Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Poor Serena

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Serena Williams' coach Patrick Mouratoglouto reportedly told ESPN: "I was coaching but I don't think she looked at me."

Then tweets the following:

"The star of the show has been once again the chair umpire. Second time in this US Open and third time for Serena in a US Open Final. Should they be allowed have an influence on the result of a match ? When do we decide that this should never happen again?"

So coach admits to illegally coaching during the match and then blames the umpire.

Umpire enforces rules on verbal abuse and racquet abuse by Williams and is subsequently called a thief and accused of sexist behaviour.

"This has happened to me before. This is not fair. There are a lot of men out here who have said a lot of things and do not get that punishment. Because I am a woman you are going to take this away from me? That is not right."

A great shame for Osaka who was outplaying her and would almost certainly have won regardless of the histrionics and meltdown of Williams.

Classless from coach and player.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Serena Williams' coach Patrick Mouratoglouto reportedly told ESPN: "I was coaching but I don't think she looked at me."

"The star of the show has been once again the chair umpire. Second time in this US Open and third time for Serena in a US Open Final. Should they be allowed have an influence on the result of a match ? When do we decide that this should never happen again?"

So coach admits to illegally coaching during the match and then blames the umpire.

Umpire enforces rules on verbal abuse and racquet abuse by Williams and is subsequently called a thief and accused of sexist behaviour.

"This has happened to me before. This is not fair. There are a lot of men out here who have said a lot of things and do not get that punishment. Because I am a woman you are going to take this away from me? That is not right."

A great shame for Osaka who was outplaying her and would almost certainly have won regardless of the histrionics and meltdown of Williams.

Great mental focus shown by Osaka in still seeing it through, despite the huge disruption. So often the disrupter gains, with the match changing on that moment.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Great mental focus shown by Osaka in still seeing it through, despite the huge disruption. So often the disrupter gains, with the match changing on that moment.

Heavy fine and ban to follow...surely the tennis authorities will take a firm line or is she such a big name they will back off

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
As always with these blue riband sporting finals (it's the same in England), Yanks paid mega money to get tickets to see the sure bet of a glorious home win.

The irony being, of course, that they could easily have treated Osaka as one of their own. She has American (and Japanese) citizenship and has lived there since she was 3.

When she's winning regularly, you can bet they'll tell you she's American.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

All a bit, our ultras stormed the gate but but but it wasn't their fault it was Sussex police's

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
She's played the 'sexism card' i.e. umpires/the authorities give women players a harder time than the men. She might have a case but even if she has, it was still a vile display from Williams and the crowd alike.

She may well have a point but in the context of this game it doesn't make sense - There two women fighting in the final, one had a meltdown and lost. I say this as wet lefty liberal, but the claims she's making right now are just a deflection and will probably help her avoid any sanctions. If she honestly believe that umpires are sexist (really struggle with that one) then maybe should let the dust settle for a couple of days.

Oh, and the comments on Williams' physical attributes and general attractiveness are predictable, sad and probably quite ironic.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Typical yanks from her to the crowd. Got all this shit soon in the golf.

They are truly a classless peoples. Look no further than their leader.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

If you are going to quote, can you please give the full relevant quote, not just the bit that suits your point:

"I was coaching but I don't think she looked at me," Mouratoglou said. "Sash [Osaka's coach Sascha Bajin] was coaching as well. Everybody does it."

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
If you are going to quote, can you please give the full relevant quote, not just the bit that suits your point:

"I was coaching but I don't think she looked at me," Mouratoglou said. "Sash [Osaka's coach Sascha Bajin] was coaching as well. Everybody does it."

Even including the bit about Bajin....there's the whole culture and way of being about entitlement going on from Mouratoglou, Williams and the crowd.
She'll probably take a break from tennis for a little bit and blame it on circumstance. She's an absolute beast of a player and a real role model and nice person hence last night being so depressing. It's all a bit symptomatic at the moment.
Time to switch off the news ??? :D

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good grief, they just started the trophy ceremony and the whole place booed. No class these Americans.
American, as a whole, have never had any class.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
TV coverage shows a disrespectful American crowd, some draped in Stars & Stripes, ruining the winner's moment. The crowd were anti the oveseas winner and anti the umpire. The commentators have said that she hasn't even smiled. There's harmless patriotism and there's brute, rude nationalism.

Welcome to trumps america

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Called the ref a thief after already having 2 code violations, including a coaching violation. Cost her a crucial game and she lost in straight sets to Naomi Osaka, who wins her first Grand Slam. Crazy scenes and unfair that her big win was marred by such melodramatics.

Always getting her underpants in a twist :wink:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The trophy ceremony belongs in the "what makes you cringe" thread with a gold star next to it. I have never seen a winner of a tournament look so sad and bewildered. Shameful behaviour.

Money can buy lots of things but it can never buy you class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here