Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I raised the issue of Gibraltar earlier and it fell rather flat. No problem. (The population is around 33,000.)

I raised the issue of the £200m a year fishing industry in The Falkland Islands and it's exports to The EU being at risk of punitive tariffs amongst this quest to take full control of our waters from The EU and the CFP in the fishing debate and it went largely the same way as your mentioning of Gibraltar. Perhaps the livelihoods and wishes of our overseas territories are just a price worth paying?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
'Predicts' ... the same OECD that had to revise it's 2016 forecasts upwards after the doom failed to materialise, will you ever learn?

Well lets hope so, I wouldn't be betting anything on it

Even if they are wrong which most forecasts usually are to some degree, we're still be way down the league compared to where we were before the vote.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I've been impressed by the passion of debate on the fishing issue. I looked up the numbers employed:

Around 12,100 fishermen were active in the UK. Over 1,900 were part-time.(2015)

I was surprised at this number (please correct me if I've got it wrong); I thought it would be bigger. Of course this could well be the result of our EU membership - decimating a once flourishing industry and thus inflaming the sense of anger following the transitional Brexit arrangements announced yesterday. As Jacob Rees-Mogg (not someone whom I'd usually quote with approval) said today - it's OK saying that you can't make omelettes without breaking eggs until you are the person that suffers as a result (in truth I might not have done full justice to his utterance). And we don't know how many fisherman will lose their livelihoods by the short-term maintenance of the CFP status quo.

But......................compared to the unspecified impact on jobs across a whole spectrum of industries that is likely (on most accounts) to follow Brexit this really is a very, very small figure. And yet I'm sure Brexiteers are (genuinely) furious and MPs from fishing communities are (rightly) queuing up to vent their spleen. This to me reinforces the image of the 'angry Brexiteer'. Will they get this angry when the jobs of many more thousands are put at risk following Brexit? Is there something more patriotic or intrinsically noble about defending our fishing industry than defending jobs of say, financial services? Will Rees--Mogg's Brexit omelette taste better when whole swathes of jobs are sacrificed in its making? Will the Remainers be permitted to be this angry or will it be perceived as talking down Britain?

I raised the issue of Gibraltar earlier and it fell rather flat. No problem. (The population is around 33,000.)

I take it you are one of the part time ones? :fishing: :D

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
As good as we have it now has seen tens of thousands of job losses, poorly enforced quotas, wrong quotas, tons of fish being thrown back in the sea every day ,decimation in some fish stocks.

So because of this some people voted for change. How do you know there will be a tariff after trade negotiations and which waters we will have access to?

Dear Lord

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm really rather puzzled as to why there are any Leave voters on this thread at all. If I had "won" and truly believed what I had "won" was for the greater good , was the best thing to happen to Britain and was the absolute way to go, the last thing I would do would be to come on a forum where all the "losers" are "whinging and re-moaning". If I claimed to hate all the negativity and claimed to be bored by all the "snowflakes", I wouldn't even open the thread to look.
If they are so convincved it's all going to be fine. I mean convinced, as they tell us every other post, why would I worry what a few sore losers thought? Certainly wouldn't bother me enough to keep trying to convincve remainers that it'll actually be good for Britain.
It could either be that they are just a bunch of trolls who like a row (some definitely are that) or... unless of course.....

That can be turned round on you equally. You've categorically stated on this thread Brexit won't happen ..... so why do you hang around arguing. If you were so sure you'd have left this thread long ago.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Fishing makes up 0.3% of our GDP. It is an iconic but very small industry. We have more important things to worry about. Harsh but true. Voting leave has done that industry more harm than good anyway, they won't be able to shift the small amount of fish they are allowed to catch. Tarifs will finish off that market. Well done, you must be so proud of yourselves.

That's not what the south coast fisherman on the news was saying. The fishing industry voted overwhelmingly to leave so they could get back control of the waters around Britain. The deal that has been stuck has shafted the fishermen for now. Proud of voting leave? You better believe it. Except the remain camp are finding it hard to accept. Aren't you. Still leaving.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
On fishing they are based on fishermen and wholesalers from my home town I've spoken to about the subject over many, many years, rather than the ramblings of an old man in Gloucester or a broflake in [MENTION=17469]melias shoes[/MENTION] who ignorantly accuses me of delighting in the plight of Hastonian fisherman.

Broflake?I think you're getting confused on that saying. By the way I still believe you were gloating.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I raised the issue of the £200m a year fishing industry in The Falkland Islands and it's exports to The EU being at risk of punitive tariffs amongst this quest to take full control of our waters from The EU and the CFP in the fishing debate and it went largely the same way as your mentioning of Gibraltar. Perhaps the livelihoods and wishes of our overseas territories are just a price worth paying?

Knew absolutely nothing about Falklands fishing industry,but have had a quick shufti.As our go to expert,will the Spanish trawlers catching the squid have to pay import tariffs to themselves when they land their catch,or will they just give up and import it from the Japanese/Taiwanese fleets?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Fishing makes up 0.3% of our GDP. It is an iconic but very small industry. We have more important things to worry about. Harsh but true. Voting leave has done that industry more harm than good anyway.

You really are an argumentative troll who has real difficulties remembering what stance you are arguing for or against, one minute voting leave has harmed the fishing industry, previously though voting leave was good news for the fishing industry and was always going to be a big boost for it

That is undeniably good news. Was always going to be a big boost for fishing.

because UK fishermen had suffered needlessly and very unfairly under the EU.

as much as I'm in the remain camp, the fishing industry suffered needlessly and very unfairly under EU, even I can't deny that.

