Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Made an appointment with Jesus, but because he's away for a bit soon, he's booked up until 10th April! From the feedback on here, I figured it's worth waiting for and the general consensus (through talking to the bootcamp guys this morning) is that I need to stretch more, so that's something to keep me occupied.

Might have to get me one of these foam rollers...

Get a roller like this
5eb7b84f65cd9a47459560fe71357731.jpg

Great bit of kit
Hurts like hell but it works

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just back from a sports massage and she said if I just do a couple of 5 milers between now and BM and I'm pain free the calf should hold out so I won't be going for a sub 4 hr time now

.......but maybe at 20 miles next Sunday you'll click into gear. You're training has been done. Take it steady for a couple of hours next Sunday and you could fly home. Good news that you'll enjoy the day. Good luck.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
.......but maybe at 20 miles next Sunday you'll click into gear. You're training has been done. Take it steady for a couple of hours next Sunday and you could fly home. Good news that you'll enjoy the day. Good luck.

That. Good luck, see you there [emoji106]

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Get a roller like this
5eb7b84f65cd9a47459560fe71357731.jpg

Great bit of kit
Hurts like hell but it works

Just been introduced to those f*ckers by my sports therapist. Like something invented by the Marquis de Sade. [emoji35]

I've never been one for proper stretching (I know, I'm an idiot) but have also taken to a new form of Thai Yoga massage once a fortnight to get over little niggles from football and running. Highly recommended and if any of the London contingent need a referral I'm happy to make one.

Just off now to practice by wrapping my arse around my elbow. *twang*

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
The Brighton Marathon app is now available for free download, its called Brighton Marathon 2017.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just been introduced to those f*ckers by my sports therapist. Like something invented by the Marquis de Sade. [emoji35]

I've never been one for proper stretching (I know, I'm an idiot) but have also taken to a new form of Thai Yoga massage once a fortnight to get over little niggles from football and running. Highly recommended and if any of the London contingent need a referral I'm happy to make one.

Just off now to practice by wrapping my arse around my elbow. *twang*

I think that's been my undoing. Although, since going back to bootcamp yesterday (which included stretching), the leg was back to normal during this morning's run.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Not long till the BM now ladies and gents. My training has been sporadic to say the least, but clocked a respectable 1:40 in the Richmond Half a week or so ago, and got a 20 miler under my belt on Sunday, so I'm feeling reasonably positive about race day. Not sure I'll beat last year's time, but you never know!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Feel like I have zero energy in my legs, not enjoying even the short runs this week. Hopefully I'm just zapped from the long runs and all will be okay next week.

From Monday I will be mostly eating bagles and plain rice :shrug:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Feel like I have zero energy in my legs, not enjoying even the short runs this week. Hopefully I'm just zapped from the long runs and all will be okay next week.

Very high GI and lacking nutrition. Are you going to add fruit and vegetables at least up to Friday?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Very high GI and lacking nutrition. Are you going to add fruit and vegetables at least up to Friday?

It wasn't literal but I eat plenty of fruit a day anyway, one thing is for sure I will end up eating lots of rice dishes that week, seems the easiest route to upping carbs. And bagel with peanut butter for breakfast!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It wasn't literal but I eat plenty of fruit a day anyway, one thing is for sure I will end up eating lots of rice dishes that week, seems the easiest route to upping carbs. And bagel with peanut butter for breakfast!

I'm just jealous as not running. Enjoy your food!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No need to up carbs to any great extent IMHO. Carbs convert to glycogen (usable energy), and body can only store around 2 hours worth regardless of how much you eat. Too many carbs (which contribute to water retention) will leave you feeling bloated and potentially lethargic as well. At a typical marathon pace (ie not an elite runner), you'll be burning a higher % of fat than glycogen anyway. I did a controlled test last year as part of my annual medical assessment and I never reached carb-burning even towards the end of it at the higher levels of effort (probably about equal to my marathon effort, and I'm a 4-hr ish mid-pack plodder).

I rarely eat before running (all my long training runs are on 'empty' and marathon day will be no different) too.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

I done some research on why you feel Lethargic etc after all the training and it's normal apparently
All those endorphins you release after running aren't working and your body is basically resting
I've never slept so well this last week or so as normally after even a long run I don't sleep that well
As for the carb loading what the man says is right and you can only store so much
I will be having a big full English breakfast the day before the run and maybe a bit of pasta that night and toast and marmalade on the morning of the big day
Just take an energy gel every 3 miles and sip a drink when taking the gels

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I done some research on why you feel Lethargic etc after all the training and it's normal apparently
All those endorphins you release after running aren't working and your body is basically resting
I've never slept so well this last week or so as normally after even a long run I don't sleep that well
As for the carb loading what the man says is right and you can only store so much
I will be having a big full English breakfast the day before the run and maybe a bit of pasta that night and toast and marmalade on the morning of the big day
Just take an energy gel every 3 miles and sip a drink when taking the gels

It's officially called 'taper madness'. Usually closely followed by 'maranoia'. Only known cure for both is doing the bloody race.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I always think keeping hydrated is more important to think about - and this does nt mean in the 24 hours pre-race, get into the habit now of drinking plenty of water - colourless pee is the aim!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here