Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club will be writing to those who purchased a ticket for Bournemouth [but didn't go]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Firstly, all Bournemouth or whatever away team are doing is providing a list of seat numbers associated to the tickets that were scanned. The only 'personal' data is held by the BHA who can identify who went and who didn't but matching the seat number to the individual that was assigned the seat when it was purchased.

Both by my professional understanding and from reading around the subject tonight, I still believe Bournemouth have released PII to a third party with no consent.

ICO definition of personal data (bold emphasis my own):

Personal data means data which relate to a living individual who can be identified –

(a) from those data, or

(b) from those data and other information which is in the possession of, or is likely to come into the possession of, the data controller,

and includes any expression of opinion about the individual and any indication of the intentions of the data controller or any other person in respect of the individual.

It is important to note that, where the ability to identify an individual depends partly on the data held and partly on other information (not necessarily data), the data held will still be “personal data”.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is an utterly ludicrous post. Barber's mismanagement of tickets and the loyalty system has created the situation. That his fix is to try and hard ball loyal, paying customers (and let's be clear, you have to have been loyal for a long time to have enough points to get away tickets this year) really is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

What he should spend his time doing, seeing as its his job and all, is create a system which is fair and allows ALL season ticket holders to get first dibs on all away games, and then sell the remaining tickets afterwards. Unfortunately he's created a totally convoluted system that demands that loyal, paying customers take advantage in order to get to the games they really want to get to.

And the worst thing about it is that by creating such a stupid system, he's stopped other loyal, paying fans that could have gone to such games from actually going. So no, you silly silly person, the buck doesn't stop with fans, it stops with him.

Just read the whole thread and this must be the dumbest post. We have 23,000 STHs and we only get 3,000 away tickets at most. So please explain why someone who has only bought a season ticket this year and hasn't been to any away games over the last seven years should have the same right to a ticket for the Arsenal game as those of us who have held a season ticket for the entire Amex period and has been to numerous away games each year?

There is nothing inherently wrong with the system, just the amount of points that were given to the cup game.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Of course it is, and you still can.

However, it is also the vendor's right to choose whether or not to sell to you in the future.

Er Bozza old chap, the inference in the article is to potentially ban people from future away games IF they pass their ticket along, AND during a potential ID check the original purchaser did not use said ticket. IF the original purchaser chooses not to go and their ticket goes unused then surely no risk of a future ban?

My only bug bear on this whole issue is that the club HAS to make it easy for any unused tickets to be returnable for sale up to maybe 24 hours before an away fixture as a result of a change in circumstances and also with none of this club credit BS. In this day and age with POS technology being enhanced almost weekly it should not be beyond the whit of Premier League teams to offer a universal return service in the same way all other major retailers do.

Dare I say it you should even be able to log on and change the assigned owner yourself to another individual on your friends and family provided they meet the required points criteria.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It wasn't one incident. As previously mentioned, people were boasting about the Hudds away game last season, and the club has said its checked the Barnet & Bournemouth cup games.

You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

So your opinion is always right? My god, what an arrogant woman you are.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Bozza - do you know when the club will be sending a letter to all fans critical of the current loyalty scheme to tell them if they refuse to support the clubs' stance, they will be deducted loyalty points and banned from purchasing away tickets?

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Only 45% of the money goes to Brighton in a cup game, and zero in a league game, so why should those fans get loyalty points?
Yes, there are some circumstances where fans can't go at the last minute, but they are few and far between.
Tickets are in great demand right now, so don't buy them unless you're sure you can go.
Yeah right oh. I had the foresight to see my dad passing away the day before derby away in 2015. I suppose the next morning football was the first thing on my mind, not my family. Glad you live in such a perfect world where shit dont happen to you. Knobhead.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
It was a shambles.

Fans who wanted to go stopped by point harvesters taking the available seats and then not showing up.

Utter, utter shambles.

Now to be replaced by fans with the most loyalty points attending matches they would otherwise not go to just so that they can go to matches they do want to go to. Still won't help fans with fewer loyalty points.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No mention of the Barnet non attendees? Why? There were thousands of these? What's the difference? If anything it's worse because these people were likely to be no where near the most loyal fans. Are they getting a letter too?

What about anyone that didn't go to a match earlier in the season? There were three empty seats near us at Watford. Will they get a letter? Where will it all end?

All very odd. Very odd.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
1 incident, but it would never have been just a one off incident. People like this who don't give a damn about the team they "support" or their fellow fans would have behaved in the same way again and again. Some major sulking going on here because the club has done exactly the right thing in stopping them in their tracks. Well done BHAFC.

All the club had to do was announce their future intentions and admit that they had a part to play in what happened. Everybody is then well aware of the new rules and we can get on with supporting The Albion. This potential legal minefield they have ventured into could bite them quite severely. All unnecessary.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What's this obsession some people have about helping fans with fewer points? They could have helped themselves last season by going to more games. It wasn't hard.

Or even when we were shit when Hyypia was around but suddenly as the loyalty system really does kick in as nice new good grounds to go to a lot of moaners.....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No mention of the Barnet non attendees? Why? There were thousands of these? What's the difference? If anything it's worse because these people were likely to be no where near the most loyal fans. Are they getting a letter too?

What about anyone that didn't go to a match earlier in the season? There were three empty seats near us at Watford. Will they get a letter? Where will it all end?

All very odd. Very odd.
Barnet didn't sell out is the difference. So no one was prevented from going by a harvester.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
I think the club could be on dangerous ground here with regards to data protection.

By providing data of everyone that was in attendance, they are also providing data (albeit invisible data) of those people that didn't attend.

To then use this against you by sending a letter to your home address is quite frankly disgraceful.

All this because of an isolated incident at Bournemouth in the Carabao Cup in which 600 fans didn't show up.

The club need to be extremely careful here because it is these sort of draconian measures where people begin to say "I don't need this hassle" anymore for a game of football. Personally I can totally understand that mentality.

If someone falls ill on the day of a game the following now applies:

They cannot give their ticket away to a friend.
They cannot sell their ticket.
They also face a ban on future games if they don't attend, despite a genuine reason for non attendance.

A lot of people are extremely disgruntled about the changes to loyalty points this season. I know someone who attended 12 away games last year, yet hasn't been able to get a ticket so far this season. That is fundamentally wrong.

Away game loyalty points should be based on away games only, and this comes from someone who has the maximum number of season ticket points.

I'd expect this sort of over reaction from Paul Barber - frankly it's in his make up. What's disappointing however is that someone more measured (dare I say our chairman Tony Bloom) hasn't reigned him in on this one.

The club have got this so wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of people are disgruntled because they could accumalate loyalty points very quickly under the previous system. The previous system was wrong. Why should someone who held a season ticket for 1 year get the same 1k pts as someone who held it for 5 years.

Where i sympathise is the previous system was in place far too long. It also arguably mis led those who thought they would be in at least t2 for aways then suddenly found themselves in t4.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here