Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The minute's silence today.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The remembrance of the fallen was very well observed by all but watching the FL show I did notice that most Championship clubs had a military presence. dont understand why it always the Army not Navy or RAF, but what did we have The Salvation Army at probably little or no cost to the club. Whist not wishing to knock the club it is indicative of our club at the moment everything as cheap as possible.

Im ex Services. my eldest is ex Services and my youngest is still Serving, so for you to say that insults my family and all serving an ex serving personnel as well as the club.

You post things on here that you seemingly havent got a clue about !
The Bugler done a great job and it doesnt matter who blew it or what services were or werent there, its all about remembering our fallen brothers not how much it will save a football club !!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
My assumption of cost was based on the fact that most military bands charge, what that charge is I dont know and have no idea whatsoever. What people do not seem to be able to grasp was that yesterday there was no recognition of the people who are serving at the moment many as I said local and Brighton supporters; unlike most clubs seen on the FL Show who had a number of serving personnel to represent them. Despite what you say Edna it is not a knock at the club as such, merely an observation that could have made it even better.

Again you have no idea what the Club does behind the scenes for Serving personnel, I have witnessed what they have done for my sons when they were doing there tours down south and in Afghan, so dont mouth off over something you are completely clueless about

flying high

May 12, 2009
In BG defence he can only comment on what is apparent or seen. I am sure he would be the first to apologise to you and anybody else who has personal knowledge if something differs from the public view of what has happened. I know he felt that serving serviceman appearred to have been overlooked yesterday and put it down to cost cutting as that appears the reason for most decisions made at the moment by the club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It would be virtually impossible to ask current serving personnel to attend in uniform as they are barred from wearing uniform in public now, because of the threat of attacks.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
In BG defence he can only comment on what is apparent or seen. I am sure he would be the first to apologise to you and anybody else who has personal knowledge if something differs from the public view of what has happened. I know he felt that serving serviceman appearred to have been overlooked yesterday and put it down to cost cutting as that appears the reason for most decisions made at the moment by the club.

As cheerleaders go, mate, you have got to be up there with the worst in the world. Every time your dad/ uncle/ whatever gets himself into trouble with another unpleasant outburst, up you pop with a mealy mouthed 'apology' or plain lies, to defend him - only ever serving to make things worse.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Did I imagine the pitch interviews before Fans Zone with Servicemen who had been injured? Seems to me the club went to a great deal of trouble to honour servicemen and was appreciated by all present as the servicemen received magnificent applause..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Phew, only just caught up with this thread.

I thought the club and everyone involved (Buglers, vets who were introduced, the managers, crowd and the chap in charge of the advertising hoardings) did things beautifully yesterday - utterly beyond criticism.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Phew, only just caught up with this thread.

I thought the club and everyone involved (Buglers, vets who were introduced, the managers, crowd and the chap in charge of the advertising hoardings) did things beautifully yesterday - utterly beyond criticism.

This.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
The supermarkets will all stop to observe it on the correct day and time 11th hour of the11th day if the11th month. This has only been observed n recent years in stores but previously was always the previous Sunday.

You'd be surprised how many customers bang on the doors at 11 AM putting shopping over remembrance.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was in the gym at 11 today. Everyone stopped when it was announced apart from one person who continued to pound away on the treadmill until she realised what was happening........and everyone else was glaring at her.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
I have watched all the rememberance services on the TV and it always makes me very depressed at the amount of men and woman lost to wars.
we should remember them all in any way we can.
and just on another note we were in Tesco Eastbourne at 11am this morning, I think my wife and I were the only ones to keep the two minutes silence ............otherwise shopping went on, children fighting and rowing as per normal.
it seems that that s the norm now, hardly any respect for those who died.

When I worked in New England Street Sainsbury's in Brighton we always observed on both days. Again, save for the people banging on the door one year, who we ignored. There's always some :tosser::tosser::tosser: who thinks they're too important to stop, and indeed someone who questions why I too stopped.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's not really correct to suggest that observance of Remembrance Sunday or Armistice Day is on the decline - quite the reverse!

During the 50's, 60's and 70's far fewer people seemed to attend a service or observe any form of commemoration on the 11th hour of Armistice Day.

The last 20 years have seen far greater recognition of the sacrifice made by millions in armed conflicts around the world including ceremonies such as that we saw at the Amex yesterday.
That's very true. I remember back in the 1970s there was talk about how long could it continue for? The WW1 veterans were thinning out and quite a lot of the WW2 ones had no time for it. (My Dad, a WW2 veteran, thought it was 'a load of old bollocks'). The recent increases in attendances have been quite remarkable - mind you having so many more ****ing wars is partly responsible.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Not read the whole thread but I will pick up on the point about why does it always appear to be the army with no involvement of the RN or RAF. You need to consider where RN and RAF units are based. I'm sure if you went to the likes of Portsmouth or Plymouth it would be predominantly RN and RM. I attended the service in Lincoln Cathedral this morning and there was a very large RAF presence with just one or two army and RN personnel attending.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Ok I am wrong lets just forget those serving now and any that could lose their lives in the very near future, they do not deserve or warrant recognition.
You really do come across as a very unpleasant individual generally, but to criticise the club over this, of all things, is especially low.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Ok I am wrong lets just forget those serving now and any that could lose their lives in the very near future, they do not deserve or warrant recognition.

You talk of recognition, the Salvationists won four Victoria crosses in WW1, all as non-combatants, worthy of recognition in my book

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
You'd be surprised how many customers bang on the doors at 11 AM putting shopping over remembrance.
As did a couple of people where I work this morning because I made the decision to open slightly late in order that my staff and I could observe the silence correctly.

D1AX

Jun 20, 2013
I was at the game yesterday with my 8 year old son. I could tell that the experience and the impeccable way it was carried out moved him. This morning at his Sunday under 9's match he asked his coach if they could hold a minutes silence. Both coaches agreed and a perfect minute of rememberance was carried out by 20 or more kids and both sets of teams parents. Some things are important to pass on, if only to help us keep some perspective on our charmed lives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here