Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
https://www.strava.com/routes/6831445

Well Ladies and Gents, the next international break is coming up. So Tricky and G's entertainment PLC can now announce the next Geeks ride. Starting at Shoreham. Well Brighton City Airport as it is now, Saturday 12th November. 9.30am start.

Just gonna bounce this. Only a couple of weeks to go. Come on .... no footy, what 2nd best thing to do than a Geeks ride. Oh free parking st the airport too for anyone further away.

BN53 4FF

Last edited:

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Would it be acceptable for my colleague to join us for this ride?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hey [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] if you are getting yourself a new Roubaix it would seem like you're joining the ranks of the disc brake:-

http://road.cc/content/feature/2093...nge-tarmac-venge-ruby-sequoia-diverge-roubaix

That reads like Spech aren't quite sure what to do with the Roubaix brand.

I think they are very sure - this year's model is a major revamp, and all reviews are very favourable.

I think they are making a bit of a statement, a challenge almost, to the UCI.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think they are very sure - this year's model is a major revamp, and all reviews are very favourable.

I think they are making a bit of a statement, a challenge almost, to the UCI.

That reads like they want to take it down the 'gravel' route, which they already have Diverge and that new one.
£1,900 is a lot of money for an entry level bike with mechanical discs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's never a gravel bike. Hardly entry level either, given the specs.
Sure but having re-read that feature, I still can't place the bike.
Assuming I'm right in thinking it was always designed for us 'competitive' non-racing sportive types.

The lightest ever.
Can be set up for both aggressive or relaxed positioning.
But disc brakes (no matter what way you slice it £1,900 is a lot of money for mechanical)
Up to 32mm tyres - sold with 26's.

I bet it's a lovely ride, but I'm still not convinced it doesn't fall between 2 stools, at a high end price.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Does anyone do night riding?

Have purchased two Cateyes 6,000 lumen lights. First ride last night at 11pm and was rather eerie to say the least but was the lights were great.

[yt]5toVhjc7YUQ[/yt]

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Having just watched Wiggo come a close second to a pensioner on a moped, a question for those in the know; In the Derny race, how does the derny rider know how fast to go ? does the rider tell them to pick it up a bit ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having just watched Wiggo come a close second to a pensioner on a moped, a question for those in the know; In the Derny race, how does the derny rider know how fast to go ? does the rider tell them to pick it up a bit ?
The 'driver', usually a former pro, rides the derny increasing the speed through the laps to whatever the maximum speed is, on his last lap.

The riders don't get involved.

It all makes considerably more sense if you ever find yourself in a slipstream type situation.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The 'driver', usually a former pro, rides the derny increasing the speed through the laps to whatever the maximum speed is, on his last lap.

It all makes considerably more sense if you ever find yourself in a slipstream type situation.

That's the Keirin isn't it ?
The one I was watching, they had a derny rider each and they all drew lots to see which derny they followed.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

That's the Keirin isn't it ?
The one I was watching, they had a derny rider each and they all drew lots to see which derny they followed.

Yep, the single derny one is the Keirin. In a derny race you communicate with the your derny if you want to attack/up the pace.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey Geeks - looking at you here [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION].

My Monday ride has really stuck with me.
Sussex was just spectacular.

Those, in the area, won't be disappointed with a ride incorporating West Chiltington, Christ's Hospital or Warninglid and Fulking.

Marvelous scenes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here