Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House buying tips

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Marine parade. Past Kemptown.....

Depending upon exactly where, a nice area with good shops, pubs, restaurants etc. Parking will be tough until you get a residents permit sorted out.

Difficult to get in and out of especially in the summer by either car or public transport, but that is offset by the area which offers just about everything you could want really.

Good luck.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ooh, I'll keep an eye on this thread, looking to become a first-time buyer potentially later this year. Has anyone got experience of buying - or knows of a friend of a friend who has bought - a new-build house? Worth it, or a risky choice?
New places tend to be over-priced. You're generally better buying used.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Was the property misdiscribed by halls? If so threaten them with the property misdiscriptions act or reimburse you. I have done it before.

It's a nice thought and I'll look into it but I believe the details carried a disclaimer, virtually invisible compared to the "Share of Freehold" headline at the top, but there nevertheless. Thanks for the thought though - what were the circumstances of your situation?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Can't recomend anything to do with properties in central brighton, however if you need a mortgage drop a PM to [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION].

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ooh, I'll keep an eye on this thread, looking to become a first-time buyer potentially later this year. Has anyone got experience of buying - or knows of a friend of a friend who has bought - a new-build house? Worth it, or a risky choice?

When you go round the show houses, check the bedrooms actually have full sized beds and wardrobes. We looked at few and the bedrooms in some were made to look bigger by having slightly smaller furniture, ie narrower beds.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Fill your boots. They only ever go up.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
It's a nice thought and I'll look into it but I believe the details carried a disclaimer, virtually invisible compared to the "Share of Freehold" headline at the top, but there nevertheless. Thanks for the thought though - what were the circumstances of your situation?

i am pretty sure it does not matter what disclaimers they put on it - if they have misdescribed the property in any way you can have them. the property misdescriptions act is fairly strict. in any event if you feel they have misled you on the property description all you have to do is write to them and explain your costs so far and how you think they have misled you and copy in a solicitor. got to be worth a go?

mine was a property in brunswick place where the description suggested that i had access and ownership of the first floor balcony when in fact the lease did not provide ownership of the balcony. i just wrote and said i was pulling out and said they should cover my costs under the property misdescriptions and they rolled over.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
and for general advice on buying a new build - generally i wouldn't - you will always pay a new build premium which means you are paying more than its worth. as for the seafront - check the service/maintenance charges. generally very high for obvious reasons.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Try this,if you have the Close,Road/Row/Street you know where you want to live (if you can afford it) you write out a letter to every owner something like this Dear Sir or Madam should you wish to sell your property can you please contact me,etc,etc

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
i am pretty sure it does not matter what disclaimers they put on it - if they have misdescribed the property in any way you can have them. the property misdescriptions act is fairly strict. in any event if you feel they have misled you on the property description all you have to do is write to them and explain your costs so far and how you think they have misled you and copy in a solicitor. got to be worth a go?

mine was a property in brunswick place where the description suggested that i had access and ownership of the first floor balcony when in fact the lease did not provide ownership of the balcony. i just wrote and said i was pulling out and said they should cover my costs under the property misdescriptions and they rolled over.

Thanks v much. I'll check this out and let you know.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thinking of buying a flat on the seafront in Brighton...

Appreciate this isn't a particularly amusing thread but if anyone has got any wise counsel, we'd be grateful.

Cheers

Don't put it on your credit card unless you can pay it off at the end of the month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here