Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zola- getting backed

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I would take Zola, like the style of his teams.

That said, isn't this a bit self fulfiling. Someone sticks £100 on him, the odds start to move down, people see the odds move down and think, hello, and then start putting smaller sums on, but with large volume, before you know it, Zola is a new favourite with no real basis for it. Only winners are the bookies.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very impressed by Zola and on the face of it he looks like a good appointment..

However - he did have some obscenely good players at his disposal, players like Forestieri and the like. It's not like he left Watford after the play-off disappointment, he signed up for another season but couldn't motivate his troops. They languished in 13th place before he finally got the sack. Not saying he wouldn't be great for us but worth bearing in mind.

Also, you'd need to consider his close friendship with Poyet - I'm not 100% sure he'd want to join us after that monumental bust up...

He wasn't sacked. He resigned.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I would be happy to have him as our manager. Knows the division, plays football the right way. Good contacts. Plus I think he is a decent honourable guy. Whenever I've seen him on tv he always speaks well and has class. A yes from me.

Comedy value of bloom and Zola together. Brilliant.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Watford was probably the best side that I have seen play at the Amex. They just cut through us with ease. As someone has said Zola only seems to manage one good season.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Watford was probably the best side that I have seen play at the Amex. They just cut through us with ease. As someone has said Zola only seems to manage one good season.

Given the average short tenure of Chamionship nanagers, it might ve worth taking him just for one good season. He's a bit too nice to be a good manager though.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
He must have an interview, I also see Chris Powell odds are slowly coming down.
I would think
Sherwood, Hughton, Clement/ Garde, Neville, have been interviewed, hence their odds. It now must be Zolas interview today, with maybe Powell tomorrow.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Could've sworn I put a thread a couple of weeks ago about Zola and most people were saying how they wouldn't want him here!

I'd be happy.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Given the average short tenure of Chamionship nanagers, it might ve worth taking him just for one good season. He's a bit too nice to be a good manager though.

Does seem to be charming guy. The key would be to complement this within the set up i.e. have a right hard ******* as his No2.

These odds are volatile though. It's a small market and the bookies must be wary of insider knowledge. Could be someone elses odds tumbling tomorrow.

Personality-wise somewhere betwen Gus and Oscar so that would fit.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Let's just get it over with purleeease! I don't care if we get Eddie Stobart in to drive us down to the Conference, just sort it out, good or bad, competent or incompetent, stick a pin in the list and sign him/her up whoever that may be.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He must have an interview, I also see Chris Powell odds are slowly coming down.
I would think
Sherwood, Hughton, Clement/ Garde, Neville, have been interviewed, hence their odds. It now must be Zolas interview today, with maybe Powell tomorrow.

Their odds come down because one person posts on the internet that he's heard a rumour, then three or four people put bets on. That's all it is.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Zola would be great - yes, please.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Their odds come down because one person posts on the internet that he's heard a rumour, then three or four people put bets on. That's all it is.

That is one way, the other way is that the person who has an interview, tells people close to him and they pass on the info. Not seen anyone mention Chris Powell yet and his odds are coming down.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That is one way, the other way is that the person who has an interview, tells people close to him and they pass on the info. Not seen anyone mention Chris Powell yet and his odds are coming down.

Without mentioning any names, I do believe an NSC regular plucked an entirely random name out of the air last time the manager's job was up for grabs- and I mean really obscure, someone from overseas that none of us had ever heard of- and subtly threw it into the mix to see what would happen. Sure enough, within hours, that manager's name was listed amongst the betting odds online.

I'm not saying that there are any rumours with substance out there, but that the vast majority are complete horseshit, and that the betting is based on nothing more than a few cheeky punts and word spreading amongst groups of mates. I like Chris Powell, seems a nice guy and did a reasonable job at Charlton, but I'd be enormously surprised if he ended up here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here