Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever really cocked up on an email ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Managed to send an email requesting a vagina (or something like that) because I didn't check what the spell check did.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Mrs forwarded an email from her work from a colleague inviting us to her wedding reception asking my advice.

I knew she didn't want to go and neglected to realise that she'd forwarded the email to everyone on the distribution list plus myself......

......inadvertently I "replied to all" with the immortal words - "SHOOT HER IN THE FACE" lol

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The boring bit.

On a similiar note when I've built reports in certain languages I have to change the word "count" to something else since it is "reserved" and have a terribly dangerous habit of abbreviating it to "cnt". Anyone who knows SQL knows I'm being lazy and need the qualify the column name as [count] with square brackets.

The reality bit

I have been known to email spreadsheets with a column labelled c*nt on more than one occasion.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The boring bit.

On a similiar note when I've built reports in certain languages I have to change the word "count" to something else since it is "reserved" and have a terribly dangerous habit of abbreviating it to "cnt". Anyone who knows SQL knows I'm being lazy and need the qualify the column name as [count] with square brackets.

The reality bit

I have been known to email spreadsheets with a column labelled c*nt on more than one occasion.

I am a bit of a purist and never qualify any columns with a reserved word be it in a table ddl or a select I almost always qualify [count] as 'Total'

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Two weeks into my current job and I was asked to allow access from the India office into the local office. Being new, to the company and not the job, I mentioned to colleagues that I would need to add some additional routing into the network. They said, you had better check with such and such. I emailed them and they said under no circumstances was this allowed. So I replied, that's fine but why are you hiring staff in India then? No reply,I then added the access. Then found out it is the CIO I was emailing. I'm still here and not heard anything about him lately, must check, got a feeling he may be gone.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'm also a purist and my name of choice is c@nt.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

I worked with a really annoying guy who set up databases, table names, columns with spaces in and prefix the column names with an abbreviaion of the data type just wrongness. Unfortunately due to the nature of the beast I had to work with dynamic SQL amd it drove me insane [] everywhere

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I worked with a really annoying guy who set up databases, table names, columns with spaces in and prefix the column names with an abbreviaion of the data type just wrongness

Columns with spaces is just plain WRONG. The data type prefix is definitely a legacy thing I've seen in a few places.

It's like the guy in my team who writes all his if statements backwards in Java
e.g. if (null != x)
He even tried to convince us it was easier to read. Needless to say, it was everyone else in the team vs him in this debate.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Columns with spaces is just plain WRONG. The data type prefix is definitely a legacy thing I've seen in a few places.

e.g. if (null != x)
He even tried to convince us it was easier to read. Needless to say, it was everyone else in the team vs him in this debate.

Tell me about it
While 1=1 is the same its C++ and Java devs who are the cuplrits
Also != I dont believe is ANSI compliant should be <> in SQL
and [dtm CallDate] seriously WTF it is indeed legacy nonsense

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
In my steamy past as a freelance food writer, I worked a lot with chefs on cookbook projects.

I was striking up a productive relationship with a up and coming New York-based celebrity chef with Cuban roots and wrote one email to him outlining the logistics that meant to say "I plan to blow you away with vivid narrative that is styled in your own voice" (or words to that effect).

Unfortunately, in my haste, I accidentally sent the email when I had only got as far as to write: "I plan to blow you" :facepalm:

Highly embarrassing, but we actually had some laffs over it and collaborated on a successful tome. But embarrassing nonetheless. :dunce:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Tell me about it
While 1=1 is the same its C++ and Java devs who are the cuplrits
Also != I dont believe is ANSI compliant should be <> in SQL
and [dtm CallDate] seriously WTF it is indeed legacy nonsense

e.g. if (null != x)
Also (possibly) stops compilers using tricks like lazy evaluation.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Have to share this one, wasn't email related, but a WhatsApp message sent to the wrong person.

About a year ago I'd recently been having problems with what I thought was an unfortunate case of Chalfonts. So not being like a majority of the male population, I decided to visit my GP for a "check up" what we me being over 40, I thought I could kill two birds with one stone and get the old prostate checked as well. Anyway turns out that rather than Chalfonts it was a slight tear. So cream in hand, I popped home to start the repair process. My wife, being the natural caring sort, had texted me (and I want to clarify "texted" via iMessage) asking if it had all gone ok. Being in the middle of administrating a small dose of cream, I ignored the message, and continued. The screen on my phone went blank. After washing my hands I picked up my phone, opened WhatsApp and sent the message "Yep all good, nothing to worry about just a very slight anal tear. Love you xx".

Now recently (about a day before) I'd been in contact with a female friend I hadn't seen for ages as she'd popped up on LinkedIn, and I'd arranged to meet for a drink. As I pressed on the blue arrow to send the above message, I was horrified to see that it was this female friends WhatsApp I had sent to the message to rather than my wife. To this day I don't think I've ever experienced the ball shrinking, toe curling, stomach sinking horror as much as then when I saw the two ticks appear next to the message.

Realizing my horrific mistake, I grabbed the bull by the horns and immediately called her to apologise most profusely for the fact that she had received this message instead of my wife, and would she mind keeping something that personal to herself. To my surprise she laughed it off, and said naturally that she would.

We did agree that it was probably for the best that we not meet up for a drink though.

Always, always. aways check the top of the WhatsApp message screen before you post ANYTHING!

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
This thread reminds of a time my brother got himself into a bit of bother at work.

While a girl was busy looking out of the window at a rainbow, he scooted over to her desk and simply typed BIG BALLS on her keyboard. It was slap bang in the middle of an email. Later on that day they were out on a cigarette break and he mentioned it to her in a kind of "that was funny right?" kind of way. She had no idea about it.. And had sent the email to a customer.

A lot of shit hit the fan but the long and short of it was that he jumped before he was pushed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here