Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Would offer you some perspective, something you CLEARLY are lacking in.

I expect this escaped your notice given you seem fearful of the lands overseas, but we actually had all 3 Brighton games post promotion on the TV, and I watched all 3 of them.

Newcastle won 9 points with 9 goals.
Brighton won 1 point with 1 goal.

Our season was over the moment we beat Wigan, we mentally checked out with the biggest party thrown in a long long time, I think it's fair to see one team as staying professional and the other letting go.

If you disagree I am flying back for the parade, you can regale me in person with your tales of SUPER FANDOM if you wish. :lolol::cheers::cheers:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Selective editing. I totally agree with you. My response was to a poster who queried effort. Disappointment fine, querying effort unbelievable.
Glad you acknowledge that disappointment is acceptable. Some holier-than-thou 'I'm a better fan than you' types are taking upon themselves to lambast anybody who feels a bit deflated after the disappointing last three matches, and blowing a seven point lead (which, let's stick to facts here, we did).

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Left click button on mouse now has a groove in it from feverish refreshing...

Left kidney now has a pain in it from feverish refreshing...

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I expect this escaped your notice given you seem fearful of the lands overseas, but we actually had all 3 Brighton games post promotion on the TV, and I watched all 3 of them.

Our season was over the moment we beat Wigan, we mentally checked out with the biggest party thrown in a long long time, I think it's fair to see one team as staying professional and the other letting go.

If you disagree I am flying back for the parade, you can regale me in person with your tales of SUPER FANDOM if you wish. :lolol::cheers::cheers:

It has clearly escaped your notice that in the three previous games:

Brighton 9 points 2 goals conceded
Newcastle 1 point 6 goals conceded.

Who was more professional then?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No, it so not false equivalences. Newcastle took 1 point from three games before winning their last 3 while we took 9, so both teams took 10 from 6. There is a need to look at the longer game. In only three seasons of last 10 has 93 points not been enough to win League.

Of course it is disappointing to fail to win title from a position of 7 points ahead. We did f*** up but I do worry about posters who think we lost the plot, failed with effort, seem to allow the immediate to be more important than the bigger picture.

I don't share your optimism that posters will somehow see that expectations will adjust, we will lose games against the likes of Burnley, Bournemouth etc also and there will be long runs of games with no win. There just doesn't seem to be the patience required to understand this will happen. NSC could be a grim place as early as September.

You compared losing to a team of the pedigree of Man Utd etc with failing to win one of three games against teams that were between 20 and 40 points behind us this season. That's a false equivalence.

You tried to suggest that the reaction today is to promotion, not to a run of 1 point in 9 against said teams so far below us, ignoring the actual celebration we had to promotion a couple of weeks back.
You compared an end of season where two of three teams could go up, none of them pulling away, with a season where we're clear of second by 7 points.

It absolutely is false equivalence.

There is a lot of anger and disappointment among our fans right now, largely due to how we were in such a great position and threw away three chances at lifting the championship trophy. Of course people will have different attitudes to games when we're facing massive teams with the talent and pedigree of top premier league sides. Yeah, some fans will still moan, I didn't mean to suggest they wouldn't. But it won't be anywhere near as bad as today. I'm moaning today, I'm incredibly hacked off with how we were in such a great position. I won't be like this if we don't win for a few games in the premier league. I haven't really enjoyed much of the football this season. I think Hughton is too defensive, but even though I think that, any time a "Hughton: in or out?" poll comes up I will vote in, because he got us up and he deserves the whole season next year. A lot of people moaning today are like me. They will have the perspective to react better to draws/losses next season because of their context.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
And you believe the players who left the field today distraught thought they had done enough and could not really be bothered?

Well they only seemed bothered once they got in front. The 2 1/2 games previously they didn't look or play like a team with so much on the line.

I've seen enough games of teams with a lot on the line throwing themselves into contests and shutting down any player with the ball playing like their lives were on the line. We did not do that, we sat back, we ****ed around with the ball, we allowed them time on the ball despite having a numerical advantage. Sidewell is excused as he played like someone who gave a **** for the whole game and was constantly throwing himself into the contest.

