Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Immigration soaring

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have no issues with the culture side of immigration at all. My issue is that we as a country can't support the population growth as it currently stands - roughly 400k extra every year ( a 50/50 ish split between births and immigration ).

> We don't build enough homes for this increase
> We don't increase services such as doctors, school places, NHS resources etc to match this growth
> We don't generate enough jobs to cover this growth

We, as a nation, therefore have two stark choices :

1. Reduce the growth - only two real ways of doing that, control how many children are born ( not sure anyone would support that ) or control immigration.
2. Invest heavily in infrastructure but what do we do year on year while we ramp up ? We only built around 100k new homes last year - that is a small dent in the requirement to house an extra 440k people and doesn't take into account the increasing trend of people living by themselves.

So for me controlling immigration isn't a racist, cultural or bigoted thing to do, it's the pragmatic, sensible and practical part solution to population growth.

And I haven't even touched on digging up the green belt, supply of food and water problems and the ever increasing level of cars population growth brings !
These issues need to be addressed on a global scale rather than a local UK one. I don't think you will fund any viable solutions at a local level.

Global problems need global solutions so we need to shift our thinking away from nations and out to addressing the needs of the planet as a whole.

D

Deleted member 22389

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Britain-s-primary-schools-bursting-seams.html

Brighton and East Sussex named on this for being short of school places. Never have I heard of this problem before.I hope by the time all these children leave school there are going to be enough jobs, enough of everything really.
It's just further proof really, that the UK is become overpopulated.

Other places feeling the squeeze include Birmingham, Bradford, Bristol, Kent, Essex, Buckinghamshire, Hampshire, Brighton, East Sussex, Sheffield and Milton Keynes. The reason is simple — in these areas there are too many children applying for too few places

In 2000, 15 per cent of all births in the UK were to mothers born outside the country — in 2010, it had risen to more than 25 per cent. This is because the number of foreign-born women living here has increased, and also because they have more children than British-born women, since they are more likely to be aged 25 to 34, when fertility is at its highest.

Research by the Office of National Statistics has revealed that in 2011 the TFR was 1.84 for UK-born women and 2.21 for women born outside the UK. Women born in Romania had a TFR of 2.93, the highest of any EU country, while Polish women contributed the largest number of babies.

And it is not a trend that is likely to reverse any time soon. On Thursday, the ONS released figures that showed net migration to Britain has surged by 68,000 in the past year to 243,000.

That means that projections about future demand could already be too low.

The Department for Education has predicted that the number of pupils at primary schools will rise this decade from 4,305,000 to 4,684,000 — a growth of 8.8 per cent. The rise is equal to another 1,440 average–sized primary schools.

Last edited by a moderator:

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
It always bemuses me when there is discussion about funding for the NHS. Normally the words cuts & crisis are used. Although factors like obesity & the ageing population are frequently mentioned the fact that the population is growing due to immigration isn't as much. It would be interesting to study who uses the NHS the most too. I wonder in years to come if we'll be able to afford the NHS in its current form if immigration carries on like this.

D

Deleted member 22389

It always bemuses me when there is discussion about funding for the NHS. Normally the words cuts & crisis are used. Although factors like obesity & the ageing population are frequently mentioned the fact that the population is growing due to immigration isn't as much. It would be interesting to study who uses the NHS the most too. I wonder in years to come if we'll be able to afford the NHS in its current form if immigration carries on like this.

It's exactly what you mention here that annoys me. The BBC are a classic example of where they don't actually mention immigration as some of the contributing factors to these problems. Best to sweep it under the carpet. This country is walking in to a major problem and nobody wants to do anything about it.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Have you not noticed the huge amount of NHS staff immigration has provided?

