Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What a bizarre experience I've just had. Went for my first sports massage which had to be aborted half way through due to my inability to relax my legs properly, a full refund was offered which I didn't accept so I paid half as 30 minutes had elapsed from a 60 minute session.

Should probably try someone else but obviously concerning that the same thing could well happen again.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What a bizarre experience I've just had. Went for my first sports massage which had to be aborted half way through due to my inability to relax my legs properly, a full refund was offered which I didn't accept so I paid half as 30 minutes had elapsed from a 60 minute session.

Should probably try someone else but obviously concerning that the same thing could well happen again.

All that stiffness and no happy ending! you should have taken the money back. Did you go to the place near Hove Town Hall? I went last year and they didn't have a clue. My brother nearly seized up after going there.

For the marathon day I would take it really easy now and just think of enjoying the day. Sounds like your legs need a fair bit of recovery time. 10 days will do that.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
All that stiffness and no happy ending! you should have taken the money back. Did you go to the place near Hove Town Hall? I went last year and they didn't have a clue. My brother nearly seized up after going there.

For the marathon day I would take it really easy now and just think of enjoying the day. Sounds like your legs need a fair bit of recovery time. 10 days will do that.

Yes thats the one. In hindsight I probably should have taken a full refund.

He was very critical of running as a pastime, was telling me of horror stories of people ending up in wheel chairs and that cycling is much better. If I must run then run on the beach as the pebbles have more give.

Also telling me the ice baths are useless unless you have soreness a hot bath is better, now this may well be true but I've certainly been reading a lot to the contrary.

I'm going to do 8/9 miles either Saturday and Sunday and very little in the week leading up to the marathon. One thing I think has helped is my personal trainer, I've asked him to focus sessions around my core and glutes and I feel stronger in those areas.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That is the bloke my brother had. Useless. my brother had bought me a gift visit before he had gone in. I duly went after the marathon and the French woman was fine but she did not know about sports massage just relaxation. They should not call it Sports Massage. My brother still moans about his massage but, then, he does live in LA.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
So how is everyone's taper going (if doing Brighton)?

Did my last run this morning prior to my PB shot at Paddock Wood half on Sunday. So rest, carbs and 3 points on Saturday for me from hereon in!

Anyone else doing Paddock Wood?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Yes thats the one. In hindsight I probably should have taken a full refund.

He was very critical of running as a pastime, was telling me of horror stories of people ending up in wheel chairs and that cycling is much better. If I must run then run on the beach as the pebbles have more give.

Also telling me the ice baths are useless unless you have soreness a hot bath is better, now this may well be true but I've certainly been reading a lot to the contrary.

I'm going to do 8/9 miles either Saturday and Sunday and very little in the week leading up to the marathon. One thing I think has helped is my personal trainer, I've asked him to focus sessions around my core and glutes and I feel stronger in those areas.

That is the bloke my brother had. Useless. my brother had bought me a gift visit before he had gone in. I duly went after the marathon and the French woman was fine but she did not know about sports massage just relaxation. They should not call it Sports Massage. My brother still moans about his massage but, then, he does live in LA.

If you want a decent sports massage, you should give Kadir a shout. He's based at the jog shop in Brighton. Really sound guy and has done a lot of running in his time too.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

This part is probably true, I've heard off-road is easier on the legs than on road.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton

Getting very worried about my achilles. 3 weeks or so ago after a 17 miler it was hurting so stopped all running for a week, did a 20 miler and was fine and thought all was good. However went for an easy 5 and 10 miler last Saturday and Sunday and could feel it again. Yesterday was intending to do a really slow 5 or so and the pain was as bad as it has been :(

Im now gonna skip this weekend completely and hope that 10 days rest may give enough time to get me through. Nightmare.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Have you tried any TRX work? If so, did you find it helped or made it worse?

Its excellent and it thoroughly works. Have done nearly 10 sessions with it. Very impressed. I started with an induction so I could get some guidance as to what exercises were the best. Then again after about 5 sessions for some new ones. Whilst it looks like a kids swing/climbing frame, I like it.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I think I would see how you go this week. If you feel energised (and be honest with yourself) come Sunday then go for it, but at the pace I suggested max. In all honesty its not going to make much difference either way. Its also good discipline occasionally to force yourself to run slower and not just max out. On the very long runs you should be running at a pace where you can still hold a conversation. Its the shorter midweek runs when you should focus on the speedwork (as I note you have).

On my long runs, I often run with a training buddy to kill the time/boredom.

I think what you really need is your mojo back so you are full of energy and raring to go on race day, as opposed to worrying you are going to blow up when out in Shoreham Harbour!

Best of luck with it, and let us know how you get on.