WGull

Jan 27, 2017
think I will take some time away from here, imagine it will be full of moaning/trolls for a few days, but I am certainly looking forward to the parade as the season should be celebrated and cant wait for summer/next season already

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
think I will take some time away from here, imagine it will be full of moaning/trolls for a few days, but I am certainly looking forward to the parade as the season should be celebrated and cant wait for summer/next season already

4 months in and youve had enough....ta ta ........:flounce:

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Seems more than a few people really aren't that disappointed. They are so enamored with the plastic PL they aren't that fussed about missing out on something the club has never achieved in winning the title.

I am absolutely gutted! More for the players themselves as they are unlikely ever to get this chance again but FFS, some of the fans on here are slaughtering those same players that have delivered in spades this season.

Gutted for them today but so so proud of the club and the team overall.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

I reckon he did well to stay around for 4 months, with all the negativity over that time :lolol:

Stuff what did or didn't happen today - Premier League, bring it on!!! :albion2:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
It's a shame and right now it hurts. It will hurt less tonight when I watch MoTD2 and start to think of our being on it next season. By the time the fixtures come out I won't even give today a second thought.

We are Premier League.

EDIT: It will also feel lovely when the playoff battle commences and we're not in it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You compared losing to a team of the pedigree of Man Utd etc with failing to win one of three games against teams that were between 20 and 40 points behind us this season. That's a false equivalence.

You tried to suggest that the reaction today is to promotion, not to a run of 1 point in 9 against said teams so far below us, ignoring the actual celebration we had to promotion a couple of weeks back.
You compared an end of season where two of three teams could go up, none of them pulling away, with a season where we're clear of second by 7 points.

It absolutely is false equivalence.

There is a lot of anger and disappointment among our fans right now, largely due to how we were in such a great position and threw away three chances at lifting the championship trophy. Of course people will have different attitudes to games when we're facing massive teams with the talent and pedigree of top premier league sides. Yeah, some fans will still moan, I didn't mean to suggest they wouldn't. But it won't be anywhere near as bad as today. I'm moaning today, I'm incredibly hacked off with how we were in such a great position. I won't be like this if we don't win for a few games in the premier league. I haven't really enjoyed much of the football this season. I think Hughton is too defensive, but even though I think that, any time a "Hughton: in or out?" poll comes up I will vote in, because he got us up and he deserves the whole season next year. A lot of people moaning today are like me. They will have the perspective to react better to draws/losses next season because of their context.

Excellent post. I'm looking forward to celebrating a point away from home from time to time next season, but not today.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
And you believe the players who left the field today distraught thought they had done enough and could not really be bothered?

They were 1-0 and up 1 man to the advantage and they still allowed Villa time on the ball and allowed them way too much space without shutting them down with frenetic intent. Given for the 2 1/2 games previously they looked non-plussed why wait til you're up 1-0 with 30 minutes to go to start caring. If they are feeling distraught then it's all down to their attitudes in the games post being promoted that lead them to this point.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

It's nothing to do with Super Famdom. After 89 minutes of the final game of the season we were top of the league. That's not checking out after beating Wigan.

We missed a couple of sitters after taking the lead today, and then conceded a goal after Stockdale made a bad error.

BrightonGuy

Jun 3, 2011
Brighton

I reckon he did well to stay around for 4 months, with all the negativity over that time :lolol:

Stuff what did or didn't happen today - Premier League, bring it on!!! :albion2:

I've been around on here for a bit longer the 4 months and a supporter for much longer than that, however circumstances change such as countries emails and therefore it becomes easier to start from new accounts. As I said before though i'm looking forward to summer a next season just rather be positive than others

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
An 89th minute goal meant I didn't collect on bets to win the title at 16/1 and on the handicap at 18/1.

I think I every right to feel disgruntled!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here