Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What happened to Andrew Whing when he left the Albion?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Went to Orient, hated living in London, wanted to be closer to family in Midlands, at Oxford. Long term injury problems since

He's had two operations in the last 6 months but finally on the road to recovery.

He got bumped down into the under 18s before a pre season tour with Gus, he was the only player left behind and was told to find a new club as he was not featured in Gus's plans at all. Gus even rated Hoyte ahead of him, poor bloke.

Think he did pretty well at Orient and Oxford was closer to home, pretty sure he converted to a DM for a while before dropping back into the back four, covered centre back as well as right back.

The bloke will go down as a little bit of a hero in my eyes, bloody ugly and he has a doppleganger at the back of the WSU, a serious chin on the guy. but always gave his all for the Albion, when it didnt seem like anybody else really cared. a very low point in our time at Withdean.

He was replaced by Inigo Calderon although Hoyte played in a couple of early FA cup matches. He went on loan to Chesterfield. Then he went to Orient who bought him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Very similar to Lopez wasn't he ? Whole hearted and totally committed to the cause.
I liked the boy.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Because English football fans are idiots who massively overvalue "passion" and "spirit" over the things that actually win you football games, like technical ability and intelligence?

There was not a single player (other than Whingy) who showed technical ability or intelligence that season until there was about 10 games left. Whingy was the only one who showed any kind of consistency, as well as being the only player who gave a **** for what seemed like most of the season. Fully deserved to win it that year. He was a bit of a cult hero too.

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
When we played the franchise he was the only bugger who gave 100%, which led us to sing the 'Wardy Wonderland' song about him.
He lived next door to me when I lived at the Marina.
Nice lad

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Would love to have seen him trot out at Villa Park - he always wanted to win - he gave a toss, when others around him didn't

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Because English football fans are idiots who massively overvalue "passion" and "spirit" over the things that actually win you football games, like technical ability and intelligence?

Dear God.

Extremely easy to retrospectively apply the context of now from your padded Amex seat.

Join the Sunderland board and embrace their views of the sub standard league below them.

They will welcome you with open arms.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Very similar to Lopez wasn't he ? Whole hearted and totally committed to the cause.I liked the boy.

No. Because he never jumped out of the way of tackles :smile:

Seriously though, he was pants, BUT he always gave his all (a la John Crumplin) and was solid when he needed to be. Too slow for Championship, but he did a (good) job for us and shouldn't be knocked for not being a 'cultured footballing defender'.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Such a lad. I remember seeing him absolutely STEAMING sat on his own in Creation one night, I started talking to him and that was that, we were best pals for life. He brought me all the drinks I wanted ALL night, I mean shots, champagne, doubles, everything. Then he said let's "go get some girls, who do you want, that lot?" And proceeded to start grinding on a pole in front of said birds, who knocked him back with stuff like "**** off you ugly ****" and he'd respond with "But I'm Andy Whing! Come onnnn!" :lolol: What a night that was.

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011

Such a lad. I remember seeing him absolutely STEAMING sat on his own in Creation one night, I started talking to him and that was that, we were best pals for life. He brought me all the drinks I wanted ALL night, I mean shots, champagne, doubles, everything. Then he said let's "go get some girls, who do you want, that lot?" And proceeded to start grinding on a pole in front of said birds, who knocked him back with stuff like "**** off you ugly ****" and he'd respond with "But I'm Andy Whing! Come onnnn!" :lolol: What a night that was.

These are the stories, funny not on Google.
Cheers Puppet Master

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Qualla. And I can believe it.

Least he was having a laugh rather than Fraser and co. when they used to frequent the Pier in Worthing every week... serious moody twats.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU

:lolol:

Some friends bumped into him on a night out once and jokingly sang "Number one was Andy Whing, and number two was Andy Whing" etc. and in merriment he started joining in, it got to the point where he was the only one left singing apparently!

I also remember he used to applaud himself after making a good tackle or taking a good throw-in. At Withdean once I vividly remember he made a well-timed sliding interception by the South Stand, got up and jogged back to his position applauding himself whilst staring intently at the ground, you just knew in his head he was thinking "Well done Whingy, keep it up boy. You've got this winger sussed" :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not the most gifted of players perhaps, but always a trier. Our player of the year too in 2008/09.

He was nothing more than mediocre really. The fact he managed to win Player of the Season in 2009 shows just how terrible we were that year.

He did have fighting spirit in spades though. Which is why we voted him Player of the Season..

From [MENTION=5384]Norman Potting[/MENTION] link, and to explain to [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] why Oxford, and Albion fans voted for him. Sounds like very similar circumstances:

With the benefit of hindsight, it's easy to see how a player like Whing could become a fan favourite. Yes, we can all reel off the list of Oxford's most talented players (John Aldridge, Joey Beauchamp etc) but some of the most appreciated players are the big lumps whose sole task is to flatten players like Aldo and Joey (Gary Briggs, Billy Whitehurst), who are remembered not for their quality, but for cancelling out the quality of the opposition. Of course, Andy Whing's task is far more nuanced than simply injuring opposition players, but his tenaciousness in the tackle and desire to fight for the cause is a trait that will always be appreciated by the notoriously tribal English football supporter. Few things are as satisfying for a football fan as seeing the opposition's cocky winger taken down a peg or two by a crunching challenge.

The recent chants of 'all we want is a team of Andy Whings' say as much about the team's spineless end-of-season capitulation as about Whing's popularity in the stands.

<Can you actually imagine, how HORRENDOUS it would be, mind, to watch a whole "team of Andy Whings"?!>

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
From [MENTION=5384]Norman Potting[/MENTION] link, and to explain to [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] why Oxford, and Albion fans voted for him. Sounds like very similar circumstances:

<Can you actually imagine, how HORRENDOUS it would be, mind, to watch a whole "team of Andy Whings"?!>

Who do you think would win Hansy between a team of Whings against a team of David Lopez's ?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

A meagre thumbs-up in no way does any justice to a post like that. Magnificent.

A thread full of nothing but these kind of "Brighton players out on the lash" stories would be gold all the way.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Sorry, I'm going to stop before it gets weird but...post of the year, any year, surely?

Andy Whing. POLEDANCING.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Sorry, I'm going to stop before it gets weird but...post of the year, any year, surely?

Andy Whing. POLEDANCING.

Honestly, you had to be there to believe it. I tried to get his digits too but when I looked at my phone the next day, he'd saved his name as something like "ANdyy wING LEGGEND" and it was two numbers too long.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Who do you think would win Hansy between a team of Whings against a team of David Lopez's ?

Team Lopez for sure.

Team Andy would concede countless free kicks and penalties, and team Lopez would clean up.

My god it would be a SLOW game, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here