Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club "investigating" dedicated train service to Manchester

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
on a dry train to Coventry out of Euston one year until someone broke into the buffet car :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Oooh that was brave of them. I want to be in their gang.

Whatever.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You know my name ask that dick head of a copper and he will tell you it is true. They were charged with trying to enter a sports stadium having consumed alcohol and received a conditional discharge or ask Piltdown Man to ask one of my sons about it at the next home game. it is no major issue but not as you describe it going to a game there are still laws governing the consumption of alcohol.

You have misunderstood, or your sons have not told you the whole truth. It is simply NOT an offence, to ‘enter a sports stadium having consumed alcohol”. It IS an offence to try to bring alcohol into the ground, or to try to enter the ground intoxicated, but not simply ‘having consumed alcohol”.

Either your lads were pissed, or the copper decreed that they were.

You can read for yourself here; https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/57

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Decent to see them considering different options but for me it’s too expensive compared with driving, especially as a group of four. It would also mean leaving earlier and getting back later than if I drove. And we might stay up on the Friday or Saturday night.

Not sure that this is going to get much take up unless the price comes down which I assume would need the club to heavily subsidise it (they may already be doing this in that indicative costing?)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Decent to see them considering different options but for me it’s too expensive compared with driving, especially as a group of four. It would also mean leaving earlier and getting back later than if I drove. And we might stay up on the Friday or Saturday night.

Not sure that this is going to get much take up unless the price comes down which I assume would need the club to heavily subsidise it (they may already be doing this in that indicative costing?)

If a group of like-minded folk were making away game travel decisions based on cost, no one would ever get the train to games.

I think you've said before you're not much of a drinker and my recollection of your travels is that you invariably drive. I am a drinker and I'll always choose to take the train. I think these things are related!

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Train is far more convenient and less hassle re finding somewhere to park etc - but more costly

Having driven to away games and home games for years - now far prefer the train for away games

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
This doesn’t really concern me, I live in Spain, but as an olden with wisdom, I hope, I would like to give my opinion.
If you cannot go for 2 1/2 hours on a train without a drink I think you have problems that you should address in your own way.
The train should arrive at 12.30 in Manchester leaving lots of time for drinking and eating before the match. How much time do you need? How much can you consume before falling asleep?
I may have misjudged this thread and it is just a willy waving contest but really, do you have to drink all the way there and all the way back?
I appreciate that when we were shit you needed a drink to watch the team but that is not the case now, is it?
I don’t have your experiences of following Brighton because I haven’t been there for years. Albion will always be in my heart because I am Sussex born. Anyway, just saying.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
You have misunderstood, or your sons have not told you the whole truth. It is simply NOT an offence, to ‘enter a sports stadium having consumed alcohol”. It IS an offence to try to bring alcohol into the ground, or to try to enter the ground intoxicated, but not simply ‘having consumed alcohol”.

Either your lads were pissed, or the copper decreed that they were.

You can read for yourself here; https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/57

But ultimately if a copper doesn't want to let someone in for whatever reason they can play the "drunk" card knowing full well that it's impossible to prove either way and there's really no way to argue, the only outcome of arguing is a trip to the cells.
In the situation BG describes you have to assume there's something else to the story for them to be refused entry, but there's no reason to assume that it didn't happen. The trick is always to not draw attention to yourself!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This doesn’t really concern me, I live in Spain, but as an olden with wisdom, I hope, I would like to give my opinion.
If you cannot go for 2 1/2 hours on a train without a drink I think you have problems that you should address in your own way.
The train should arrive at 12.30 in Manchester leaving lots of time for drinking and eating before the match. How much time do you need? How much can you consume before falling asleep?
I may have misjudged this thread and it is just a willy waving contest but really, do you have to drink all the way there and all the way back?
I appreciate that when we were shit you needed a drink to watch the team but that is not the case now, is it?
I don’t have your experiences of following Brighton because I haven’t been there for years. Albion will always be in my heart because I am Sussex born. Anyway, just saying.

It is far from a willy waving contest. We go to away games and admittedly drink quite a bit. It's our way of having a good day out, not about just going somewhere for 90 minutes of football. You live in Spain but that's no excuse not to follow the team. If you did follow results, you'd realize our away form is pretty shit.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
what 'legislation' bans alcohol on trains? Rail operators sell the stuff themselves, on some routes!

It’s been covered earlier in the thread, but basically any transport that is being run solely to take people to a sporting (or is it just football?) event cannot have alcohol on it. This includes alcohol that people bring themselves. It’s why football coaches are dry.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Hang on. Booze is sooo last century. We're told young people in particular are increasingly turning their backs on alcohol.
So, if Southern Trains are involved, by the time the train makes Manchester the problem will have disappeared entirely.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I remember the special to the FA cup game at Peterborough in the 80’s, the Feds actually wanted to taste our Orange Squash That our mums had done for us [emoji23]

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I wonder what a chartered aircraft would cost,. I know it was probably 20 years ago but a Legal and General manager who used our pub told us that they had a sales seminar in Spain and somebody messed up the flights so they chartered a plane for 300 people with no refreshments and it cost less than £8 per person to fly there.

Someone's pulling your leg - If you said £150 a head, that might be plausible........ £8 a head would probably cover 1/3 of the fuel cost, one way, 20 years a go, a bit more I guess.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
stewards on the train, the same as 2004, when we went to cardiff. Funnily enough, the train was awash with booze on the way back, and stewards nowhere to be seen.
we were drinking all the way on that lovely army green train to cardiff

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
"Supporters are advised that alcohol will not be permitted on the train, in accordance with legislation."

What's the point in getting a train to an away match if you can't have train beers?

Ummm because it's faster than travelling by coach, and easier than having to drive perhaps?

Getting pissed enroute and on your way home isn't your main reason for travelling away l take it?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s been covered earlier in the thread, but basically any transport that is being run solely to take people to a sporting (or is it just football?) event cannot have alcohol on it. This includes alcohol that people bring themselves. It’s why football coaches are dry.

Legislation covers all sporting events - suspect that in reality it's just football.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is far from a willy waving contest. We go to away games and admittedly drink quite a bit. It's our way of having a good day out, not about just going somewhere for 90 minutes of football. You live in Spain but that's no excuse not to follow the team. If you did follow results, you'd realize our away form is pretty shit.

It does explain why I've seen some people in a drunken stupor asleep at away grounds. I presume they ask their mates about the game, on the way home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here