Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] A27 Route Decision Delayed .... again!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Worthing and Arundel will always be an issue because of the Downs - nobody wants roads over them and it is too expensive to tunnel under.

I reckon that they should use the existing route from Shoreham to Fontwell - A283, B2139 & A29 - upgrading to a dual carriageway where needed and adding small bypasses to Storrington, Amberley and Houghton. The cost of that would be much lower and less of an impact on the Downs.
Nope I object.

That'll make it all but impossible to cycle west to east in any part of West Sussex.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Worthing and Arundel will always be an issue because of the Downs - nobody wants roads over them and it is too expensive to tunnel under.

I reckon that they should use the existing route from Shoreham to Fontwell - A283, B2139 & A29 - upgrading to a dual carriageway where needed and adding small bypasses to Storrington, Amberley and Houghton. The cost of that would be much lower and less of an impact on the Downs.

If that can be done so as to stop cyclists using A class roads that has to be a bonus . Make them only use B class roads so they only hold up tractors not cars, buses and lorries

As you can imagine I detest cyclists and the way they hog the road riding side by side.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I don’t bother with them any more. I think it’s quicker to drive through the city centre.

This. The last 3 times I’ve gone West, all 3 times have been quicker to go through the City Centre. An absolute joke of a bypass.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don’t bother with them any more. I think it’s quicker to drive through the city centre.
Shhh! Or they'll all be doing it! Let's keep it our little secret!

But yes, that roundabout-infested ringroad is all but unusable in the summer. I also often drive through Lewes when coming home from Uckfield, plus going through Sompting is sometimes quicker than using the main A27. The A27 is an utter joke. It's the one thing dear Lord Bracknell and I never agreed on. If he were still with us he'd be making posts about how forty year old traffic surveys 'prove' that the A27 is actually over-engineered and has a massive surplus capacity.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Where on earth would a 'small' bypass around Houghton run!?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Which is it. I get fed up with being asked to switch my adblocker off, just to read one article.

Highways England has announced its preferred route for the A27 Arundel bypass. After months of public consultation, it was announced at a press conference in Arundel this morning that a tweaked version of Option 5a was the route they had chosen. The tweaked 5a option, which has been announced as the preferred choice by Highways England A Highways England spokesman said the route had been altered to lessen the impact on Binsted and to remove as little ancient woodland as possible after listening to residents concerns. Another public consultation will be held on the amendments to the route, with work expected to start in late 2020 and the road to open in 2023.

5a.jpg

Read more at: https://www.worthingherald.co.uk/news/breaking-news-250m-arundel-bypass-route-announced-1-8494945

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Highways England has announced its preferred route for the A27 Arundel bypass. After months of public consultation, it was announced at a press conference in Arundel this morning that a tweaked version of Option 5a was the route they had chosen. The tweaked 5a option, which has been announced as the preferred choice by Highways England A Highways England spokesman said the route had been altered to lessen the impact on Binsted and to remove as little ancient woodland as possible after listening to residents concerns. Another public consultation will be held on the amendments to the route, with work expected to start in late 2020 and the road to open in 2023.

Read more at: https://www.worthingherald.co.uk/news/breaking-news-250m-arundel-bypass-route-announced-1-8494945

That's good. I liked the look of 5a when I saw the diagrams. Thank you.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I like it - it does the key thing of keeping the traffic away from Arundel. Worthing and Chi next please.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I like it - it does the key thing of keeping the traffic away from Arundel. Worthing and Chi next please.
So for those who use the route a lot, was this the worst part of the journey, and how much difference would you expect it to make?

And in comparison, how much difference would a Worthing bypass make?

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
There were proposals recently for improvements to the A27 from Bedingham to Polegate which would cost millions but still leave the road as a single carriageway. You couldn’t make it up:ffsparr:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So for those who use the route a lot, was this the worst part of the journey, and how much difference would you expect it to make?

Getting through / round Arundel can take a VERY long time, with the tailbacks at Crossbush heading West (can be 15 - 20 minutes, and sometimes worse), at the roundabout just past the railway station (all the way down the hill sometimes) and on the old bypass in the lead up to the roundabout over the bridge. The whole thing can easily add half an hour to the journey.

Coming the other way, we often get stuck coming down the hill past the White Swan just after switch from dual to single carriageway.

What happens generally is the locals go through Arundel to avoid the snarl ups and in turn snarl up both roundabouts as they try and rejoin. The same happens on the West bound at Crossbush as cars fly up the inside lane, as if to turn left to LA, but try and nip in later on, or even accelerate after the lights and nip in front of the cars turning right.

To your other question - we still need a bypass for Worthing, as the section up to each roundabout (Offington and Grove Lodge) snarls up under even moderate traffic, and Lions Farm also produces its own long tailback often to Grove Lodge. Chi can also add 30 mins onto a West bound journey, with most Sat Navs now directing people back through the City to avoid it.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Anecdotal I know but I've been held up through Arundel more than through Worthing. I would have said the Chichester "bypass" is by far the worst place for holdups though (I, too, tend to drive through the city instead these days)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here