Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Future of Football

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To be honest, this was the way of things back in the late 70s when we last made the top flight - promotion is the holy grail but once you are there, you are forever just fighting to survive.

But lets take the positives too as there are many. The Amex is full every game and we are on match of the day by right. I am loving this season but I do take the OPs point and suspect that you are right.

Very true. I enjoyed being an Albion fan far more from 1976 to 1979, than 1979 to 1983. I wasn't the one, with average attendances 1982/83 down to 14,600.

I'm enjoying this time far more, we seem better prepared in every facet of the club.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
'Crowd noises introduced due to lack of atmosphere'?

The spanish company who have just bought Serie A tv rights have stated the part of the stadium where the cameras pan onto must be filled with fans.Therefore you will get the impression the stadiums are filled whilst on the other side they will be empty..

Already happens here. Sky insist on full stands opposite the cameras and summon the clubs to explain if there isn’t. Also, remember the lads with turbans who always seemed to be behind Sir Alex at Old Trafford? They never found themselves there by accident.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'll hazard a guess I was saying much the same 12 months ago.

It turns out I was loud, loud wrong.
I've loved every minute of this season, and I worry for anyone who hasn't.

It's down to the club to not turn us into the Premier Leagues 'Albion', and follow in the shite-laced footsteps of West Brom, until the inevitable.

Anyone thinking that's likely clearly hasn't been paying attention.

Don't take this the wrong way but if you attended away games that is, in my view, where this shocking blandness is coming from.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't take this the wrong way but if you attended away games that is, in my view, where this shocking blandness is coming from.

That's just the nature of the beast.
Did you genuinely think the Albion would arrive in the Premier League and boss games home and away?

Imagine what this team could be capable of when it's established.
In fairness you don't have to imagine you just have to look at the home form.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
There is a legal duty towards the shareholders but they will only benefit if the brand is successful. Man Utd have been a brand for decades and there are more clubs not like them than there are those that are like them. I agree that our away games at the big 6 have been disappointing but that is probably because we are not a great draw for the season ticket holders and they sell their tickets on their respective ticket exchanges and that's why the tourists pick them up for games against the likes of us.

I've been watching Brighton for over 40 years and in all that time they have been a business. We all know that previously they weren't run very successfully but they are now. Who knows what will happen in the future.

As for Utd, their problem is that they have never been able to replace Ferguson.

The trouble for United is that they don't have that time. Ferguson took a few years to be successful and at one stage early on was in danger of facing the sack. United need success now, how much have they spent on their squad and what return is that squad bringing them, as football off the filed has changed so it has on the field. Can you imagine Mourinho throwning a hairdryer at Pogba or going down to the night club and pulling De Gea out by his shirt. Football has changed alround, the older fans can see it, it will never return to what we knew.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Was the journey more exciting and interesting than the destination ?
The journey was amazing and loved it :thumbsup:
I reckon I'm one of many that has turned his back on going to prem matches and this is the first time in 30 years I won't see a live game.

Still want the club to succeed but football isn't about what it should be about it's about money in every aspect and modern day supporters are becoming programmed robots that do what they're told too do:nono:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The trouble for United is that they don't have that time. Ferguson took a few years to be successful and at one stage early on was in danger of facing the sack. United need success now, how much have they spent on their squad and what return is that squad bringing them, as football off the filed has changed so it has on the field. Can you imagine Mourinho throwning a hairdryer at Pogba or going down to the night club and pulling De Gea out by his shirt. Football has changed alround, the older fans can see it, it will never return to what we knew.
They also have way to many tourist fans that seem to get priority in getting tickets because clearly the club are making these tickets available to appease other countries that make up their big fan base.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Already happens here. Sky insist on full stands opposite the cameras and summon the clubs to explain if there isn’t. Also, remember the lads with turbans who always seemed to be behind Sir Alex at Old Trafford? They never found themselves there by accident.

I wish the cameras at the Amex were on the East Stand side and the West Stand was the one always on show.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
. Also, remember the lads with turbans who always seemed to be behind Sir Alex at Old Trafford? They never found themselves there by accident.

Seriously? Blimey

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They also have way to many tourist fans that seem to get priority in getting tickets because clearly the club are making these tickets available to appease other countries that make up their big fan base.

