Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pooh pants.

I thought I had the moral high ground with a chap today, but he did 7 miles more, albeit with only half the climbing.

He nipped across a junction I was approaching, so I ended up following a couple of hundred yards behind.
The thing was at the moment there was any kind of incline, no matter how small, he was up out of the saddle violently swinging every from side to side. But with very little forward momentum.
All the while looking over his shoulder for me.

We were approaching Bury Hill, I'm shoveling everything I have left down my throat, and he disappears.
Taking the cowards way out (I should know I've done it enough times :lol:), looping round to go up the easier climb.

Anyhoo after grinding my way up Bury he's right there in front of me again, ready for the descent.

I took him at warp factor going down the hill, desperate to meet him at the junction on the bottom, so I could mention his route.
I'm very sure he wasn't expecting to see me again, let alone speeding past him.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Some top getting-up-too-quickly-dizzy-spells this afternoon.

???
I get those constantly, especially after any type of exercise that day. I'm constantly mocked by Mrs IL as I leap up the half keel over, hands on knees!

Mind you, she wasn't laughing when the ticker actually went dodgy!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well done, do you have a computer or Strava app on your phone.

If so head over and sign onto the Geeks Strava page, link in my signature.
It kind of like Facebook for bikes, where we all our rides get automatically logged.

If you take to it, you'll find it a good place to find new routes and roads plus get further, much needed, encouragement.

Just don't forget to introduce yourself.

Think you may have just nailed another reason that I couldn't quite define as to why I've been increasingly moving away from Strava lately (apart from doing next to bugger all proper rides that is :lolol:). Aside from sometimes spoiling the enjoyment of rides rather than enchancing it, I'm really not too comfortable with all this following stuff and the pressure to almost be looking on there all the time to see what everyone else is doing. Never done Facebook or Twittter in my life and no intention of doing so. The thought of social media slavery does not appeal.

I do like Strava to see where your own rides have taken you though and it does challenge you quite nicely, so long as you can keep things in proportion and not get too obsessed by it. Must admit I quite enjoy commuting everyday without recording it now.

I've just been on Strava to try to check a club ride route for tomorrow only to find two of my old rides have been flagged. One was ridden with armchairclubber, so I might be the victim of his problems by association, but the other large group club ride I have no idea how it could have been flagged and by whom? I've unflagged them for now with a - trust me, it's fine - but it's weird how old rides would suddenly get flagged now. There's some really odd people out there it would seem.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Think you may have just nailed another reason that I couldn't quite define as to why I've been increasingly moving away from Strava lately (apart from doing next to bugger all proper rides that is [emoji38]ol:). Aside from sometimes spoiling the enjoyment of rides rather than enchancing it, I'm really not too comfortable with all this following stuff and the pressure to almost be looking on there all the time to see what everyone else is doing. Never done Facebook or Twittter in my life and no intention of doing so. The thought of social media slavery does not appeal.

I do like Strava to see where your own rides have taken you though and it does challenge you quite nicely, so long as you can keep things in proportion and not get too obsessed by it. Must admit I quite enjoy commuting everyday without recording it now.

I've just been on Strava to try to check a club ride route for tomorrow only to find two of my old rides have been flagged. One was ridden with armchairclubber, so I might be the victim of his problems by association, but the other large group club ride I have no idea how it could have been flagged and by whom? I've unflagged them for now with a - trust me, it's fine - but it's weird how old rides would suddenly get flagged now. There's some really odd people out there it would seem.
There are some odd people indeed.

If you can't be arsed with it then just make all your rides private.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There are some odd people indeed.

If you can't be arsed with it then just make all your rides private.

Thanks, hadn't really thought of that. I notice some of the club riders record their ride on a device but it never appears on Strava. Must be what they do then. I'll have a look into how to do that then I think, especially if I've now got myself a flagger.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Pleased to hear that IL.

I think I'm a target strava sucker 10. Its a great way of seeing what your chums are up to and motivating each other.

Thanks stat, my thoughts too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks, hadn't really thought of that. I notice some of the club riders record their ride on a device but it never appears on Strava. Must be what they do then. I'll have a look into how to do that then I think, especially if I've now got myself a flagger.

Flagging is definitely a Lesser Sussex phenomenon.
A couple of weeks ago I was looking at a local segment, the #1 was an average of 56 mph :ohmy:
Unsurprisingly it looked somewhat out of place with the rest of their ride, but as no one had complained I wasn't going to start.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Rudland bicycles are good I find, there is not one local but can either be a nice trip or they will deliver of you know what you want, got a Giant Defy 3 2014 towards the end of last year for around £400 although after the uplift in the cycle to work scheme paid closer to £500 but if you are buying cash definately worth a look and it was still far cheaper on the scheme than anyone else.

I notice its now back up to £700 for the 2014- I bought at the start of September when they had a sale on pretty much every bike they had

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Booo - In a relatively quiet week for the geek Strava leader board, I've been knocked down to third by just 0.3 miles.
It's somewhat tough to complain though as it's [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] that's elbowed me out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here