Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Small minority of idiots in our support today

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I started going to away games in 1990. This post could have been from any year since then.

For most of that time you could have had the stand to yourself and stood where you liked. Not exactly the strongest mitigating point made on this thread :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This time next week we will be looking forward to a home game...should be a cracking atmosphere and hopefully a better team performance

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I read that as more of a moan about being overly abusive towards the players after less than one game, not the actual choice of words used..........

Indeed. But if that is all it had been I wouldn’t be complaining at all. That happens every away game.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They may well be members of NSC.

Sure they are. They’re all STHs in the North, have been for many seasons now. Be very easy to get their names and addresses, and hopefully a club letter / word from DB will be winging its way through this week along the lines of “we’re watching you, any more of that and...” Spitting is disgusting. But then with Jamie C flobbing, Suarez biting etc is it any wonder these youngsters think such behaviour is ok? Dare I say that if you’re beered up and in a crowd you probably aren’t aware of how objectionable you can be too? Equally some pissheads are hilarious and highly entertaining. Sadly, these aren’t in a majority.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The OP had every right to come on here and raise the issue but should have made it clear at that time that he had reported it through the proper channels and that would have eliminated about half the posts on here.

He shouldn't have received some of the replies he did, regardless of whether he had reported it or not. Also, some people said he should have reported the issue to the club instead of whinging. He can do both. For some curious reason, certain individuals seemed to have a problem with him posting it on here at all.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
For some curious reason, certain individuals seemed to have a problem with him posting it on here at all.

One of them is me. ( having the problem with posting, that is )
Curious reason as you put it is that a member of my family is in the photo posted, another posted photo has been deleted by the OP.
My family member was not involved in any spitting and says he didn't see any spitting.

Point is the photo on this thread is taken in a pub of a group of Albion fans, it's unfair to point the finger at some lads in the photo that may have not been involved in anything mentioned in the opening post.

I'm not excusing any for bad behaviour, but there is a difference between being drunk, loud and annoying, and being accused of spitting at a fellow Albion fan.

I would not be happy if my family member was spitting.

I have now seen another crowd photo of who I'm told is the OP, he is arguing at half time with some lads behind him.
These lads are younger than my family member who is not arguing with the OP or standing behind him.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Indeed. But if that is all it had been I wouldn’t be complaining at all. That happens every away game.

Often games within reach - about the 55 mile radius can be the worst for this. However, we had some really horrible pissed up louts in front of us at Stoke away last season. Doing very similar things that you mentioned, away stewards often show no or little interest. We were lucky that they were so drunk they pretty much passed out by half time (missing one of the most exciting ends to a game last season).

I think that Mods should allow this type debate as it is relevant to traveling fans, rather than put scorn on it. They turn a blind eye to much worse on some of the political threads, like avatars with terrorist slogans and openly support discredited dog racing.

Paul Barbar was asked at the forum about selecting seating at away games, he discussed having a lower seated section and then a section at the back. I assume this was his way of separating drinking rowdy fans from, family's kids etc. He said the main issue was away clubs agreeing or being able to accommodate this, his answer was actually in response to people that could not stand.

Lots of people have said confront these types of fans or report them but dealing with drunk people or trying to get an away steward on a minimum wage to deal with them, is not really what we are traveling to away games for.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Curious reason as you put it is that a member of my family is in the photo posted, another posted photo has been deleted by the OP.
My family member was not involved in any spitting and says he didn't see any spitting.

Point is the photo on this thread is taken in a pub of a group of Albion fans, it's unfair to point the finger at some lads in the photo that may have not been involved in anything mentioned in the opening post.

I'm not excusing any for bad behaviour, but there is a difference between being drunk, loud and annoying, and being accused of spitting at a fellow Albion fan.

I have now seen another crowd photo of who I'm told is the OP, he is arguing at half time with some lads behind him.
These lads are younger than my family member who is not arguing with the OP or standing behind him.

Fair enough about the photos, although looks like they've been deleted now. I was referring to the replies to the initial post, before the photos were posted.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Have to say that is an odd post when taken in context with your previous posts!

You have effectively accused the OP of lying because you said the spitting didn't happen but above you say in the photo that you family member is not in the group behind the OP so how the hell can he comment on whether there was spitting or not if he wasn't there to witness it?

The other question is that if someone was drunk and spitting, would they admit to it when sober or would they 'grass' on a mate who was overstepping the line?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
You said it was your daughter that saw the spitting.

Now you can see why I would like to know the facts.

Without getting distracted by spitting, which would be easy to prove as most stands have good HD CCTV now.

Overall the thread is about experiencing drunken behavior at modern football stadiums. At home we can request to move, away it feels threatening or futile to confront groups of young mainly drunk men.

We can all say they are alright or do not mean any harm, but that's fine if your part of it. I know at Palace away where some fans beahiour is the worst we have our own stewards in attendance, we had a very offensive fellow near us who just gave awful gestures to the home fans without the watching the game. They took him away to his seat that was obviously near the back. This could be part of the solution along side different areas within the away section.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Have to say that is an odd post when taken in context with your previous posts!

You have effectively accused the OP of lying because you said the spitting didn't happen but above you say in the photo that you family member is not in the group behind the OP so how the hell can he comment on whether there was spitting or not if he wasn't there to witness it?

The other question is that if someone was drunk and spitting, would they admit to it when sober or would they 'grass' on a mate who was overstepping the line?

My family member was in the row behind the OP, sorry you may have misunderstood the last part of my post you have quoted.

He has showed me a close up crowd shot and he is near the OP but minding his own business.
This photo was taken at half time, I'm not sure who took the photo though.

He has pointed out the OP in the photo arguing with some lads, my family member isn't arguing but is nearby.
Hope that explains it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here