Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm out and about at the moment but a quick glance at wiggle would suggest this is what you need:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/jagwire-road-pro-complete-gear-and-cable-kit/

They also do them in celeste which I think you'll find will be ideal. :lol:.

Ordered but in black to fit the matt black of the mid noughties. I see the cables are fed through the housing before cutting so the wickes cutters must be for the housing?? I'll make a few longer cuts to see what I come up with or use the old housing as a tester..

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ordered but in black to fit the matt black of the mid noughties. I see the cables are fed through the housing before cutting so the wickes cutters must be for the housing?? I'll make a few longer cuts to see what I come up with or use the old housing as a tester..
The last time I did the job, I was hacking away, with the perfectly reasonable cutter on some pliers, for ages completely wrecking each cut. It was weirdly difficult and such a struggle.
So much so I went and bought my cutters, at this point the words 'hot knife & butter' spring to mind.
To this day I still can't really work out why the difference was so massive, but had I started with them I'd have saved so much time and frustration.

Edit -
Oh you're not going to like this, but you ought to prepare yourself to buy new tyres, as well.
Sorry!

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The last time I did the job, I was hacking away, with the perfectly reasonable cutter on some pliers, for ages completely wrecking each cut. It was weirdly difficult and such a struggle.
So much so I went and bought my cutters, at this point the words 'hot knife & butter' spring to mind.
To this day I still can't really work out why the difference was so massive, but had I started with them I'd have saved so much time and frustration.

Edit -
Oh you're not going to like this, but you ought to prepare yourself to buy new tyres, as well.
Sorry!

Good point I have noticed they are "flakey" and brittle. Better to change them than get stuck somewhere. I've got an unused spare set I'll look at but they are old too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Edit -
Sorry!

Exactly that in terms of cutting wires!

I used pliers first time I ever changed cables and not only did I struggle to get a cut, when I did it was all frayed. Treated myself to a lifelong investment of a pair of park tool cutters and they are worth every penny. The cut is just so clean and quick and they do a good job of nipple squeezing too....Ooh er Missus!

I think the first set of outers and inners I put on were Campag. Subsequent inner change I've just used Clarkes and they seem fine. Taking the tip from here to put some grease on them before slipping them in. Right that's enough of the Julian Clary impersonations for now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good Bike Channel TDU coverage again. Adverts very thin on the ground and they broadcast everything the host broadcast 'as live'. Thankfully Robbie McEwan has turned up, but that didn't calling Danny Van Poppel... Danny Boy Van Poppel :lolol: Can someone tell Phil that Boy is Danny's brother and isn't riding here :facepalm:

Shame to see only 3 of us in the fantasy. Scores not up yet but I'm happy enough with 1,3,5,8,12 on the stage and 1,3,4,5,9,12 on GC.

I'd convinced myself Jay McCarthy is going well,and the way he chased those boni seconds today suggests he is indeed well up for it. As I result I've opened up the seasons betting with a £2 ew @ 20/1 for GC. Can't see much value elsewhere, bar perhaps dark horse Haas @ 66/1.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've been playing around with the world tour calendar and making it into a desktop wallpaper.
This is what I came up with.
Popping it up here in case anyone wants it.
It's to fit a 17" screen.
You should be able to right click it and just save image as.

PR Wallpaper .jpg

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Shame to see only 3 of us in the fantasy. Scores not up yet but I'm happy enough with 1,3,5,8,12 on the stage and 1,3,4,5,9,12 on GC.

Goodness knows how I managed to miss this. Perhaps we should just pretend I'm there....... in last place!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Exactly that in terms of cutting wires!

I used pliers first time I ever changed cables and not only did I struggle to get a cut, when I did it was all frayed. Treated myself to a lifelong investment of a pair of park tool cutters and they are worth every penny. The cut is just so clean and quick and they do a good job of nipple squeezing too....Ooh er Missus!

I think the first set of outers and inners I put on were Campag. Subsequent inner change I've just used Clarkes and they seem fine. Taking the tip from here to put some grease on them before slipping them in. Right that's enough of the Julian Clary impersonations for now.

