Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skinhead

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
spot on, Bushell has always been a prize twunt, and didn't disappoint at this juncture

Oi! was a pure fabrication, manufactured solely by Garry Bushell as a laugh to give his shitferbrains mates down the pub some easy beer money. Only Sounds (pretended to) take it seriously or give it any kind of coverage. NME and Melody Maker never touched it with a barge pole except to quite correctly sneer at it. Ever get the feeling you've been HAD?
a

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As far as TV docs go on yoof culture go I thought this one was pretty good. I know people who thought it was crap and some who raved. Personally as an impressionable 9'year old, Madness opened my eyes and ears to the world of music and youth culture, I lapped it all up, the late 70's up until late '81 was a fantastically fruitful time for music here, lots of it influenced from the Windies.

Fortunately I never discovered the existence of Oi and other retarded fascist outlets until I was old and wise enough to fully understand what an utter bunch of counts they really are.

It appears to be making a bit of a comeback at the moment, which is a worry.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As far as TV docs go on yoof culture go I thought this one was pretty good. I know people who thought it was crap and some who raved. Personally as an impressionable 9'year old, Madness opened my eyes and ears to the world of music and youth culture, I lapped it all up, the late 70's up until late '81 was a fantastically fruitful time for music here, lots of it influenced from the Windies.

Fortunately I never discovered the existence of Oi and other retarded fascist outlets until I was old and wise enough to fully understand what an utter bunch of counts they really are.

It appears to be making a bit of a comeback at the moment, which is a worry.

What is making a bit of a comeback, OI or skinheads?

You mentioned Madness, I remember the first time I saw them about 1980 or 81 at the Brighton Centre, a big mob of skinheads kicked the crap out of anyone around them in the standing area.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If you drank in the bel at that time you would know I would have thought

I didn't, but I'm just reading the thread and was trying to work out who Jimmy was, you mentioned him in your post as if everyone should know who he is :shrug:
What year are you talking about? Original skinheads late 60s or the revival late 70s early 80s?

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I didn't, but I'm just reading the thread and was trying to work out who Jimmy was, you mentioned him in your post as if everyone should know who he is :shrug:
What year are you talking about? Original skinheads late 60s or the revival late 70s early 80s?
Not at all just saying if you drank in the pub chances are you would know Same as if we drank in the same pub you would probably know me
But I think you know what I meant

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not at all just saying if you drank in the pub chances are you would know Same as if we drank in the same pub you would probably know me
But I think you know what I meant

Sorry mate I didn't know what you meant, I wouldn't have wasted my time asking you otherwise. I just thought ' Jimmy ' was some sort of Skinhead legend.
Anyway what year?
I have a bit of an interest in skinhead culture.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Sorry mate I didn't know what you meant, I wouldn't have wasted my time asking you otherwise. I just thought ' Jimmy ' was some sort of Skinhead legend.
Anyway what year?
I have a bit of an interest in skinhead culture.
Late 70's early 80's

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Late 70's early 80's

I was still at school back then, I used to go to a fair few punk gigs, don't remember loads of skins from Brighton ( regular faces ) there were more punks.
Some used to show up at gigs but I'm sure they were from London, and obviously loads used to come down on bank holidays.

I was still at school back then, I used to go to a fair few punk gigs, don't remember loads of skins from Brighton ( regular faces ) there were more punks.
Some used to show up at gigs but I'm sure they were from London, and obviously loads used to come down on bank holidays.

Plenty of skinheads in the suburbs Crawley,Horsham and Burgess Hill and many other Sussex towns i'm sure! Bosun mid 70's had a few skin heads tbf!

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I think when it started it was more or less the same thing down here I mean punks and skinheads used the same pubs went to the same gigs It changed a bit later on about the same time as Oi Shame really

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Plenty of skinheads in the suburbs Crawley,Horsham and Burgess Hill and many other Sussex towns i'm sure! Bosun mid 70's had a few skin heads tbf!

When did the Bosun change it's name?
I remember going to see UB40 at the Brighton Centre around 1979, I was walking up West Street after and a mob of Skinheads were walking up opposite the Bosun ( or whatever it was called that year ) A load of blokes came out of the pub and wanted to take on the skins, nothing really happened though.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

This is a good book.

In my day it was always the Crawley skins that you kept away from.
There was one big nasty ginger cvnt who was always starting fights at gigs etc including one night at the dolphin fair in HH when I was on the end of it after he walked past me at the same time as a fair ground mechanical chicken (I kid you not) decided to start clucking and big ginger cvnt thought it was me laughing at him, so he beat the shit out of me.
Happy days.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here