Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Nathan coming upon the rails?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Can't see any incoming manager wanting to keep him.Maybe this is an issue, most new managers want there own asst. If we block this because Jones is under contract or whatever, then that tells everyone all they need to know, about the ambitious around the place.

Don't know the norm but I would have thought that Paul was bright enough to have termination clause put his NJ's contract which would be triggered if Oscar left [voluntarily]. Recruiting a manager without his own team would always be an issue.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would support him.

Just because he was Garcia's assistant, doesn't mean he necessarily has the same philosophy. Yes, he was a proper weasel when he was with Yeovil (that post-match interview where Micky Adams has a go at him was brilliant!), but I have a feeling that he could be a decent manager. His image wasn't helped by the fact that Oscar left him to give all the post-match interviews whenever we played rubbish. Anyone would look clueless trying to say 'the boys done well' when they clearly didn't.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
If Sherwood comes, he will bring Ferdinand and Ramsey with him - so no place for Nathan.

If Clement comes, unlikely to bring ZZidane (!) with him from Real, so Nathan might well stay.

Other candidates? - who knows?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Jones is the Hinshelwood Strategy all over again.

Massively delayed internal appointment in World Cup summer.

That ended in relegation.

Agreed. Would be a complete and utter ****ing disaster. The message it sends the fans is "we no longer have any ambitions to take the club up". Tony will not want to send that message. Therefore, it won't happen. If I were Nathan, I'd be looking for a new job now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
or indeed if you do

are you seriously suggesting that Nathan Jones looks like the sort of person who has the pedigree, experience, tactical vision and man management skills to lead our team to play-offs/promotion? it would smack of desperation and no ambition, unless he's been hiding a light under a very large bushel.

Jones is the Hinshelwood Strategy all over again.

at least he had the redeeming credit of bringing a number of players through the academy, and we were genuinely skint. we are no longer impoverished and suitable funding must be allocated to suitable manager.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I can, unfortunately, remember the train wreck that was Hinslewood. Appointing Jones would end in similar disaster I feel and just cant see TB going down this route. Or at least that what I truly hope.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I would support him.

Just because he was Garcia's assistant, doesn't mean he necessarily has the same philosophy. Yes, he was a proper weasel when he was with Yeovil (that post-match interview where Micky Adams has a go at him was brilliant!), but I have a feeling that he could be a decent manager. His image wasn't helped by the fact that Oscar left him to give all the post-match interviews whenever we played rubbish. Anyone would look clueless trying to say 'the boys done well' when they clearly didn't.

I wouldn't support him.

Because he was OG's assistant, is the reason I want him gone. He was part of the indecision and inconsistency in tactics that cost us dear. Who decided to be bold at Leicester? Whoever that was, why weren't they bold at Derby? If NJ persuaded OG to go hung ho at Leicester, why didn't he persuade him to do the same at Derby? It just doesn't add up.
He was complicit in the naive and futile tactics employed at Derby. He was part of the management team that heaped humiliation on BHA fans from a great height and there should be a total clear-out.
If the board appointed him, that would be me gone, until he was replaced.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Fair enough [MENTION=17103]Mo Gosfield[/MENTION] - we all have our opinions. I just feel that you cannot judge someone as a potential manager by their time as an assistant, otherwise Steve McClaren would have been a much, much better manager. I guess I am just trying to say that, given that I didn't pay much attention to Jones' managerial spell at Yeovil, is that he is an unknown quality.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
are you seriously suggesting that Nathan Jones looks like the sort of person who has the pedigree, experience, tactical vision and man management skills to lead our team to play-offs/promotion? it would smack of desperation and no ambition, unless he's been hiding a light under a very large bushel.

at least he had the redeeming credit of bringing a number of players through the academy, and we were genuinely skint. we are no longer impoverished and suitable funding must be allocated to suitable manager.

There's a list as long as both your arms of managers who've lead teams to play-offs/promotion and yet possessed precious little pedegree or tactical vision and very few man management skills!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
no, if the club give him the job, its our responsibility to question if those running the club really have a clue.

Take you back to the Gus appointment which looked a huge risk judging on our position and at the end of the day we are not privey to what gets said at the interview process.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
There is no way he will get he job as they would not be interviewing. Where will TB's credibility be as he has already said there is a list of top quality applications but then says hey decided to give it to NJ.

If they wanted him as a cheap/short term option they would have promoted him and not even advertised the vacancy

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Take you back to the Gus appointment which looked a huge risk judging on our position and at the end of the day we are not privey to what gets said at the interview process.

Maybe but no one thought Gus was a weasel before hand and no-one had experience of Gus standing on the side lines with his hands in his gillet pockets screaming nonsensicle tactical claptrap at the Amex.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I know which I would rather have watched. (YES I am a season ticket holder and YES I went to more than 10 away games last season before you pipe up.)

Der, talk about missing the point, 2 days late. Been on the booze?

Stumpy Tim

Maybe but no one thought Gus was a weasel before hand and no-one had experience of Gus standing on the side lines with his hands in his gillet pockets screaming nonsensicle tactical claptrap at the Amex.

How do you know he was screaming "nonsensical tactical claptrap"? It probably made perfect sense to the players. Jones has all his badges, led Charlton to the dev title, and was part of the management team that took us to 6th. I think he would do a decent job personally

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I would be surprised if Jones was not on the short list.

Bloom rates him highly and given how hands off Oscar was last season Jones was clearly doing a lot of the coaching. Regardless of the style of football he still got us in the play offs despite an appalling season of injuries.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I would be amazed if NJ is in the running. Why would he be with the 'high calibre candidates' we allegedly have applying, as per TB/PB? Does anyone seriously see NJ as a high calibre candidate? And, if so, why? He is way, way below all of the talked about candidates in terms of skills and experience. The club must surely have learned from the Tinselhead debacle. Clearly, some on here haven't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here