Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 teen burglars shot dead inside home they had broken into in the US

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
The fourth person is the getaway driver, in some states if somebody dies as part of the crime you are involved in you can be charged with their deaths. So if only one of the teens had been killed, the other two and the driver would all be looking at being held responsible for his death.

Just found this on an Oklahoma news site:

The woman, Elizabeth Rodriguez, was arrested on three counts each of first-degree murder and first-degree burglary. She is currently in the Wagoner County Jail.

Oklahoma state law says that first-degree murder occurs if “any other person takes the life of a human being during … first degree burglary.”

Nice, thank you!

I will blame a combination of the BBC and my lack of knowledge. That does feel crazy doesn't it? At 21 being charged with 3 counts of murder because you agreed to be the getaway driver

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
The fourth person is the getaway driver, in some states if somebody dies as part of the crime you are involved in you can be charged with their deaths. So if only one of the teens had been killed, the other two and the driver would all be looking at being held responsible for his death.

The woman, Elizabeth Rodriguez, was arrested on three counts each of first-degree murder and first-degree burglary. She is currently in the Wagoner County Jail.

Oklahoma state law says that first-degree murder occurs if “any other person takes the life of a human being during … first degree burglary.”

Watched a TV programme the other week with a similar scenario in Florida whereby an alleged burglar was charged with the muder of his accomplice who was shot by the inhabitants of the apartment they were alleged to have attempted to rob.

He was acquitted though suffered serious gunshot wounds.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

The woman, Elizabeth Rodriguez
Ok, this story is starting to sound a little unbelievable. No one would have a woman getaway driver.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Death sentence in Oklahoma?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just seen this, I wonder if she'll get the injection on reason 2.

Capital offenses
In Oklahoma, first-degree murder is punishable by death in the following circumstances:

The defendant was previously convicted of a felony involving the use or threat of violence to the person;
The defendant knowingly created a great risk of death to more than one person;
The person committed the murder for remuneration or the promise of remuneration or employed another to commit the murder for remuneration or the promise of remuneration;
The murder was especially heinous, atrocious, or cruel;
The murder was committed for the purpose of avoiding or preventing a lawful arrest or prosecution;
The murder was committed by a person while serving a sentence of imprisonment on conviction of a felony;
The existence of a probability that the defendant would commit criminal acts of violence that would constitute a continuing threat to society; or
The victim of the murder was a peace officer, or correctional employee of an institution under the control of the Department of Corrections, and such person was killed while in performance of official duty.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
If I was in my house with three hooded burglars with knuckledusters and knives...I`d be gratefull to have one to hand.

To be honest, given the circumstances, I totally agree, just read this out to my wife (including the original post describing the details) and we agree, if a weapon were to hand, everyone deserves the right of self defense........at my age, sadly I cant take on 3 guys who are hell bent on causing theft, hurt and destruction.
My / our opinion, I don't expect everyone to agree.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
25 rounds in 2.5 seconds apparently, not a lot of time to turn and run.
You'd imagine it was also bloody impossible to miss.

30 rounds per clip.

They seem to be available for $499.00 or £399.65.
Although I didn't click on the link, that was written under the google search.

How to get one:-

Private Sales
In Oklahoma (under state law), private sales of firearms are legal. However, knowingly selling a firearm to a person who cannot legally purchase or possess the firearm (such as a convicted felon or drug addict) is illegal, and punishable by up to 180 days in jail. Under state law, you must be 18 to buy a firearm of any type from a private seller.

Carry on Private Property
Open or concealed carry of a firearm on privately owned land or inside a residence (such as a backyard, in your own home, or a large farm) is legal for persons 18 years and older who can legally possess firearms, and no permit is required. However, if a disturbance is caused, such carry could be construed as Disturbing the peace by law enforcement. Additionally, brandishing a firearm without good, legal cause (such as self defense, defense of another, or lawful defense of property) is illegal. Carrying a firearm on private property generally requires the consent/permission of the property owner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Oklahoma

Last edited:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
As others have suggested, if three young adults broke into my house armed with knives and knuckle dusters I would be glad to be armed with something that could fend them off from range.

Whether I would gun them down would depend on their actions, for which in this incident we have no idea what they did. It could have been a yank getting his gun off knowing his rights, or could have been provoked by the assailants.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
They had a knife and brass knuckles. Can't imagine they planned on an apology and a quick exit out the back door if caught.

I'm no hero - in such a situation I wouldn't have confronted them - sure I'd lose face and probably my goods but 4 people would have come out of the situation alive.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
After he shot one, wouldn't the others have fled? If they've been shot in the back or trying to leave, he's a murder in my book.
Or stayed to help their mate ,but whatever they paid the ultimate price which was harsh but fair

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not sure I could live with myself having killed three teenagers in order to protect my household items.

You can't have much then, what have you got, bin bags for curtains?
Oh and don't forget, after they have held a knife to your throat while the others ransack your stuff, if they trip up on a rug in their haste to get out, you will be arrested for failing to provide a duty of care to your 'visitors'.
I'd bloody love to shoot a burglar, and the **** that keyed my van.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
You might not have done.

You are right of course but according to NIBRS, (the US National Incident Based Reporting System), violence during domestic burglary occurs in less than 1% of cases and murder is a result in less than 1% of those.

Those odds would I imagine be even lower if the burglars weren't confronted.

Would the outcome in this case have been different if the burglars had been armed with guns instead of a knife?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here