Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most intimidating away day

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blimey I had forgotten about that. One of their fans ran out of the stand and did a high kick right in the middle of John Robinson's back!

Hence the north stand song.. " Robbo ran the millwall, Robbo ran the millwall...la la la laaaa etc"

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We were never angels as the rev and Ernest will testify. We were playing at derby I think it was in the late 70's and we stopped at the first motorway stop, toddington and a van load of Watford fans turned up..not aggro, but just normal fans and about 50 thugs charged the van and tried to turn it over...all I remember was the wheels screeching as it sped off with the back doors open!

We had some real head cases following us those days...Northampton before the days of sixsmith stadium was really nasty, but as they charged across the ground most of the fans legged it out the ground.

Funny how things come back...canvey island was like watching apocalypse now...they were all to a man homicidal maniacs and a lot of brighton fans got a kicking that day. To this day I have never been there since...like Luton!

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Shrewsbury in 2001 wasn't the nicest day out in what was meant to be a celebration
Sunderland in 1981 after all but sending them down was a bit worrying afterwards
Newcastle in 1983 at the Cup replay wasn't much fun
Luton on a couple of occasions wasn't that much fun either

You haven't mentioned the midweek trip to Grimsby where we came from 2 goals down to beat them 2-4.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We were never angels as the rev and Ernest will testify. We were playing at derby I think it was in the late 70's and we stopped at the first motorway stop, toddington and a van load of Watford fans turned up..not aggro, but just normal fans and about 50 thugs charged the van and tried to turn it over...all I remember was the wheels screeching as it sped off with the back doors open!

We had some real head cases following us those days...Northampton before the days of sixsmith stadium was really nasty, but as they charged across the ground most of the fans legged it out the ground.

Funny how things come back...canvey island was like watching apocalypse now...they were all to a man homicidal maniacs and a lot of brighton fans got a kicking that day. To this day I have never been there since...like Luton!

No M25 late 70s first service station was Scratchwood.

Funny enough I never had any problems at the old Northampton ground which was part of the cricket ground other than the poor views through the fencing

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton

Got to disagree about canvey island to a degree. It was a good punch up outside the ground, they were a very tight knit West Ham lot (at least that's what they were shouting). Think we got a bit surprised but don't think we got "done".

Oxford away in the 90's was the best battle I had. Done It 2 miles from the ground at about 3.30, nobody went to the game and we were seriously outnumbered but like to think we got the better.

Jan 30, 2008
seeing as i'm not an old fart yet i'll go for when west ham smashed us 6-0 a few years back, all got off the train dying for a piss and picked their main pub to go in, queuing up to use the bogs in the basement whilst they bellowed out "we'll be blowing bubbles" we left sharpish after some cottoned on we were brighton

sent from my sm-a310f using tapatalk
silly boy !!,you should have been in the Queens pub when Brighton ran west ham out of the pub :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
I agree that any game at the old den was intimidating! Remember us winning when Wardy scored there was hardly any brighton in the away end but there was a lot of us incognito around the ground , remember the locals fighting with the police and challenging anyone they didn't recognise , luckily I was too young to be bothered with! A strange game was the 1982 cup game at Barnet where at eve end it seemed like everyone wanted to arrack Brighton , memory may be playing tricks but I think palace were waiting for us outside. Another mention for the dell it could get very hairy there too
they were, they were playing Enfield up the road, I missed it all as i was in Barnet nick :rolleyes: got attacked before the game in pub car park by mob of Arsenal
regards
DR

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Scratchwood! Well remembered. Northampton was the fa cup match in 87 I believe. Anyone remember Oxford v Worthing c1981

Is that the one when Tony Meola was in goal for us? They came across the pitch at the end to us, but seem to remember them getting a pasting outside on and around the roundabout near the park.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The old Den in the 60s?

Has it ever been safe to go there?

My dad was a Millwall supporter in the 30s. He said the 'fans' threw sharpened coins at players. WTF?

Jan 30, 2008
Got to disagree about canvey island to a degree. It was a good punch up outside the ground, they were a very tight knit West Ham lot (at least that's what they were shouting). Think we got a bit surprised but don't think we got "done".

Oxford away in the 90's was the best battle I had. Done It 2 miles from the ground at about 3.30, nobody went to the game and we were seriously outnumbered but like to think we got the better.
it got tasty with Oxford after they came down mob handed in the FA cup, remember going to Oxford on one trip early doors mob handed on the train got off and went in Pub next thing it was surrounded by Oxford OB who marched us to the ground, in the away end at 1PM :nono: A couple of others spring to mind but the one you're talking about was the free for all with no OB :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Recall on route to forest night game our coach pulled in while a fight was in full swing 20ish a side Albion v Watford but the numbers changed with our coaches arrival and the Watford lads took flight,same night Luton fan attacked Albion at another service station. That's the 70's for yer:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here