Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The students are at it again after the Queen's Speech

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Ah, if only we had a dictatorship in this country. There'd be all happy then, bless them

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I'd be very disappointed if students weren't protesting about something.

Protests and righteous anger are all part of student culture - In my era we were very 'lucky' with Vietnam and nuclear weapons, (CND), to protest about.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Give it a break BoF. It,s becoming embarrassing.

I believe most people understood what ThunderBolt meant by "a lot of degrees". Only pedants like yourself choose to read it differently.
That's your opinion. I read Thunder Bolt as being disparaging to a majority (in her words) of degrees.

The simple fact is that employers for most industries require a degree.

I'm not embarrassed, but thank you for feeling embarrassed for me.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The usual bollocks from the naive homeowners , there are actually other generations apart from you you know!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Students in protest shocker. My lectures were cancelled for a week during the First Iraq war. It's only the last few years they have been distrated by extra cirrucular social media chugging kickstarter activities.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
That's your opinion. I read Thunder Bolt as being disparaging to a majority (in her words) of degrees.

The simple fact is........

I don't recall her using the words "majority of degrees"...? That implies more than 50%. She said..."a lot", which could mean, say 500 out of a total of 50,000.

The simple fact is BoF, you are from a middle class background with a father who is/was, clearly academically bright, so your opinion on academics , like so many of your class, is tainted.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
His degree enabled him to work hard in a position to then afford to 'cheaply volunteer' for a charity.

i'd venture the hard work and inclination to do something else enabled him rather than a degree.

The simple fact is that employers for most industries require a degree.

funny old thing that word "fact"... since the vast majority of those over 35 wouldnt have a degree, i suspect this isnt one. what you probably mean is, most employers expect a degree for new recruits. which is a problem for those that dont have one and means lots of degree educated people in mundane, routine jobs that dont require that level of education.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Wait until they're in full-time permanent employment earning at least the national average salary.
See if they still want to protest.

You know they might just do it. Not all people only consider themselves, some people go out and protest on behalf of society, community and others.

Good on the protesters, Heres to democracy.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
[

funny old thing that word "fact"... since the vast majority of those over 35 wouldnt have a degree, i suspect this isnt one. what you probably mean is, most employers expect a degree for new recruits. which is a problem for those that dont have one and means lots of degree educated people in mundane, routine jobs that dont require that level of education.[/QUOTE]

and that is what we find over here in your far flung colonial out post .......thousands of engineering dux's out of work or serving burgers , stacking shelves or generally making a nuisance of themselves in the building industry.....fact. a degree here would cost the recipient around 90 k through the hecs scheme here.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't recall her using the words "majority of degrees"...? That implies more than 50%. She said..."a lot", which could mean, say 500 out of a total of 50,000.

The simple fact is BoF, you are from a middle class background with a father who is/was, clearly academically bright, so your opinion on academics , like so many of your class, is tainted.
What is a lot? Depends on your agenda. A lot of Muslims would be enough to tip the balance for some people.

Being privately educated doesn't make my opinion less valid though, surely?

It's not healthy to write someone off as being a particular voter.

I'm 34 and I've never voted for the perceived party who feeds the rich.

I'm not amused that my background, seemingly, dictates my views.

I'm not going to excuse my education. My father worked damn hard and got in to debt to educate me.

I might have been an arse hole in the city, eyeing up milfs and downing beers, had I not lost much of my hearing at 18. Who knows?

I've always felt I'm a pretty rounded person which is how I ended up working in special needs..

This was not intended to be a motion to get an MBE, more so to prove that us public school boys are not all bad.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
What is a lot? Depends on your agenda. A lot of Muslims would be enough to tip the balance for some people.

Being privately educated doesn't make my opinion less valid though, surely?

It's not healthy to write someone off as being a particular voter.

I'm 34 and I've never voted for the perceived party who feeds the rich.

I'm not amused that my background, seemingly, dictates my views.

I'm not going to excuse my education. My father worked damn hard and got in to debt to educate me.

I might have been an arse hole in the city, eyeing up milfs and downing beers, had I not lost much of my hearing at 18. Who knows?

I've always felt I'm a pretty rounded person which is how I ended up working in special needs..

This was not intended to be a motion to get an MBE, more so to prove that us public school boys are not all bad.

I would never suggest that all you public schoolboys are bad. Far from it.

But you are being more than a bit of a pedant tonight.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I would never suggest that all you public schoolboys are bad. Far from it.

But you are being more than a bit of a pedant tonight.
We will agree to disagree.

Thunder Bolt is in her late sixties. I'm disinclined to believe that undergraduates had wished they had skipped uni in favour of taking her place on the payroll.

From experience, degrees are worth more than she credits them with. The nature of the beast means that you need a degree if you wish to work in the vast majority of industries and not a jobbing job. That is the sad truth.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
A country where the students aren't protesting has something wrong with it.

No place is perfect, and once you're on the treadmill of getting-and-gaining, especially once a family assembles itself around you, it's harder and harder to point out the not-perfect.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You can talk, you're a slap head whose the wrong side of 40, and obviously sensitive about it.

Oh behave, hair aside, I've got plenty of life and energy in me for which I'm grateful. Want to come raving at the weekend?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
University for me was three years of Pot Noodles and hand shandies. Best time of my life by far.

Same here. My uni days were the best 4 years of my life without doubt. Such fun. And I worked hard as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In my minds eye, I always pictured you with a full head of hair.

I feel strangely disappointed.

:smile:

You have to go back a few decades for the Herr hair period I'm afraid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here