So, I followed your advice and did a 22 miler today. I managed to slow my pace but not as much as you recommended. Ended up finishing in 2:51:15 (7.47/mile). I started at the target pace but with the wind on my back I found myself speeding up over the middle third of the run.

It was a bit of a struggle the last 3 miles but I feel a lot better about running London now and glad I took your advice to reduced my taper to 2 weeks. Thanks again and best of luck with your race.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
So I was feeling better all through the week (ignoring the football) and my left knee that had been causing me pain (on the inside of the knee) felt fine. Yesterday I went to do my parkrun as usual, and ran a PB of 19:49 at Preston Park. I felt amazing and had no niggles or pain during the run. After the Boro match, went for a walk along the seafront and got very sharp pains on the outside of my right knee. A similair sort of pain to the previous one, just on the other knee and the other side. Getting very worried with only one week to go. I just want to be fully fit and confident at the start line. Am planning on resting as much as possible this week. Not sure its ITB as I read the pain is usually when your foot hits the ground, for me its when I bend my knee.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
So I was feeling better all through the week (ignoring the football) and my left knee that had been causing me pain (on the inside of the knee) felt fine. Yesterday I went to do my parkrun as usual, and ran a PB of 19:49 at Preston Park. I felt amazing and had no niggles or pain during the run. After the Boro match, went for a walk along the seafront and got very sharp pains on the outside of my right knee. A similair sort of pain to the previous one, just on the other knee and the other side. Getting very worried with only one week to go. I just want to be fully fit and confident at the start line. Am planning on resting as much as possible this week. Not sure its ITB as I read the pain is usually when your foot hits the ground, for me its when I bend my knee.

Have you ever had the issue with your right knee before? If not, could it be that because of your issues with your left knee you overcompensated during your parkrun and strained your right?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is there a REMF Brighton marathon team this year? Not seen anything or have I had my eyes closed?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Is there a REMF Brighton marathon team this year? Not seen anything or have I had my eyes closed?

[MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] has mentioned it - he was asking those of us who did the Selhurst bike ride for our T-shirts (I must get mine to him, if he still needs it). So yes.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Have you ever had the issue with your right knee before? If not, could it be that because of your issues with your left knee you overcompensated during your parkrun and strained your right?

havent had the issue before, but the left knee was fine before parkrun...all very strange but just going to have to rest as much as possible and hope for the best!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
I'm extremely worried about my twin who is running BM this Sunday, he has struggled to a long run of 18 miles and would of pulled out if people visiting had not of booked hotels and he dosen't want to let them down. It's his 4th time and has run 3.50 the last 2 times. He says had just wants to get round but I know he will go for a time. What advice would u give him? I've told to start slow 9min miles tops and see how he feels at 18 miles. Is this right?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm extremely worried about my twin who is running BM this Sunday, he has struggled to a long run of 18 miles and would of pulled out if people visiting had not of booked hotels and he dosen't want to let them down. It's his 4th time and has run 3.50 the last 2 times. He says had just wants to get round but I know he will go for a time. What advice would u give him? I've told to start slow 9min miles tops and see how he feels at 18 miles. Is this right?

Obviously I don't know the situation as well as you, but he has a lot of positives in his favour. His completed the distance and course before in good time. And 18 miles is decent preparation in my opinion. When I ran my first marathon I never got above 18 and I found the marathon easier than I expected. Never under estimate the power of the crowds and the whole atmosphere, it really does drive you on.

I would say your advise is spot on.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Am I right to assume you are not entered for the Brighton Marathon? Getting a 5K pb 1 week before would not be wise. If you are, you have 6 days to ease IBS/ITB. Good luck. I just shut my big toe in the car door whilst barefoot. A bloody mess but should only be a pain next Sunday rather than a hindrance.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
So, I followed your advice and did a 22 miler today. I managed to slow my pace but not as much as you recommended. Ended up finishing in 2:51:15 (7.47/mile). I started at the target pace but with the wind on my back I found myself speeding up over the middle third of the run.

It was a bit of a struggle the last 3 miles but I feel a lot better about running London now and glad I took your advice to reduced my taper to 2 weeks. Thanks again and best of luck with your race.

Thanks Johnny and really pleased you have your mojo back. Half the job is the mental side! Well done!

I'm actually elated. Managed a 1'33'38 to finish 283 of 2073 in the Paddock Wood Half today. Took 9 minutes off my PB and have well and truly celebrated since (!!) but wish all Brighton/London runners the best on your upcoming feats!!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Obviously I don't know the situation as well as you, but he has a lot of positives in his favour. His completed the distance and course before in good time. And 18 miles is decent preparation in my opinion. When I ran my first marathon I never got above 18 and I found the marathon easier than I expected. Never under estimate the power of the crowds and the whole atmosphere, it really does drive you on.

I would say your advise is spot on.

Many thanks for your response

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here