Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Addiction

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Smug
adjective: smug; comparative adjective: smugger; superlative adjective: smuggest
having or showing an excessive pride in oneself or one's achievements.
synonyms: self-satisfied, complacent, self-congratulatory, superior, puffed up, pleased with oneself, self-approving

Just trying to give the man a little sense of perspective. :blush:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
The definition of alcoholic used by Alcoholics Anonymous (that makes the distinction between heavy/problem drinker and alcoholic) is that the 'true' alcoholic suffers from a physical (as well as mental) problem. This physical problem manifests as a complete inability to control his drinking once he has started. Thus no 'true' alcoholic can limit themselves as Phil Collins claims (also remember us alkies are notorious liars) to be doing.

Equally by AA's definition a heavy/problem drinker can, given sufficient help or reason learn to control their drinking.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Which is the most difficult to give up, booze, heroin/ morphine, or coke?
I was pondering this the other day, I gave up tags about 15 years ago, and didn't find it that tough( I'd smoked 20ish a day for thirty years), and I wondered if the three real addictive substances are harder to stop

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Which is the most difficult to give up, booze, heroin/ morphine, or coke?
I was pondering this the other day, I gave up tags about 15 years ago, and didn't find it that tough( I'd smoked 20ish a day for thirty years), and I wondered if the three real addictive substances are harder to stop

I thought nicotine was the most addictive out of those so possibly not

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
I used to have a hokey-cokey addiction but I turned myself around, and that's what it's all about.

I'm currently trying to beat my compulsion to endlessly quote Sinead O'Connor lyrics.

It's been seven hours and fifteen days.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey.

But I turned myself around.

Already posted and missing half the punchline, but nevertheless, good effort! :jester:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I smoke and believe me it's bloody difficult to stop and even when I have managed it it never left me and it only took a crisis to throw me back in. And yes, I do know it's killing me.

I think everyday life is killing everybody every day. When you smoke you definitely shorten the life it would be possible to live. I believe, and I emphasise "I", that no matter the length of your life and whether or not you choose to shorten it you should live the rest of your life enlightened. If you take an inventory and eliminate the things in your life that inhibit the joy in your life then even though your life may be shorter than it could have been it will be a happy life without things that inhibit you.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Good Q. I have 2ish or none a day, 10 a week typically. When Mrs Tackle is away (shhhh!) it may be a binge. I did a quiz once: 'do you spark up first thing' etc etc and scored 0/10 in the addiction test. As for booze, well, I have a wine lake, and take aregular dip. Am I well? Yes. Am I functional? That'll be for you to decide. Do I give a shit? Not at the moment.

Never smoke before 5. Never drink before 6 unless its match day. But . . . . I keep a close watch etc etc.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=j...efox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=7TgNWICDGaj38AflirKoBQ

Is that AM or PM Dr M? :whistle:

Last edited:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I think everyday life is killing everybody every day. When you smoke you definitely shorten the life it would be possible to live. I believe, and I emphasise "I", that no matter the length of your life and whether or not you choose to shorten it you should live the rest of your life enlightened. If you take an inventory and eliminate the things in your life that inhibit the joy in your life then even though your life may be shorter than it could have been it will be a happy life without things that inhibit you.

I agree. If I didn't do this I would probably shorten someone else's life

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I'm not sure it is. Alcoholics don't drink alcohol as their addiction makes it too dangerous. Recovery from alcoholism implies rediscovering the ability to drink in moderation. Whether that's possible I don't know.

The trouble is 3 glasses of wine a day isn't drinking in moderation by normal standards. It's all relative but 3 glasses of wine a day suggests a problem.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The trouble is 3 glasses of wine a day isn't drinking in moderation by normal standards. It's all relative but 3 glasses of wine a day suggests a problem.

At the very least, 3 glasses is half a bottle - so 5 units of alcohol a day, and 35 a week. That will always be added to on "special occasions", like weekends, or with a nightcap.

Well above recommendations, and not really "in moderation", but I still wouldn't know how to define an "alcoholic".

The recommended limits are confusing, because the risk equates roughly to driving a car each day, which no-one would think twice about.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
But stopping smoking completely is total abstinence. My question is could someone just have a few fags from time to time and never take it up regularly again.

After a mini stroke i all but gave up smoking straight away. Over the next year i had the odd one or two now and then and this petered out to none at all. The thought of smoking now makes me feel sick.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It may be a problem - possibly not doing the liver a lot of good, for example. But not necessarily an addiction though. Could be his choice to drink three glasses a day because that's what he likes doing - not an addiction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here