Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forward strength

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
According to the website, we have seven first team forwards. That's if you include, er Jamie Murphy and Richie Towell (but not Anthony Knockaert or 'Solomon' March). And James Tilley, of course. Anyway, it's excellent news and has solved any absence of firepower at a stroke.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/teams/first-team/

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I saw Hughton referring to Brown as a striker which I thought was a bit surprising.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40714453

In this report that also calls him a "forward"? He actually says Brown will bring a "different dimension to our attacking options ALONGSIDE our existing strikers" (my emphasis).

In other words an option to come from wide, number 10, false 9 or fill in for the traditional striker in the closing stages. These are basically the reasons I think he's a really decent signing.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Brown is not an out and out striker, everyone knows that and it's absurd to say we have 7 strikers - we have 3: Murray, Hemed and Baldock - and he's injured. We need two new goal scorers.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40714453

In this report that also calls him a "forward"? He actually says Brown will bring a "different dimension to our attacking options ALONGSIDE our existing strikers" (my emphasis).

In other words an option to come from wide, number 10, false 9 or fill in for the traditional striker in the closing stages. These are basically the reasons I think he's a really decent signing.

I agree I think he's a really good signing but I still think we still need an absolute minimum of one and ideally two more out and out strikers and three if Hemed does go.

smartferndale

Mar 21, 2013
Does the young Irish lad count. He looked very quick last night, always on the shoulder of the last defender. A bit Michael Owen in style and the age at which Owen started his first team career.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Does the young Irish lad count. He looked very quick last night, always on the shoulder of the last defender. A bit Michael Owen in style and the age at which Owen started his first team career.

He's been very lively at Whitehawk tonight too, hit the post.

PG

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
PS: Boro now have :
Bamford, Assombalonga, Braithwaite, Fletcher as their likely 4 strikers for next season.

(with Gestede i imagine for sale)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I agree I think he's a really good signing but I still think we still need an absolute minimum of one and ideally two more out and out strikers and three if Hemed does go.

We need one of quality, another slightly less so. Both need pace. If we get two in -- which we should -- that will carve the way for Hemed to leave, which will mean he'll get more football, as I really can't see him getting much here this season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
According to the website, we have seven first team forwards. That's if you include, er Jamie Murphy and Richie Towell (but not Anthony Knockaert or 'Solomon' March). And James Tilley, of course. Anyway, it's excellent news and has solved any absence of firepower at a stroke.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/teams/first-team/

Ha !
No wonder Tom Cadman has that curious spy like silhouette . He's so far under the radar he's actually playing AGAINST the Albion tonight for Whitehawk.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
PS: Boro now have :
Bamford, Assombalonga, Braithwaite, Fletcher as their likely 4 strikers for next season.

(with Gestede i imagine for sale)

And yet last season mentioning Boro in the same phrase as scoring goals was the equivalent of mentioning Food for Friends in the same phrase as "decent steak".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
From memory I think it was a Sky Sports piece where he said something like Brown would give us more options alongside our exisiting strikers. Just surprised me as I thought he was more of an attacking midfielder.

I would dispute that because I cant remember the last time he did a piece for sky sports. He never works for any media group while he is employed as a Manager with any club. He will only ever work with any media group if it does not conflict with his main employment.

If it was an off the cuff interview then maybe but even then I would doubt it. When he is employed by a club he is one of the few people in the football industry who would never take on a secondary Media source

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Strikers and forwards are as different as full backs and centre backs but hey people always mix and muddle the 2. It's only the same as using the term 'defender'.

By my count we have 3 strikers. You could argue more forwards but just like full backs who can fill in elsewhere it can be a grey area at times. If Skalak gets lumped in up there I'll throw my toys out the pram though.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I would dispute that because I cant remember the last time he did a piece for sky sports. He never works for any media group while he is employed as a Manager with any club. He will only ever work with any media group if it does not conflict with his main employment.

If it was an off the cuff interview then maybe but even then I would doubt it. When he is employed by a club he is one of the few people in the football industry who would never take on a secondary Media source

Found it - they just quoted him in a piece they did about Chelsea loanees this season.

As I say, from watching Brown last season I thought he was very much a midfielder but apparently he did play up front for Rotherham before that.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Given we've been linked with numerous strikers this pre-season (although Abraham is the only out and out striker we've confirmed is/was a target) then you assume we're on lookout for one.
I guess a forward line of *new striker*, + Murray, + Hemed ? , with Brown, Gross, Baldock in that playing off the front role (#9 or #10) with potentially Murphy, Knockaert, March filling that role if required will be what the club is aiming at given that we're likely to be playing 4-4-1-1 rather than the 4-4-2 we favoured in Champ under Hughton in last 2 seasons.
And thats how we've set up in pre-season matches so far.

Some might argue we need new striker x 2 but presumably £££ burden means unlikely.
And assumption is Towell/Lua Lua out on loan/for sale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here