Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazing review of County Oak pub in the Argus

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Drank in there a fair few times over the last few years when I worked over that way, always found it friendly enough, and very amiable, although I am a working class scumbag:cheers::cheers:

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
The pub spy is a massive prick who loves to destroy pubs and bars.
He's obviously someone who was bullied and see's himself as some sort of important figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Oh shock and horror! It must have changed dramatically since I used to sneak in there as an underage [15 year old] in the very early 60's. I seemed to think it was the upmarket option of either The Snipe or The Wilmington. In those days they had this old pot man, Chip [never knew his real name, but someone on NSC will] who used to wander around the bar wearing his little white jacket emptying tables. Even when old enough to sup ale legally in late teens it was till a respectable place to be seen, and was just a long enough walk home to Greenfield Cres. to sober up [slightly]. How things change.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The pub has been a mess ever since Jim and Geraldine left, it had a parade of awful managers and has been dead on the rare occasion I've been in there since.

I'm sure the landlord will see that review and act accordingly if anything is not true on there.

I can't see that review doing the pub harm, the 'regulars' won't care and I can't see many people making a special journey to visit given its location. The locals will be well aware of the pub.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The pub spy is a massive prick who loves to destroy pubs and bars.
He's obviously someone who was bullied and see's himself as some sort of important figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having read other reviews on Brighton pubs by him/her I have to disagree. The Sussex, Druids (Ditchling Road) and even the bar on the pier do OK. Went in the County Oak years ago, luckily I do not think I will need to in the future.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I enjoy the Pub Spy articles. I think they have been a good addition to the Argus, probably about the thing most worth reading in it.

I don't think the articles are spiteful at all. I think they are witty, good humoured and make some good observations about the clientele that frequent those joints.

The Pub Spy probably has particular types of pub that they are more partial to, but they seem pretty fair. They gave a surprisingly positive review of the Mitre Tavern only a few weeks ago.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
That journo omitted to mention that the quality of the bugle sold in there is poor too. It's 90% talc.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Went there on a Sunday lunchtime a few weeks ago and it was fine. It was my local in seventies and early eighties and i played for the dart team. As people have said it was the upmarket pub in the area before the Wilmington was tarted up and before the Snipe closed.Shame there aren't more locals like this left in Brighton.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Cannot comment on the pub, never been in that I recall but the article is unfunny and poorly written. It reads like a 6 th former's attempt at adult humour. Piss poor.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
What you need to remind yourself when you read that review is, how many other Pub Spy reviews have you read that are particularly nasty or incredibly judgemental about a pub that you thought was actually alright. Personally I think you could say that about pretty much all of the Pub Spy reviews.

I drink in the County Oak and I’ve never felt intimidated or that it was close to breaking out into violence, let alone actually see a fight. In fact in the last year since I’ve been drinking there, I’ve been made to feel very welcome by the staff and other locals.

What the article doesn’t say is that the County Oak is a big darts pub that supports our local leagues and does a lot to keep it going in Brighton. Darts might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it is a community within the city that draws people from all walks of life. Just because the community it serves aren’t residents getting together to fight parking issues or communal bins on their Hanover streets doesn’t mean it’s like “Shameless”.

The image they portray in that review is very far from the truth in my opinion. To say the pub is intimidating and unwelcoming makes me think the journalist had decided that before they went in and was always going to write a negative review.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Articles like this actually do damage to the pub trade. The propogation of the idea that if your pub doesn't serve obscure ales alongside chef designed cuisine consisting mainly of ridiculous versions of a hamburger and the whole place hasn't been made over in a rustic stylee with expose pipework, amusing chalkboards and tall tables with stools made from the rusted bulkhead of a pre industrial revolution tractor then it should change or close rather than continue to serve the people that like it how it is. This is one of the reasons pubs are closing or turning into wankery gastro pubs with ****ing candy-floss machines and serving salted caramel popcorn as a ****ing bar snack.
If it's Cloppers Clanger ale or a gluten free pulled pork fusion burger served in a clog you want, take a stroll throughout Brighton from Church Rd to Trafalgar St, you can sample more than 30 pubs exactly like that. Why go completely out of your way to visit a down to earth community pub you know you're going to hate just so you can write that you hate it. That pubs not for you and more importantly, it doesn't pretend to be. Take it or leave it. Wanker.

Last edited:

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
You either do reviews or you don't, can't sugar coat an abysmal visit. I doubt the puke incident and pissed up staff statements are made up, so surely a fair review?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here