Transparent Clown

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Broflake?I think you're getting confused on that saying. By the way I still believe you were gloating.

If you say so. Most people with fishing connections I know of have been resigned to the inevitable on all this for some time.

Knew absolutely nothing about Falklands fishing industry,but have had a quick shufti.As our go to expert,will the Spanish trawlers catching the squid have to pay import tariffs to themselves when they land their catch,or will they just give up and import it from the Japanese/Taiwanese fleets?

I don't follow your Spanish question. Are you referring to Spanish fishermen catching fish in British waters post Brexit?

Another fundamental problem with all this was just highlighted on both South East Today from Boulogne, who process and distribute some fish caught in British waters by Hastings fishermen and Skagen in Denmark on C4 News, who process Herring caught here in British waters - it's a single market. Boulogne-sur-Mer is an EUR80m fishing industry. If we take back 100% of our territorial waters, never mind the tariffs and the inability of our fishermen to process and distribute their catch into the single market itself, and the little matter of policing our waters, the stocks on the other side of the channel, or the other side of our territorial waters, will be squeezed further by Belgian, Dutch etc fishermen going elsewhere from our waters, eg into French waters. We're presumably excluded from theirs in response, fish don't stay in one place - the whole system, like-it-or-not, is too intertwined and interlinked. They seemed quite relaxed about the prospect, as we'll just be shooting ourselves and them in the foot if we go ahead with what's being suggested by some. It's not as easy as just taking back the waters.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
If you say so. Most people with fishing connections I know of have been resigned to the inevitable on all this for some time.

I don't follow your Spanish question. Are you referring to Spanish fishermen catching fish in British waters post Brexit?

Another fundamental problem with all this was just highlighted on both South East Today from Boulogne, who process and distribute some fish caught in British waters by Hastings fishermen and Skagen in Denmark on C4 News, who process Herring caught here in British waters - it's a single market. Boulogne-sur-Mer is an EUR80m fishing industry. If we take back 100% of our territorial waters, never mind the tariffs and the inability of our fishermen to process and distribute their catch into the single market itself, and the little matter of policing our waters, the stocks on the other side of the channel, or the other side of our territorial waters, will be squeezed further by Belgian, Dutch etc fishermen going elsewhere from our waters, eg into French waters. We're presumably excluded from theirs in response, fish don't stay in one place - the whole system, like-it-or-not, is too intertwined and interlinked. They seemed quite relaxed about the prospect, as we'll just be shooting ourselves and them in the foot if we go ahead with what's being suggested by some. It's not as easy as just taking back the waters.

Spanish trawlers work under licenses issued by the Falklands Government to catch the squid which makes up most of the EU import,so will the EU stop them or just ignore it and hope it goes away somehow.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That's not what the south coast fisherman on the news was saying. The fishing industry voted overwhelmingly to leave so they could get back control of the waters around Britain. The deal that has been stuck has shafted the fishermen for now. Proud of voting leave? You better believe it. Except the remain camp are finding it hard to accept. Aren't you. Still leaving.
Right, so you're proud of voting to shaft them. Lovely.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You really are an argumentative troll who has real difficulties remembering what stance you are arguing for or against, one minute voting leave has harmed the fishing industry, previously though voting leave was good news for the fishing industry and was always going to be a big boost for it

because UK fishermen had suffered needlessly and very unfairly under the EU.

Transparent Clown

Yes. I thought and hoped the fishing industry would prosper once we left the EU.
Shame, as most things are now coming to light that don't seem as good as promised. You lot must be gutted/embarrassed/enlightened. Probably a little ashamed for what you've done. Still, can't really blame the ignorant. They know not what they do. And all that!
Shame.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Spanish trawlers work under licenses issued by the Falklands Government to catch the squid which makes up most of the EU import,so will the EU stop them or just ignore it and hope it goes away somehow.

After Brexit that really all depends on how that ties in with OCTA agreements. It's ultimately Falkland Islands territorial water inside or outside of OCTA and in the case of the latter has nothing to do with being an EU member state anymore and therefore is potentially subject to the aforementioned tariffs in the absence of replacement reciprocal agreements.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
After Brexit that really all depends on how that ties in with OCTA agreements. It's ultimately Falkland Islands territorial water inside or outside of OCTA and in the case of the latter has nothing to do with being an EU member state anymore and therefore is potentially subject to the aforementioned tariffs in the absence of replacement reciprocal agreements.

Cheers for that.Saw something posted about Brexit killing off the Falklands export trade,and wondered why.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes. I thought and hoped the fishing industry would prosper once we left the EU.
Shame, as most things are now coming to light that don't seem as good as promised. You lot must be gutted/embarrassed/enlightened. Probably a little ashamed for what you've done. Still, can't really blame the ignorant. They know not what they do. And all that!
Shame.

Gibberish as usual.
If you are so knowledgeable as to what the finalised fishing arrangements will be when the implementation period comes to an end and future trade arrangements agreed, as you are claiming to know, why don’t you share with the class what it is we have done.Don’t keep it all to yourself.
Don’t forget you are also arguing simultaneously none of this will happen anyway as according to you “Brexit wont happen”
No wonder you are so confused.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here