Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't sy that looks particularly inspiring.

To a degree, as a self confessed quantity over quality man, the menuu tells you precisely nothing about the meal. Just saying things like Beef - Watercress - Turnip , gives no indication of how the meal is put together. What cut is the meat? how is it cooked? Just saying beef it could be anything from entrecote to braising steak!

That's a relatively common approach today though, isn't it? I went straight to The Set and copy and pasted this menu for example:

Beetroot, quail egg, lovage
Cuttlefish, pig cheek, watercress
Rabbit, carrot, rarebit
Raspberry, meadow sweet, yogurt

The Pass is very similar.

Maybe I've less concerned about this approach as I'm a vegetarian - cuts of meat etc mean nothing to me.

I'll fully concede this approach, and the dishes that it may produce, aren't for everyone. I wouldn't take my Mum to any of these for example!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quite true actually. Plenty of places doing that already in town. The guy has clearly got some talent though.

Agreed - a potentially exciting chef new to town.

Seems little point writing him off when he's barely begun, even if there's a bit of a cliched headline to the offerings.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
As an aside I've been to this place https://www.nobelhartundschmutzig.com. These guys really push the idea of locally sourced quite far. They source within Brandenburg with a few exceptions like the Baltic coast for salt. But, there's noticeably no pepper, spices, citrus fruits etc. It really does force creativity when you have such restrictions. In the main it worked and it's a lovely vibe and venue.

You just have to make a trip to Silo in Brighton if you want local and sustainable tbh.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That's a relatively common approach today though, isn't it? I went straight to The Set and copy and pasted this menu for example:

Beetroot, quail egg, lovage
Cuttlefish, pig cheek, watercress
Rabbit, carrot, rarebit
Raspberry, meadow sweet, yogurt

The Pass is very similar.

Maybe I've less concerned about this approach as I'm a vegetarian - cuts of meat etc mean nothing to me.

I'll fully concede this approach, and the dishes that it may produce, aren't for everyone. I wouldn't take my Mum to any of these for example!

Indeed, as you rightly say this sort of 'the less said the better' kind of menu description seems to be very much in vogue at high end establishments at the moment.

I've eaten at the Pass, as the South Lodge Hotel is a mere two miles up the road from me and was very impressed. Unfortunately though, a menu without prices leaves me fairing the worst, tight wad that l am!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You just have to make a trip to Silo in Brighton if you want local and sustainable tbh.

I have a few Brighton restaurants on my to-do list and this is one of them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
And this evening?

There was a three-day (but only two-night, alas) school trip for the boy, so we went out to play. In over the w/e, and all next week.
Silo was tremendous, in our view. What's best about it is that it has an identity/concept, but shows it in the best of light, because they can cook and are inventive with what they have. It did make me think that St John/Fergus Henderson has had some considerable influence on this country's (or London and the South East's) restaurant scene.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There was a three-day (but only two-night, alas) school trip for the boy, so we went out to play. In over the w/e, and all next week.
Silo was tremendous, in our view. What's best about it is that it has an identity/concept, but shows it in the best of light, because they can cook and are inventive with what they have. It did make me think that St John/Fergus Henderson has had some considerable influence on this country's (or London and the South East's) restaurant scene.

The St John mention has sold it to me and I've just made a reservation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The coddled egg, kimchi and black pudding thing at Silo for brunch is a certified banger. Coffee great too.

:thumbsup: I love black pudding. There's a place I go to which does a black pudding, bacon, mushroom and maple syrup pizza and it rocks. My current go-to food. They have a few lines of craft as well.

Jul 7, 2003
:thumbsup: I love black pudding. There's a place I go to which does a black pudding, bacon, mushroom and maple syrup pizza and it rocks. My current go-to food. They have a few lines of craft as well.

Next time you are over, I'll try to get some of my favourite black pudding for you to take back. It is from Garlic Wood Farms in Steyning, triangular in shape and baked rather than boiled. It comes vac-packed so you can take it back on the plane. It has nice lumps of marrowbone in it and tastes fantastic. It also works well if you spread it on the bread and add bacon and egg for a full breakfast sandwich.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Next time you are over, I'll try to get some of my favourite black pudding for you to take back. It is from Garlic Wood Farms in Steyning, triangular in shape and baked rather than boiled. It comes vac-packed so you can take it back on the plane. It has nice lumps of marrowbone in it and tastes fantastic. It also works well if you spread it on the bread and add bacon and egg for a full breakfast sandwich.

My word. This sounds awesome. Yes please!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Smith & Western, Chichester

Never seen or heard of this place till saw a sign when leaving the station.

Best described as USA country and western themed, bit early for staters so both had Ocean Steaks with prawns and a Californian house red.

Pretty good as well so an 8 out of 10

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is also one on the A22 north of East Grinstead and 1 in Tunbridge Wells. We used to visit the one in Chichester when we had the pub in Midhurst in 1995 and considered it a vast upgrade but very similar in operation to TGIF.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here