Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
First run in nearly a week - a 12-mile round trip to Brighton and back, in the rain. A solid 8'59 pace, bit of speed work later this week, and I'll be back to attack Hove Park on Saturday morning.

Are we planning a December challenge before it all (potentially) falls apart over the Christmas period?

Speaking of which, anybody got any tips on decent gloves for running? I had some cheap ones from Sports Direct that were great but they've disappeared since last year - open to all suggestions. A bit girly, I know, but my hands get bloody cold – even when it's relatively mild out there.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
My last gastroc tear was a grade one (physio confirmed) when it happened I thought I had been shot, could barely walk for 48 hours and was in agony but soon started to recover. Sure it'll be no worse.

Starting to wonder whether it is actually a tear

I tore my Achilles' tendon a few years ago and that had me on crutches.

Waking up this morning and whilst my calf is sore I can walk albeit with a slight limp. Even managed to jog a few steps just to test the water.

Is it feasible that it's just a sprain of sorts given that I did hear the ominous 'pop' when it happened?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Starting to wonder whether it is actually a tear

I tore my Achilles' tendon a few years ago and that had me on crutches.

Waking up this morning and whilst my calf is sore I can walk albeit with a slight limp. Even managed to jog a few steps just to test the water.

Is it feasible that it's just a sprain of sorts given that I did hear the ominous 'pop' when it happened?

Grade one calf strain by the sound of it.......don't jog yet, give it at least a week as very easy to turn G1 into G2 or 3, then you are fooked for weeks. Lots of stretching.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I just had one of those nice runs where everything feels right.

I hadn't done a run of more than about 50 minutes duration in quite some time (and those were all up on the downs so not covering vast mileage), so as my training plan was looking a bit thin this week I decided to throw in a longer run to see how I felt. Anyway, I've just run 8.8 miles in just over an hour and 2 minutes, and averaging 7:09 minute miles.

I'm pretty happy with that.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I just had one of those nice runs where everything feels right.

I hadn't done a run of more than about 50 minutes duration in quite some time (and those were all up on the downs so not covering vast mileage), so as my training plan was looking a bit thin this week I decided to throw in a longer run to see how I felt. Anyway, I've just run 8.8 miles in just over an hour and 2 minutes, and averaging 7:09 minute miles.

I'm pretty happy with that.

7:09 over 8.8 miles is very good. I can normally only maintain between 7:00 and 7:30 for about 5 miles and then that drops to closer to 8 minutes.

Think I've accepted the fact that I'll never be able to maintain a speed quicker than around the 7:30 mark

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
7:09 over 8.8 miles is very good. I can normally only maintain between 7:00 and 7:30 for about 5 miles and then that drops to closer to 8 minutes.

Think I've accepted the fact that I'll never be able to maintain a speed quicker than around the 7:30 mark

Thanks [MENTION=14284]poidy[/MENTION], I think the fact that I've been running with a friend of mine fairly regularly over and around Merrow Down has helped improve my pace immensely - most hills seem fairly trivial once you've slogged up to St Martha's church a couple of times! Hills are definitely good things to train on, even if they don't seem it at the time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
k,
First run in nearly a week - a 12-mile round trip to Brighton and back, in the rain. A solid 8'59 pace, bit of speed work later this week, and I'll be back to attack Hove Park on Saturday morning.

Are we planning a December challenge before it all (potentially) falls apart over the Christmas period?

Speaking of which, anybody got any tips on decent gloves for running? I had some cheap ones from Sports Direct that were great but they've disappeared since last year - open to all suggestions. A bit girly, I know, but my hands get bloody cold – even when it's relatively mild out there.

I thought it was you running past me when I was coming back from the 10k. You headed round by the View or Babylon Lounge or West End Cafe depending on the decade. Your well up on marathon training then. I ran yesterday in fingerless gloves and t-shirt they are a comfort but can't recommend any.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
k,

I thought it was you running past me when I was coming back from the 10k. You headed round by the View or Babylon Lounge or West End Cafe depending on the decade. Your well up on marathon training then. I ran yesterday in fingerless gloves and t-shirt they are a comfort but can't recommend any.

I was out this morning, knocky, not yesterday. I did go along that route, but carried on to the cafe/play area.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
There was some chat a few pages back about trail running shoes, and having attempted Guildford Park Run on Saturday in normal running shoes in conditions that could generously be described as 'slippery' I can now see the point of having a pair - despite that I still got round in a shade over 21 minutes and my gut feel is that I would have been close to my PB with a little more grip!

Trail running shoes now ordered!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Ran my first race in 6 months due to injury yesturday. The Hareward Relay in
Cambridgeshire. I ran the first leg from Peterborough - Wittlsey 6.5 miles partly XC in 42.16 avg 6min 30 pace. Finished in 22nd place out of 109 entrants. Good to be back.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Cambridgeshire. I ran the first leg from Peterborough - Wittlsey 6.5 miles partly XC in 42.16 avg 6min 30 pace. Finished in 22nd place out of 109 entrants. Good to be back.

That's rapid! How much quicker do you think you can go over that distance? Or how much farther could you go at that pace?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Did the Conwy half marathon in 1.56 yesterday. I was hoping for 1.50 but there is a massive hill about half way (around the Great Orme if anyone knows the area) which killed me!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

That's great running.

Anyone else doing the Hayling Island 10 on Sunday? Having failed to get into Mince Pie, I went for this as an alternative. Gotta shake off a cold and a cough first, though...

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
That's rapid! How much quicker do you think you can go over that distance? Or how much farther could you go at that pace?

Thanks mate, I ran 10 miles at 6.20 pace before I got injured in the spring. Good for a 10k in 37 minutes at my best which 6 minute mileing. Reckon with block of training looking at 6-8 weeks to get near best.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks mate, I ran 10 miles at 6.20 pace before I got injured in the spring. Good for a 10k in 37 minutes at my best which 6 minute mileing. Reckon with block of training looking at 6-8 weeks to get near best.

Impressive stuff, good luck with getting your fitness back.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Has anyone on here had problems with foot burn?

My efforts at changing running style are coming along but the fore/midfoot strike is giving me burning under the ball of my left foot.

Anyone else had this kind of issue? Any tips?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
There was some chat a few pages back about trail running shoes, and having attempted Guildford Park Run on Saturday in normal running shoes in conditions that could generously be described as 'slippery' I can now see the point of having a pair - despite that I still got round in a shade over 21 minutes and my gut feel is that I would have been close to my PB with a little more grip!

Trail running shoes now ordered!

Seems my hunch was right. I took delivery of my new trail running shoes on Friday, and ran them at the Park Run the following day in pretty much identical muddy conditions to the previous week; and promptly knocked 30 seconds off my time to bring me within 15 seconds of my PB (which was set in dry conditions).

Goes to show how much difference having the appropriate kit makes.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Anyone on for the Downland Devil on Sunday? Nine miles x-country near Steyning. Weather looks promising.
I think entries are still open if you fancy it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
-3 this morning. It's strangely very enjoyable stepping out into the dark when it's this cold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here