Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Skalak

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He's bang average. My heart sinks every time the ball is played into space on to his wing - we know what's coming, there's no way he can beat a man so we have to be grateful that he stops, manages to keep possession and plays the ball backwards or inside, all impetus in any break lost.

Praying we have Solly back soon so we can start attacking down both wings and not relying totally on Knocky to stretch teams

In the history of terrible posts on NSC this one quite possibly takes the cake and biscuit. Anyone unfortunate enough to have read its author's previous efforts will know it's not a wind up. To call a player "bang average" and say your heart sinks when he receives the ball, on a day he made three assists is asking for it frankly.

Skalak isn't the quickest or trickiest and he has a tendency to fall over too much. He can, however, shoot, cross and pass the ball in a manner that gets goals. Contrast that with the now fifth choice Lua Lua who can do all the FIFA17 skill moves but can't shoot or cross. Skalk - in certain games - will get you goals. Those certain games will not be the same ones that March will. We're just blessed to have a manager who realises that and alternates his players appropriately.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
As others have said, Skalak's game isn't about speed or physical presence and it has taken him a while to adjust to the English game but what he does bring is that final ball. Brovion and Simster and others are spot on. How many pacy wingers have we had over the last 20 years and how many of those could deliver a final ball. I can't think of any of the top of my head because if they've got pace and accuracy then they wouldn't have been playing for us. And how many players have we had in the same time who could cross a ball like Skalak? Carpenter, Spanish Dave (some of the time) and I'm struggling to remember any others. I think we've got the best of both worlds and the very best that we can realistically hope for in Murphy and Skalak.

One other thing that I think is worth mentioning is the Bong-Skalak partnership. Before his injury last season Bong and Lua Lua had an almost telepathic understanding, together they tore apart teams. Since Bong came back it has taken time for him and Skalak to understand each other's play but over the last few games at home they are both getting better and better and it looks like that little partnership could play just as big a role in our promotion challenge as the Dunk/Duffy, Sidwell/Stephens, Murray/Baldock combination.

Add Elliott Bennett to your delivery top men. And of course Paul Watson.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Do behave. That's so not true. I've seen him score loads of goals from shooting

He can strike the ball very hard. He hits it at the wrong time though and not even he knows where it's gong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Add Elliott Bennett to your delivery top men. And of course Paul Watson.

Great shouts. I'd forgotten about both of those. I would say Bennett's success rate was about the same as Spanish Dave although his all round play was on a completely different level. And yes, definitely Paul Watson.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In the history of terrible posts on NSC this one quite possibly takes the cake and biscuit. Anyone unfortunate enough to have read its author's previous efforts will know it's not a wind up. To call a player "bang average" and say your heart sinks when he receives the ball, on a day he made three assists is asking for it frankly.

Skalak isn't the quickest or trickiest and he has a tendency to fall over too much. He can, however, shoot, cross and pass the ball in a manner that gets goals. Contrast that with the now fifth choice Lua Lua who can do all the FIFA17 skill moves but can't shoot or cross. Skalk - in certain games - will get you goals. Those certain games will not be the same ones that March will. We're just blessed to have a manager who realises that and alternates his players appropriately.

Yup. I wasn't thinking 'bang average' when Bong slipped it through to him yesterday, and I doubt Murray was thinking 'oh bollox it's Jiri' before he dropped the ball right on his head - with his WEAKER FOOT - after one touch.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I think Murray loves Skalak playing - he knows he's going to get a couple of decent chances to nod one in.
We all said it when he signed, that Murray would absolutely thrive off Skalak's delivery and we're seeing it now. If Glenn hits the 20-25 goals he's on course to hit this season, I dare say Jiri will have had a hand in quite a lot of those. They're a lethal combination - much like Murray and Bennett were in our L1 title winning season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We all said it when he signed, that Murray would absolutely thrive off Skalak's delivery and we're seeing it now. If Glenn hits the 20-25 goals he's on course to hit this season, I dare say Jiri will have had a hand in quite a lot of those. They're a lethal combination - much like Murray and Bennett were in our L1 title winning season.