D

Deleted member 22389

I agree, but on the other hand we wouldn't need all the extra staff if we didn't have immigration in the numbers we have experienced.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
We have some 20 000 foreign students over here in Finland per year mainly in university and university of applied sciences . But the reason why I m moaning is that we have free studying so we tax payer are giving this money for foreigner!!! This means that we luckily have only 1500 refugee / year + some asylum seeker´s totally we have some 150 000 foreign person here now. And belief we don´t want any more of this person here! For example Sweden is taking 100 000 refugee per year that is in saint!!!! In Stockholm is more no Swedish then Swedish!! I´m not a racist but think again our language is 2 hardest in the world after mandarin chinese! Those foreign don´t even want to speak Finnish ( if they have kid they can speak Finnish but parents don´t) and we just pay for them social security+unemployment benefit+housing allowance+child benefit+free+free education including university+ heath care and so on! You might think that I m moaning for nothing and maybe so but I wanna keep my country Finnish as possible!

The whole of Scandinavia is like the promised land for immigrants. I was in Denmark recently and was amazed at the numbers of Africans there was there.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham

Yes I have & I don't recall saying I was against all immigration. Just not on the scale we are currently experiencing. Controlled immigration like the Australian system is a good thing as it benefits the country. Importing huge numbers of unskilled people has no benefit to any country. Allowing limited numbers of skilled people is clearly beneficial. Simple really but the hysterical reaction to any criticism of immigration makes it difficult to propose sensible alternatives.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes I have & I don't recall saying I was against all immigration. Just not on the scale we are currently experiencing. Controlled immigration like the Australian system is a good thing as it benefits the country. Importing huge numbers of unskilled people has no benefit to any country. Allowing limited numbers of skilled people is clearly beneficial. Simple really but the hysterical reaction to any criticism of immigration makes it difficult to propose sensible alternatives.
Would you be against immigration if there was a immigrant sitting at your desk Monday morning doing your job for less? (obviously the question is hypothetical).

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
Would you be against immigration if there was a immigrant sitting at your desk Monday morning doing your job for less? (obviously the question is hypothetical).

As I'm in the army that couldn't happen but I get your point. Surely under a points system where immigration is only allowed in to jobs where we have a need is allowed would stop that. I appreciate it's not that simple though. Until we find a way to get our layabouts off their lazy backsides & working I presume we'll need people to do the jobs they won't.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

erm, I wasn't talking to you :shrug:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Personally, I'm not prepared to give up one of the largest free trade areas in the world (about to become bigger if the EU can do the deal they are talking about with the USA) just to force some British underclass out to get a job. The trade off is not worth it.

Benefits do cost us money and we do want Brits to get off their backsides and get a job, but not at the cost of British business.

Or as Doug Stanhope would say...

When IT professionals started seeing the jobs going to Indians and the rates of pay falling, the Gov spoke about introducing rules for restricting this practice to only being permissible if the employee had skills not available in the local workforce, or was already employed by the company in an overseas office for at least six months.
But construction trades have seen the rates falling and jobs going to Polish and Eastern Europeans for many years and nothing can be done.
Immigration has adversely affected working class people in Britain, it has benefitted middle and upper class people in Britain.
If immigration affected the take home pay of Lawyers and Politicians, it would be controlled.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
When IT professionals started seeing the jobs going to Indians and the rates of pay falling, the Gov spoke about introducing rules for restricting this practice to only being permissible if the employee had skills not available in the local workforce, or was already employed by the company in an overseas office for at least six months.
But construction trades have seen the rates falling and jobs going to Polish and Eastern Europeans for many years and nothing can be done.
Immigration has adversely affected working class people in Britain, it has benefitted middle and upper class people in Britain.
If immigration affected the take home pay of Lawyers and Politicians, it would be controlled.

Yep.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
"People have got to recognise the real enemy - which isn't your neighbour. it's the people at the top."
Paul Weller, October 1984

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Apologies. Someone else responded to my post to you so when you did after that I didn't remember that it was in fact you who I'd originally quoted. If that makes sense.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
"People have got to recognise the real enemy - which isn't your neighbour. it's the people at the top."
Paul Weller, October 1984
Not in my case. My neighbour is an asshole and parks his massive car across my drive.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Not in my case. My neighbour is an asshole and parks his massive car across my drive.

He's clearly an agent for the Government hell-bent on dividing and ruling.

Jan 30, 2008
getting out of the EU for starters will see a few of them on their way :) the sooner this happens the better IMHO, NOT INTERESTED IN ALL THIS CLAP TRAP ABOUT NEEDING TO BE IN THE EU for trading reasons
regards
DR

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here