Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Religion - the Church of England - what future?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Genuine question, are you saying that god would happily sit back and watch people suffer, get murdered and raped unless they ask for help?

Unfortunately yes, just look at these villages in Nigeria. https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/919422/christian-persecution-nigeria-islamic-Nasarawa

We can pray for protection but we don't see the bigger picture.

I'm not defending it, just stating facts.
What we do believe is that the 70 odd years you get in this life, is not the end, and in the next life (eternal), everything will be put right.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Free will. He doesn't interfere unless he is asked.

Free will only applies to people. Bad Things can be caused by things other than people. why does God not intervene in those cases? unable or unwilling to?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Free will.

A pity that a lot of religious people don't let their kids exercise that same free will to decide whether or not they will follow a particular religion - instead of forcing them into following their own religion

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
A pity that a lot of religious people don't let their kids exercise that same free will to decide whether or not they will follow a particular religion - instead of forcing them into following their own religion

I don't personally know anyone who forces their children. My own two have chosen for themselves. One goes to church, the other hasn't been since aged 15.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I personally think it's a great shame that modern society is becoming atheist. Christian values are in part what made the the generations of the early 20th century so great. The loss of Christian values has been hugely detrimental to the morality and wellbeing of society.

Christian Values are not solely for Christians and that is the problem they are human virtues and values for a caring modern society nothing Christian about them, they existed long before Christianity or any other religion.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Free will only applies to people. Bad Things can be caused by things other than people. why does God not intervene in those cases? unable or unwilling to?

Why is death seen as an evil outcome? Sometimes life can be short, sometimes long. But for someone to die, no matter what scenario it is, it was a guaranteed outcome at some point or another.

Maybe they are re-incarnated into the lives they always dreamed of? Maybe they died and went to heaven where it turned out to be just like Disney World Animal Kingdom? Maybe the death of whoever it was created evolutionary emotions for everyone connected to the loss, so in the long run, more people were saved than lost? Maybe God got a bit lazy and focused his attention on saving the queen? Who knows?

Maybe God works in mysterious ways?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Christian Values are not solely for Christians and that is the problem they are human virtues and values for a caring modern society nothing Christian about them, they existed long before Christianity or any other religion.

Something very similar to the 10 commandments were used by native americans before they'd even heard of Christianity.

Not sure how you could argue with any of this:

THE TEN NATIVE AMERICAN COMMANDMENTS

1. Treat the Earth and all that dwell thereon with respect.

2. Remain close to the Great Spirit, in all that you do.

3. Show great respect for your fellow beings.
(Especially Respect yourself)

4. Work together for the benefit of all Mankind.

5. Give assistance and kindness wherever needed.

6. Do what you know to be right.
(But be careful not to fall into self-righteousness)

7. Look after the well being of mind and body.

8. Dedicate a share of your efforts to the greater good.

9. Be truthful and honest at all times.
(Especially be truthful and honest with your self)

10. Take full responsibility for your actions

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I'm a cultural Christian. I like the architecture, art, music and history of the Christian religion. Evensong at St Mary De Haura or in the KIngs Chapel at Hampton Court Palace is one of the most beautiful experiences one can imagine. But I am not a believer in any way, shape or form.

Nothing wrong with appreciating the beauty of christian music and song and not believing in Christ as your Lord and Saviour.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
It was written in Greek, which was widely spoken in the Middle East at the time, and has mentions in Roman history such as Pliny and Tacitus. The latter wrote about Nero in July 64AD when the 6 day fire in Rome started, Nero blamed Christians and had them persecuted. The description of Jesus was in that Annal.
Philo and Josephus were Jewish historians who wrote about Jesus and were not Christian.
There is a stone in the Israel museum which was dug up by archeologists which mentions Pontius Pilate as procurator of Israel.

Luke is the anglicised version Lukas, Matthew Matthias (Hebrew) John (Hebrew) Yohanen (J & Y are interchangeable in a lot of languages) Mark is easy because it is Marcus.

Once again still not proof of god.peiple beleived all kinds of **** throughout history , history is only one point of veiw its always written by the winners. dragons,witches etc just some people have kept this one going . Shakespeare wrote plays based on historical figure that were factually incorrect and just that Stories. Did George really kill a dragon? Hoe absyrd but a man in the sky looking down on us even though we can see billions of light years into space ,yeah seems legit

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Once again still not proof of god.peiple beleived all kinds of **** throughout history , history is only one point of veiw its always written by the winners. dragons,witches etc just some people have kept this one going . Shakespeare wrote plays based on historical figure that were factually incorrect and just that Stories. Did George really kill a dragon? Hoe absyrd but a man in the sky looking down on us even though we can see billions of light years into space ,yeah seems legit

Who has said God is a man in the sky? Certainly not what Christians believe.
In terms of proof I don't believe there is any clear cut proof - that's why it is called faith (there is evidence but that is very different).
I would also say there is also no clear cut proof that God does not exist

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nothing wrong with appreciating the beauty of christian music and song and not believing in Christ as your Lord and Saviour.

Nor in reading about religious culture. One of my favourite writers is the Christian, William Dalrymple. I started reading his Indian histories but that led me to From the Holy Mountain, a Levantine travel book all about religion.

He’s witty, learned and a tremendous writer and talks passionately about the persecution of Christians in the Middle East, confirmed the other stories I’d read about Libertarian Maronite Lebanon and how he found Nestorians in West London rather than the Levant.

I’m sure he’d wipe the floor with me in debate, yet, ironically his description of fire worshipping Zoroastrians helped finally convince me the whole shebang was madder than a sackful of badgers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why is death seen as an evil outcome? Sometimes life can be short, sometimes long. But for someone to die, no matter what scenario it is, it was a guaranteed outcome at some point or another.

odd arguement your making since i didnt say anything about death. Bad Things dont necessary mean death, for some that might be a relief. care to try again answering the actual question? while we wait on some input from Thunder Bolt.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here