Absolutely. Add to that his corners and free kicks (before he arrived, we consistently hit bloody awful corners that failed to beat the first man) with Murray (or Hemed), Dunk and Duffy in the middle we're always a threat

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Completely bizarre tone of post. I never suggested Hughton was picking the wrong team or that he didn't play well yesterday, and I am aware that it will take March a while to get up to speed.
Sorry, probably got a bit carried away with my frustration that some fans seem to see any other winger in the club as a better option than Jiri who I see as every bit Knockie's equal, albeit in a totally different way. Apologies to you and Macchiavelli for the tone.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sorry, probably got a bit carried away with my frustration that some fans seem to see any other winger in the club as a better option than Jiri who I see as every bit Knockie's equal, albeit in a totally different way. Apologies to you and Macchiavelli for the tone.

I didn't think you had anything to apologise for from your post, personally I thought [MENTION=12342]sdmartin1[/MENTION] reacted oddly personally. Many prefer Murphy over Skalak, despite the stats, and I agree it's frustrating. I have always found it frustrating when people prefer players who are more popular despite actually providing as much to the team. It's my opinion that tangible contributions to the team are more important than aimless running around appeasing the fans. Skalak does more than enough to justify his place in the team every game.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Skalak's game is all about delivery of quality crosses and the occasional rifled shot. He isn't an out and out winger with pace to burn. I like his enthusiasm and the only attribute I'm not too keen on is his tendency to get a bit excited, hit the deck and overdo the theatricals which will lose him the sympathy of some officials. A minor observation that is easily outweighed by what he adds to the team.

IMHO he is still getting better and one of his very best games was the opener at Derby this season when his skills caused Christie all sorts of problems. Christie somehow avoided a yellow card when he was a walking red thanks to Jiri completely owning him. Yes, Jiri will have the odd anonymous game and will get rotated with Murphy - and we will have an embarrassment of riches once Solly and Kaz are fit again.

Jiri also reminds me a little of Spanish Dave - did not possess great pace, often played in a wide-ish position but could deliver a stunning pass or dead ball. If Jiri can net a few more goals then he will become a minor Albion legend like SD.

Winding the clock back even prompts thoughts of Peter O'Sullivan who didn't have pace but was a master of the step-over - for which we loved him. However, there were games when you wondered what dear old Sully brought to the team. Then you would recall he hustled the opposition, contributed many telling passes and crosses plus the odd decent goal. An 'unsung hero' as per the other thread. The goalscorers often get the headlines but it's those that load the bullets for them that are heroes too.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I didn't think you had anything to apologise for from your post, personally I thought [MENTION=12342]sdmartin1[/MENTION] reacted oddly personally. Many prefer Murphy over Skalak, despite the stats, and I agree it's frustrating. I have always found it frustrating when people prefer players who are more popular despite actually providing as much to the team. It's my opinion that tangible contributions to the team are more important than aimless running around appeasing the fans. Skalak does more than enough to justify his place in the team every game.

Thank you. Nicely put too.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Apology accepted. Although I'm still struggling to work out what I did to wind things up.
I have done that on other threads, though.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

This.

Also pleased to see Sidwell yanking him off the ground after yet another sniper shot him moment. Needs to improve his dark arts/acting skills, suggest some private tuition from Murray.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008

I rate Skalak, especially when he hits form just don't think he possesses all the attributes that a fit Solly March can bring. (Although I acknowledge March won't be back until December/January most likely). I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one, appreciate the apology though and apologies if I misinterpreted your initial post.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
I rate Skalak, especially when he hits form just don't think he possesses all the attributes that a fit Solly March can bring. (Although I acknowledge March won't be back until December/January most likely). I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one, appreciate the apology though and apologies if I misinterpreted your initial post.
Apart from the fact they play on different sides of the pitch....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it by this thread Jiri can proudly join the list for Albion players who many fans would drive to x for £2m.
Irrespective of how long the queue is of other clubs desperately waving 'please sign for us' contacts.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

I also rate Skalak but he's very different from March. Skalak's a left winger for a start, he can actually cross to a Brighton player consistently and is generally more reliable in terms of retaining possession. March will be in competition with Knockaert or at best, Baldock, in my opinion. He also, is unlikely to start over either for a while.

I'm really keen to see March back. He's probably our 3rd best winger behind Knockaert and Skalak and brings a great level of directness, cutting inside more than Knockaert does but I don't see him reaching 100% until after Christmas.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Lets ease March back into contention shall we. Anyone would think we had Lionel Messi coming back from injury. Yes he hit a purple patch before getting injured but before that purple patch he wasnt exactly pulling up any trees.

As for Skalak he is getting better game by game. He isnt as tricky or pacy but he is getting more solid and yes he does need to stop the sniper stuff...but it will come.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here