Don't they simply sell them through Thomas Cook as packages, at sky high prices for anyone prepared to pay? The same at Anfield and a few other stadia.

https://www.thomascooksport.com/Football/Premier-League

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Two things for me have spoiled football as I knew and loved it, and they're pretty much related - in a chicken and egg sort of way:-

The Taylor report and the abolition of standing (you could always pay for a seat in the stand if you wanted to sit) and the demise of POTG.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Two things for me have spoiled football as I knew and loved it, and they're pretty much related - in a chicken and egg sort of way:-

The Taylor report and the abolition of standing (you could always pay for a seat in the stand if you wanted to sit) and the demise of POTG.

I loved the pushing, shoving, fun, swaying and surges in the North Stand. I experienced this in the Kop too. Even as a kid, to me, it wasn't scary in the slightest. My son would love it, but will never get the chance to experience it. Safe standing will never compare.

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
Pitch side advertising at Old Trafford on BT yesterday, ie, people watching on BT was constantly switching from English text to Chinese (Mandarin?). The fans in the ground see different adverts on those pitch side boards, as they are different audiences with different purchasing options / tastes. Is that the case at the Amex?? Have a look at this article. The onward march of the Global corporate marketing machine is relentless and we're all being duped one way or another. 1984 was a long time ago.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-the-ad...-viewed-on-TV-theyre-all-digitised-and-moving

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I understand that the seating available for away fans is poor despite the massive stadiums,then of course you have fans standing up and blocking the view, when you consider the price of seats its not difficult to note that Sky and BT offer another option

And away games sadly do attract a number of immature bell ends.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A lot of interesting stuff written on here. Last night, I left feeling more deflated about what the FA Cup had become for Man U, than the result.

No atmosphere, vast numbers of empty seats, being asked by tourists to take photo's, a fire drill at 2-0 and the feeling its just the FA cup semi-final.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Pitch side advertising at Old Trafford on BT yesterday, ie, people watching on BT was constantly switching from English text to Chinese (Mandarin?). The fans in the ground see different adverts on those pitch side boards, as they are different audiences with different purchasing options / tastes. Is that the case at the Amex?? Have a look at this article. The onward march of the Global corporate marketing machine is relentless and we're all being duped one way or another. 1984 was a long time ago.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-the-ad...-viewed-on-TV-theyre-all-digitised-and-moving

Hang on. We see different adverts on the hoardings? I can’t believe that is true. What would be the point of having them as they only face the camera.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

The Taylor report did not endorse the removal of terracing, that was Thatcher and her government and Jimmy Hill. Justic Taylor was also against her membership enforcement and ensured that fell through although ironically that is more of a reality now. Its almost like nobody read the Taylor report because he also criticised the police handling of the incident which took till last year to finally be recognised.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Football is like dating. In the good old days, you only really got to f*ck the women you saw in the local pubs or clubs, and in that sense you were competing against a tiny few, meaning you had a chance to bag the best looking broad. Things have changed though, with the development of social media and globalisation. Now you’ve got people from all over trying to f*ck the local hottie because she has access to them and they have access to her, and the likelihood is they’re taller, better looking and better paid than you. Life goes on - you either improve yourself or you f*ck someone of your level.

This. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
About right, in a few years I think fans may actually get bored of this.

Several Wolves fans a dreading promotion that I know as they know the conseque

The fans that came week in week out to Gillingham? All 2000 of us? Obviously not.

We could always go back to that. Add another 4,000 who could be arsed to go to Withdean.....

I vote let's go for it. Occasionally we may beat the likes or Arsenal. We can also dream of 'doing a Leicester'.

It is the human condition. You get a good career, a lovely wife, nice kids, car, holidays, and then you think.....not like the good old days and/or I WANT MORE :laugh:

Now, pull you knickers up, and make me a cup of tea.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I loved the pushing, shoving, fun, swaying and surges in the North Stand. I experienced this in the Kop too. Even as a kid, to me, it wasn't scary in the slightest. My son would love it, but will never get the chance to experience it. Safe standing will never compare.

I agree. But it would reduce our attendances by a third at a stroke. Some people like certainy - ticket in advance, seat. I do. I'm old. POTG and I simply wouldn't go again - until our attendances had dropped below 20,000. If I were forced to stand I simply wouldn't go. Not with my back/knee/neck etc :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here