnb safety, but is this any different to any other private holiday rental? Surely this is a regulatory issue?

I should declare that I am pro Airbnb and Uber, but I also feel they should be better regulated. You can't halt progress, but not at any cost.

Most poeple who oppose Uber do so because of issues relating to the drivers, but the drivers are a temporary thing in Uber's eyes. As soon as technology allows they will be phased out.

Would those who currently boycot Uber, use the service in the future once the driver element has been removed by self driving cars?

who are you going to talk to about the , football, weather,bad drivers, council screwing up the road whilst getting to your destination

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
who are you going to talk to about the , football, weather,bad drivers, council screwing up the road whilst getting to your destination

Isn't that why God created NSC?

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
thats the whole problem with AirBnb, there is no regulation. officially you aren't letting commercially because its short term, so no regulations applying to landlords or hotels apply. bit different to Uber where they are covered by legislation.

That is my point, regulation needs to be asserted, This is a political issue. Airbnb currently operate within a vacuum. So to do the written press and broadband infrastructure suppliers like the useless BTOpenreach, a particular nemesis of mine.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
EU legislation to come in next year would have hammered Uber - https://euobserver.com/digital/139975

That article's wrong - the maximum fine for non-compliance with GDPR is 20m euros or 4% of total global revenue. The fine is set according to the nature of the breach and mitigating circumstances so we don't know what the fine would have been, but several lawyers I've spoken to about this say that the authorities will want to fine a big name pretty early, pour encourager les autres.

Personally, I'd no more give personal details to Uber than I would leave a laptop and wallet by the open window of a car. A company that's happy to skirt around issues like driver checks, play fast and loose on workplace safeguarding, and tread a fuzzy line on workers' rights is probably going to be less than diligent in safeguarding customer data.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That is my point, regulation needs to be asserted, This is a political issue. Airbnb currently operate within a vacuum. So to do the written press and broadband infrastructure suppliers like the useless BTOpenreach, a particular nemesis of mine.

Neither the written press nor BT Openreach operates in a regulatory vacuum. The press is monitored by IPSO and telcos are regulated by Ofcom. You could well argue that IPSO is a pretty weak regulator but Ofcom isn't - it fined BT £42m earlier this year - and has levied fines regularly against operators.

I should declare that I am pro Airbnb and Uber, but I also feel they should be better regulated. You can't halt progress, but not at any cost.

Most poeple who oppose Uber do so because of issues relating to the drivers, but the drivers are a temporary thing in Uber's eyes. As soon as technology allows they will be phased out.

Would those who currently boycot Uber, use the service in the future once the driver element has been removed by self driving cars?

At what point is removing jobs from real people a good idea? Everytime you bypass people in proper jobs you are undermining society and the community that we and our children live in.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Neither the written press nor BT Openreach operates in a regulatory vacuum. The press is monitored by IPSO and telcos are regulated by Ofcom. You could well argue that IPSO is a pretty weak regulator but Ofcom isn't - it fined BT £42m earlier this year - and has levied fines regularly against operators.

Ofcom regulate telecoms services, the infrastructure side of the business is unregulated. A cynical man would argue that this is why BT is so keen to split the two sides of the business.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
At what point is removing jobs from real people a good idea? Everytime you bypass people in proper jobs you are undermining society and the community that we and our children live in.

I don't agree, that is anti progressive nonsense. My mother worked in a typing pool but she was put out of work by a photocopier. My father was a master printer, but he was made obsolete by desktop publishing. They both retrained in different industries and I grew up none the worse for it. My business wouldn't function without photocopiers or desktop publishing software.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ofcom regulate telecoms services, the infrastructure side of the business is unregulated.

That's not true. The £42m fine I mentioned was levied by Ofcom for a breach of compensation requirements by BT OpenReach. "The penalty is a result of an investigation by Ofcom into BT’s network arm, Openreach."

More details here

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Is this why they lost their london license?

No, the hack mainly affected American customers. The London license was lost due to "TfL concluded the ride-hailing app firm was not fit and proper to hold a London private hire operator licence.
It said it took the decision on the grounds of "public safety and security implications".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41358640

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ofcom regulate telecoms services, the infrastructure side of the business is unregulated. A cynical man would argue that this is why BT is so keen to split the two sides of the business.

the split is to remove the highly regulated and static infrastructure side away from the regulated telecom service and regulation lite media sides. they have been accused for years of using domination in one to restrict access to the other (despite so many retail competitors), and cross subsidising from infrastructure to retail (despite the higher pricing on retail to competitors). they want to protect themselves being asked to subsidise the infrastructure from the retail side if/when media takes off, and more simply to take the attention off. personally, i think it would be good if the infrastructure was spun out along the lines of National Grid, but i've read reasons why this would be counter productive.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I don't agree, that is anti progressive nonsense. My mother worked in a typing pool but she was put out of work by a photocopier. My father was a master printer, but he was made obsolete by desktop publishing. They both retrained in different industries and I grew up none the worse for it. My business wouldn't function without photocopiers or desktop publishing software.

But they did raise you to look like a clown?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not as impressive as Equifax, the US credit rating company. They lost the financial information of 143 million subscribers. And the directors made sure they flogged their shares before announcing the breach to the media.
They should have their assets frozen and go to prison for insider trading.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here