Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The students are at it again after the Queen's Speech

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where have I professed to being a snob, Yorkie? 50% of my working career has been in low paid manual jobs. I dislike that aversion you suggested.

You have completely misinterpreted and misrepresented my views.

If anything, you have shown yourself to be a bigot in your posts and dismissive of people who work hard to gain a 'worthless degree'.

I've had enough of you. In my day... :yawn:

I haven't been dismissive as you have interpreted it, but said that many jobs don't need degrees. Some of the youngsters that I worked with said to me, that although they enjoyed their time at Uni, they wished they had gone out to work at 18 instead.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
That's what you find with democratically elected governments, they are given the power to put White Papers to the House of Commons for debate, which if supported by a majority of MPs, are then passed over to the Lords for further debate. If, and only if, they also vote in favour of the Bill it is then passed on to the monarch to receive royal ascent.

Easy enough for you?

In practice, the Lords cannot stop a Bill passing into law. They can only force the Commons to reconsider.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thunder Bolt was inferring that degrees were worthless. She then went on to mention various industries. I was simply pointing out that her world is not the real world.

I inferred that some degrees were worthless. There's a huge difference. In my 'world' we need a variety of workers not just intellectuals.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I haven't been dismissive as you have interpreted it, but said that many jobs don't need degrees. Some of the youngsters that I worked with said to me, that although they enjoyed their time at Uni, they wished they had gone out to work at 18 instead.
Many jobs don't need degrees, but a lot demand them. You must have been lucky as I have not met a single person whom regretted going to university and unlike you, I was in that environment.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Times change. My mother has four o - levels, but ended up in a decent career in PR for Japan Airlines and later, Kate Adie.

There's more competition now and a degree shows 'greater ability' than a school leaver.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thunder Bolt was inferring that degrees were worthless. She then went on to mention various industries. I was simply pointing out that her world is not the real world.

i'd say its pretty accurate. brickies, welders, actors and bar staff dont need degrees in construction, engineering, drama and tourism. the last generation has had far too much emphasis on getting a degree, often for the sake of it, many of which are wholey unsuitable for real professional development. coming from IT, there are plenty of computer studies or business information and what not graduates who know diddly squat about how to actually run IT systems, nor the aptitude to work it out for themselves (which degrees dont teach).

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A lot of degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on. When I was working, the youngsters coming in had degrees, but were doing the same job as me, who left school at 16.
We need apprenctices for manual, practical jobs, engineering & construction. We need firefighters, coastguards & police.
Some. A lot. Make your mind up! :)
I inferred that some degrees were worthless. There's a huge difference. In my 'world' we need a variety of workers not just intellectuals.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Working hard with next to nothing to show for it, no chance of ever owning their own home, with their vital public services being dismantled and the NHS being sold off, their law being handed over to the global corporatocracy, welfare of the most vulnerable being slashed, their privacy being sacrificed in the name of "counter terror", and so on.

Why could people ever want to protest? :facepalm:

The NHS being sold off is a massive myth to create an anti-Tory hysteria.
Under Labour the rate of privatisation in the health service was almost 5%, with a Consertvative PM for the last five years the level of privitisation is at 6% - so it has slowed down to only just over 1%.
Privitisation is talked about as such a dirty word with the NHS - I'm assuming as you want no private involvement - we should stop Macmillan cancer nurses from working in the Health Service?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You tend to need a degree to take on something like teaching. Is that a pointless occupation?

Both tourism and drama are worth billions to the world economy. Are they worthless?

She is actually studying music. Presumably a subject gauged as worthless by you.
no , but they're something that should be taught at a local tech, not university and not worth a degree.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
i'd say its pretty accurate. brickies, welders, actors and bar staff dont need degrees in construction, engineering, drama and tourism. the last generation has had far too much emphasis on getting a degree, often for the sake of it, many of which are wholey unsuitable for real professional development. coming from IT, there are plenty of computer studies or business information and what not graduates who know diddly squat about how to actually run IT systems, nor the aptitude to work it out for themselves (which degrees dont teach).
She didn't mention those industries and I'm not belittling them.

You are mismatching degrees to occupations.

There are presumably loads of people with degrees that don't match their occupation, but I'd be willing to suggest that university students pay more tax eventually.

I don't see why the general folk are so disparaging towards the student body as a whole.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
She didn't mention those industries and I'm not belittling them.

You are mismatching degrees to occupations.

There are presumably loads of people with degrees that don't match their occupation, but I'd be willing to suggest that university students pay more tax eventually.

I don't see why the general folk are so disparaging towards the student body as a whole.

I said engineering & construction which would include welders & brickies.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Many jobs don't need degrees, but a lot demand them. You must have been lucky as I have not met a single person whom regretted going to university and unlike you, I was in that environment.

Well it was a waste of fvcking time then if 50% of your jobs have been low paid manual ones.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A lot of degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on. When I was working, the youngsters coming in had degrees, but were doing the same job as me, who left school at 16.
We need apprenctices for manual, practical jobs, engineering & construction. We need firefighters, coastguards & police.

I said engineering & construction which would include welders & brickies.
That was within your post suggesting most degrees are worthless.

Show me where there are shortages in manual labour and the professions suffering cut backs and I'll take your point.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
That was within your post suggesting most degrees are worthless.

Show me where there are shortages in manual labour and the professions suffering cut backs and I'll take your point.

Give it a break BoF. It,s becoming embarrassing.

I believe most people understood what ThunderBolt meant by "a lot of degrees". Only pedants like yourself choose to read it differently.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My brother - in - law is a coastguard (now qualified to pick up the deceased from Beachy Head) [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] - fancy telling him his degree is worthless?

unless his degree was in coastguard studies, what relevance does it have to this vocation?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here