Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was wrong with our first (disallowed) goal?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em is a bit before my time.

Your reputation goes before you, must be fishing; he's clearly level.

Forget the line, he's clearly level as that pic proves. I assume Evs is on a wind up to. Otherwise he really needs to learn perspective views ...

You've had a mare here [MENTION=23]Everest[/MENTION] if you're being serious...

Either way, as we all know, goals change games so there was no guarantee we'd have scored the second goal even If we had a half competent lino who should've allowed this goal to stand...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
View attachment 63872

As you can see, this is a better picture, from the moment the ball is kicked (quarter / half a frame before the one posted previously) . CMS's left foot is the furthest part of his body forward and that is level with the nearest Wolves player AND the player on the farside.
This picture also takes into account the angle perception problem I posted above.

On the assumption that the groundsmen at the Amex cut the grass in lines perpendicular to the the touchline, your blue line is wonky.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
On the assumption that the groundsmen at the Amex cut the grass in lines perpendicular to the the touchline, your blue line is wonky.

It takes into account the camera angle 'perception', a simple straight line that had the same 'line' as the pitch would distort that.

But [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION]'s post above sums up what I'm saying very well. Maybe I'll stay away from Paint in the future.

Here are pictures 'before' and 'after'
CMS level.png
.CMS level.png
CMS frame after.png

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I know all about perspectives thanks sheebo.

That second picture is way out as the black line shows below.

Attachments

• CMS.png
    CMS.png
    936 KB · Views: 259

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It takes into account the camera angle 'perception', a simple straight line that had the same 'line' as the pitch would distort that.

But [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION]'s post above sums up what I'm saying very well. Maybe I'll stay away from Paint in the future.

I'm confused? On the near side, your blue line starts on the goal side of the cut grass, and it finishes on the far side behind the cut grass. I don't think that camera angle will change anything as far as perfectly perpendicular lines are concerned.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I'm confused? On the near side, your blue line starts on the goal side of the cut grass, and it finishes on the far side behind the cut grass. I don't think that camera angle will change anything as far as perfectly perpendicular lines are concerned.

I would think it would, i've removed the lines in the pictures above, which shows he's level anyway.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Bollocks. It was a goal. We was robbed.

That said it only meant that we would have gifted them an equaliser earlier and with more time to get the winner.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I think we've established I'm not going to win any awards on MS Paint, the pictures without anything prove he's onside.

Sorry, disagree 100%.

CMS is at fault, he had the line to look along and got it wrong again.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Sorry, disagree 100%.

CMS is at fault, he had the line to look along and got it wrong again.

I'm a bit mystified by this debate, the colouring of the grass is the clearest indicator of who's on/offside, at the point of impact from Calderon only CMS's feet are advanced from the line, all of the Wolves defenders are behind it? Surely that's conclusive enough without drawing inaccurate coloured lines across the pitch?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I'm a bit mystified by this debate, the colouring of the grass is the clearest indicator of who's on/offside, at the point of impact from Calderon only CMS's feet are advanced from the line, all of the Wolves defenders are behind it? Surely that's conclusive enough without drawing inaccurate coloured lines across the pitch?

As long as the pitch is cut perfectly, which it looks as though it is.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Surely when that shot is taken, regardless of whether or not he's in line, he's not interfering with play. He's not in the goalkeepers line of site. When Kuszczak parries it, isn't that then a new phase?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Surely when that shot is taken, regardless of whether or not he's in line, he's not interfering with play. He's not in the goalkeepers line of site. When Kuszczak parries it, isn't that then a new phase?

No, as I posted earlier that according to FIFA's definitions of Law 11

“gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball
i. that rebounds or is deflected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an
opponent having been in an offside position
ii. that rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save
by an opponent having been in an offside position

As it was a save that rebounded to him off of PIG, then he had gained an advantage (ever so slightly, but enough)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here