Putting in Clarkes if they work Jagged wire set goes back.
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] had a look at tyres thrown out 1 Grand Prix 4000 and 2 Vittoria Corsa. Now have GP on back and Corsa front. Kept pressure low at 80 psi.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Real shame Henao had a mechanical right at a crucial point in the stage today. He was the only one who would have been able to live with Porte today by the looks of it. We could have a had a real battle for the stage with Henao pushing Porte and having a faster sprint than him. Porte's race to lose now. Fair play to Porte for learning from two years ago and just going for it to drop everyone - impressive win.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Some good racing up Willunga Hill again, even if Porte did smash it for the 4th year running.

No idea where Nathan Haas came from to snatch 2nd place as he looked cooked halfway up. Great ride!
Shame McCarthy became unclipped going up as that seemed to lose him some rhythm and maybe cost him a podium place. But for Chaves, I'd have Haas and McCarthy on the podium, barring crashes tomorrow.

Excellent work by the Bike channel in showing the entire stage from start to finish 'as live'.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], are you still complaining of being overweight? I'm on a strict diet pending this cold snap. Latest decision is to cut out all sugar, so no fruit even, and dairy. My weakness is a few weekend lattes, but so far that stubborn to shift lard looks like it might be on the way. If I can keep this up the first climb might be interesting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], are you still complaining of being overweight? I'm on a strict diet pending this cold snap. Latest decision is to cut out all sugar, so no fruit even, and dairy. My weakness is a few weekend lattes, but so far that stubborn to shift lard looks like it might be on the way. If I can keep this up the first climb might be interesting.

Yeah I'm currently a pretty chunky monkey.
Hopefully my self loathing has reached critical and I'll start getting my pooh together.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wonder if anyone can help with this betting question?

I had McCarthy e/w (places 1-3) with one bookies.

I had Haas e/w (places 1-3) with another bookies.

McCarthy finished 3rd and Haas finished 4th. Both had same time but count back means MacCarthy got 3rd. This result is shown on UCI site, PCS etc etc.

The Haas bookies rightly marked my bet as lost.

The McCarthy bookies, having had the bet pending all day have finally just closed it as lost. How does that work then? :shrug: Am I missing something in the small print if two riders finish on the same time? Anyone had this before?

I've contacted them and they're going to look into it. Never had problems with either bookies settling bets before.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Third is third, kick up a stink, get your winning money then close the account.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Third is third, kick up a stink, get your winning money then close the account.

Exactly. UCI site, which I assume would be the official result decider, clearly has McCarthy in 3rd and Haas in 4th. No dead heat declared or anything like that, but they are on the same time. Same times are nothing unusual in cycling though as we know.

It's not a fortune and I'm pretty chilled about it. I won't bin them off either, unless they refuse to settle, as I've never had any problems with them before. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of thing happen before.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly. UCI site, which I assume would be the official result decider, clearly has McCarthy in 3rd and Haas in 4th. No dead heat declared or anything like that, but they are on the same time. Same times are nothing unusual in cycling though as we know.

It's not a fortune and I'm pretty chilled about it. I won't bin them off either, unless they refuse to settle, as I've never had any problems with them before. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of thing happen before.
Bookies being bookies I might have expected you to say they were only paying a percentage on third, but to pay nothing has to be almost unheard-of.

Perhaps you'll be better off opening the question up to others here that know this stuff properly.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bookies being bookies I might have expected you to say they were only paying a percentage on third, but to pay nothing has to be almost unheard-of.

Perhaps you'll be better off opening the question up to others here that know this stuff properly.

I think todays stage with the boni seconds and the count back system has thrown them. It's almost like they're playing fantasy without reading the rules, either that, or I am :lol:

I'll give it 24 hours and see what turns up. I can't really see how they can't settle it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

You were right, they have now changed to a pay out, but only a percentage. "Place reduction 1/2".

The cheeky so and so's!

I think I'll open it up to the main board as I'm curious how this works. It's not like a dead heat in a horse race where two horses are placed equally. McCarthy is clearly 3rd and Haas 4th, or else I've got a case with the other bookies for paying out on Haas, surely?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You were right, they have now changed to a pay out, but only a percentage. "Place reduction 1/2".

The cheeky so and so's!

I think I'll open it up to the main board as I'm curious how this works. It's not like a dead heat in a horse race where two horses are placed equally. McCarthy is clearly 3rd and Haas 4th, or else I've got a case with the other bookies for paying out on Haas, surely?
Blimey you should be ashamed of yourself for how long it took that penny to drop :facepalm:

Of course the other bookie won't pay out on Haas, he came fourth. :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here