Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My fault, I'm afraid. Hamilton was going to Bristol yesterday - I told him he should cycle. There was the usual "Should I?" moment, when his eyes glaze over for a moment as he considers his options...

When it appeared that sense would win over, I suggested that he could just cycle 'as far as you can make it...' then get the train. It would appear that this is the option that he chose.

:)
Oh I'm surprised he didn't get the train from Worthing - Come on H we kid because we love :kiss:

On Tuesday I was asked if I wanted to ride to Bath and back, in April.
It was a short conversation.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Great stuff 1066.

Having just checked, live coverage of Strade Bianche is only on Eurosport Player, with just a short highlights programme on Eurosport.
I have no idea why they would make that decision, but whoever did needs to be shot.

And finally.
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] what were you thinking :lol: :bowdown:

It's bizarre that when Eurosport go live on the race it will virtually be over. Conveniently you see the race should be finished just in time for commentary from Preston.
I'll be all over the CN forum for live links. If I get any decent working ones like I did for Omloop I'll post them here.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I've entered the fantasy Paris-Nice. I'm Geraint Thomas' Sunglasses again.

Been enjoying getting out on the bike lately. I set myself the challenge of completing 1600km this year - probably not much for most of you, but with a toddler in the house, I get very little leave from the missus to go out on the bike! I'll enter a couple of sportives in the summer to boost the mileage, as my commute is only 5km each way, and I cannot cycle on days the little man is at nursery, because I have to drop him off.

Anyway, as I was cycling around to the north of rainy Wolverhampton yesterday, I was struck by the fact that I'm not so much a fan of my triple chainset anymore. I never use the small ring, so the extra fannying about when I index the gears is a complete waste of time. When, one day, I upgrade, I will definitely move to a compact or semi-compact. Strange, because as a newbie who knew nothing about road cycling, I was of the impression that more cogs equals a better bike. The rise of SRAM's 1x chainsets goes to show that the future, looks to be fewer chainrings.

Anyway I digress. I look forward to getting thrashed in the Paris-Nice fantasy league!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Lizzie means to do the rainbow stripes justice it seems.

Won Omloop last week and just won Strade Bianche this morning! :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right that's fantasy done.

To honour today's effort I'll be riding for Antarctica.

Flip me was it cold today, south of the Goodwood ridge was sunny, north (a few hundred yards) it was cloudy, cold and raining.
My right hand was so cold I couldn't push the chain up the cassette and had to reach across every time I wanted to change gear.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I seem to have cold weather clothing sussed now. It was cold mind, I kept my big gloves on all ride this morning. Not far out there were frozen puddles and water across the road. Then there was the crunchy noises as I rode over frost. Put the willies up me that stretch.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I seem to have cold weather clothing sussed now. It was cold mind, I kept my big gloves on all ride this morning. Not far out there were frozen puddles and water across the road. Then there was the crunchy noises as I rode over frost. Put the willies up me that stretch.

I've been a right wuss this winter and, aside from the commutes, barely been out on proper rides. Took delivery of a pair of Odlo Chill Bike bib tights today at an absolutely bargain price of £36 reduced from £100. Just tried them on and they feel lovely! If they're even half as good as the Odlo bib shorts I have then I'll be more than happy. Now all I need to do is get out in them and ride, but I'll have to find my mojo first for that to happen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The highlights, in the loosest sense of the word, made Strada look like a very good race.

We certainly enjoyed x's ride.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The highlights, in the loosest sense of the word, made Strada look like a very good race.

We certainly enjoyed x's ride.

They showed the race profile, and really 'bigged up' the actual strade Bianchi, and then only showed the riders on one of them. Wish I'd been in earlier to watch the stream.

My watching Mojo is back though. I love Fab.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
About 5 weeks to the Greater Haywards Heath Bike Ride our focus this year will be the Maternity Unit of the Princess Royal Hospital. Sign up visit www.hhbikeride.co.uk You can get sponsorhip for your chosen charity. Or just ride for training or fun.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
They showed the race profile, and really 'bigged up' the actual strade Bianchi, and then only showed the riders on one of them. Wish I'd been in earlier to watch the stream.

My watching Mojo is back though. I love Fab.

To be fair, the live Rai coverage was pretty poor (although the stream quality was excellent). They went quite late to the race, helicopter shots were very distant and they had a habit of going to tourist promotion videos of Siena right when we least needed them.

This year's addition wasn't as exciting as previous years, but the finale was still very good. If cycling sponsors gave MoM awards for this race then Brambilla would have won it hands down. Superb ride from him today!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We had:-

'If you thought the last 15% climb was tough, just wait 2kms for the 18% one'.

Race then cuts out the next 10kms.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:bounce:

Paris - Nice starts on Sunday.

I've created a fantasy league for it if anyone fancies it. Nice and simple, pick and let it run, Velogames again. See link.

http://www.velogames.com/paris-nice/2016/#

League code is: 05000120

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Oh I'm surprised he didn't get the train from Worthing - Come on H we kid because we love :kiss:

On Tuesday I was asked if I wanted to ride to Bath and back, in April.
It was a short conversation.

I think your previous Rule 5 winter riding post stirred me into action.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
About 5 weeks to the Greater Haywards Heath Bike Ride our focus this year will be the Maternity Unit of the Princess Royal Hospital. Sign up visit www.hhbikeride.co.uk You can get sponsorhip for your chosen charity. Or just ride for training or fun.
The entrance money goes to the bike charity any money you raise by sponsorship goes to your own charity and it's cheaper to sign up as a charity group.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think your previous Rule 5 winter riding post stirred me into action.
Great week to wake up.
I've done 211.4 miles this week and thanks you and your 90, plus [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] not even being a human.
I'm still not going to get any top spots on Strava.

I love the lunacy of your ride.

'I've not been riding all winter'.
'The etape will soon be here, and I feel really guilty'.
'I must ride'.
'I know tomorrow I'll ride 90 miles to Basingstoke, into a headwind, and everything will be alright'. :lol:

:bowdown: BRILLIANT :bowdown:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Track World Championships...wish I'd been there. Another gold for Laura Trott in the Omnium. Kiren and Madison to come. Compelling viewing.

I'm going to remind myself how to ride a bike this week.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Track World Championships...wish I'd been there. Another gold for Laura Trott in the Omnium. Kiren and Madison to come. Compelling viewing.

I'm going to remind myself how to ride a bike this week.

I really can't get track cycling at all. Think I'd rather watch the Paris - Nice prologue than that. Although I won't because I've already seen the results.

Glorious weather today and finally got some half decent miles in at long last. Those Odlo bib tights are amazing for £36! I can see why they retail at £100. Got them from Amazon believe it or not. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...chill+bike&dpPl=1&dpID=31zBOy3e5UL&ref=plSrch

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here