Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It was a democratic vote to leave, however, it is the undemocratic forcing through of other things that causes the outrage. If we are to respect the referendum vote we should leave, but we HAVE to keep all the aspects of the eu as this is not part of leaving.

so, what are the parts of the EU you feel we voted on?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It was a democratic vote to leave, however, it is the undemocratic forcing through of other things that causes the outrage. If we are to respect the referendum vote we should leave, but we HAVE to keep all the aspects of the eu as this is not part of leaving.

*sigh* :rolleyes::facepalm::shootself Please god let you be a spoof/second remoaner account and not representative of the younger generation.

#raisethevotingageasap

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Looking forward to people writing musicians off as lefty liberal wankers....

To Theresa May:

Imagine Britain without its music. If it’s hard for us, then it’s impossible for the rest of the world. In this one area, if nowhere else, Britain does still rule the waves. The airwaves. The cyberwaves. The soundwaves. It is of us. It is our culture.

We dominate the market and our bands, singers, musicians, writers, producers and engineers work all over Europe and the world. In turn, Europe and the world come to us. Why? Because we are brilliant at it. No one quite knows why this should be but everyone understands it to be so. The sound and the words seem universal. It reaches out, all inclusive, and embraces anyone and everyone. And that truly is what Britain IS! That is proper Global Britain.

But Brexit threatens, as it does so much else, this vast voice. This huge global cultural influencer. We are about to make a very serious mistake regarding our giant industry and the vast pool of yet undiscovered genius that lives on this little island.

Why are we closing down these possibilities for ourselves and for those as yet unknown to us? Brexit will impact every aspect of the music industry. From touring, sales, copyright legislation, to royalty collation. Indeed it already has. As a result of the referendum vote, the fall in the pound has meant hugely increased equipment costs, studio hire, and touring costs all now materially higher than before – and not forgetting that squeezed household incomes means less money to go to clubs and buy tracks, T-shirts, gigs and generate the vast income necessary to keep the up and comers on the road and musically viable.

A massive 60% of all royalty revenue paid to the UK comes from within the EU. And at home, ANY increase in import duty will mean that ANYTHING that comes to us from outside will cost significantly more. We have decided to put ourselves inside a self-built cultural jail! The very opposite of wall-destroying, prejudice-denying, ideas-generating that is the very essence of contemporary music. And yet it is the much-mocked freedom of movement that so effortlessly allows our troubadours, our cultural warriors, to wander Europe and speak of us to a world that cannot get enough of [them], and which generates countless billions for our threatened institutions.

This is all a serious madness. We must take back our future.We must reform and restructure the EU. When Europe is in a mess, the Brits get stuck in. They don’t withdraw, they double down. They get in close and messy. Make Europe the continent that we and the people of Europe want. Not the one dreamt up in another time by the ideologues, or by the undemocratic fiat of mediocre politicians or the dull exhortations of a pallid bureaucracy. A new one. A different one. An exciting one. A rock’n’roll one.

Let’s rock Europe and let’s save our music, our musicians, our music jobs and our songs. Let’s save our voice.

Yours, Bob Geldof and friends.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Looking forward to people writing musicians off as lefty liberal wankers....

Not at all. Just Geldof. Amazing as it may seem to Geldof, music will still exist post-Brexit, as will aircraft flights to and from Europe and holidays abroad. Geldof doesn't speak for all musicians anyway.......................................he's an unimportant has-been these days, but I bet the silly old buffer still thinks he's speaking out for 'yoof'.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not at all. Just Geldof. Amazing as it may seem to Geldof, music will still exist post-Brexit, as will aircraft flights to and from Europe and holidays abroad. Geldof doesn't speak for all musicians anyway.......................................he's an unimportant has-been these days, but I bet the silly old buffer still thinks he's speaking out for 'yoof'.

Not just Geldof. Worth reading the article.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/06/music-star-warn-brexit-cultural-jail

edit: should have linked this before really. soz.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not just Geldof. Worth reading the article.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/06/music-star-warn-brexit-cultural-jail

edit: should have linked this before really. soz.
OK, not just Geldof, but some other musicians too, Not all though. But then, just look at the first sentence of that letter - "Imagine Britain without its music."........... Oh dear oh dear, what hysterical twaddle. That sentence alone decimates credibility - it really is 'Project Fear' all over again, with added hysteria.

Music will still be brilliant after Brexit (but it'll never be as good as it was in the era when The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, Led Zep etc. were at their peak; come to think of it, we weren't in the EU then either!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1048893529899118592[/tweet]

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

pretty shameful from a pro-brexit paper to fuel the doom-mongering, anything to fill inches eh? oil doesnt come from EU, medicine stockpiles are typically 4-6 weeks, Galileo-only sat nav would still work (if they even exist)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
There won’t be a hard Brexit, a deal is 90% done confirmed by Junkers or whatever his name is and the Irish PM! Could be announced as soon as end of month! The Mail article is a disgrace an nothing more than project fear!

D

Deleted member 22389

There won’t be a hard Brexit, a deal is 90% done confirmed by Junkers or whatever his name is and the Irish PM! Could be announced as soon as end of month! The Mail article is a disgrace an nothing more than project fear!

I hope it's the Canada +++ deal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
pretty shameful from a pro-brexit paper to fuel the doom-mongering, anything to fill inches eh? oil doesnt come from EU, medicine stockpiles are typically 4-6 weeks, Galileo-only sat nav would still work (if they even exist)

Ah my mistake I was getting my pro/anti Mail & Mail on Sunday mixed up.

As you were.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Ah my mistake I was getting my pro/anti Mail & Mail on Sunday mixed up.

As you were.

didnt notice it was Mail on Sunday, either way not worth reading for news content as demonstrated by their poor research.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I bet the EU are fuming about Japan's PM's comments.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Pretty sure if something is not voted on it stays the same.

I see what you are saying now. The policy to end free movement as promoted by Vote Leave during the referendum campaign stays the same when Vote Leave won even though the wording “ end free movement” was not written down on the ballot paper and therefore was apparently not voted on.
Glad that is cleared up and free movement should end.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It doesn’t change the fact that whilst everyone else was wallowing in the glow of an Albion victory you decided to visit this thread. And now on a Saturday morning you’re calling [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] a wanker. Remember when you went on the offensive trying to convince us you’re a chilled person; I find it hard to believe this.

Have a nice day.

You show a strange obession about from where and when people post ..... really not sure it makes fvck all difference to the debate .... in fact it's nothing more than weird whataboutery.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I bet the EU are fuming about Japan's PM's comments.

Why would they be? Has the Japanese PM found a way to reduce the importance of geography for trade? Didn’t he say that the UK would no longer be the gateway to Europe? So what he is saying is “we can have a trade deal but obviously it won’t be as good as the one you have with the EU because you will lose all our EU trade”

I love how getting a deal not quite as good as the one the EU has is now a cause for celebration. “Haha things are only going to be a little worse rather than loads worse. PROJECT FEAR LOSERS”

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

The article doesn’t urge the readers to prepare like the tweeter claims at all(probably why he cropped out the headline) . Just reports(according to its sources) on what the gov are apparently planning with some project fear thrown in by the paper. Mail on Sunday though, a remain paper, what else do you expect.
You should have read the article not the tweet.

mos.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Another cost of Brexit being paid for by the ordinary man on the street. Not only did Leave voters shoot themselves in the foot they fired a few shots at their friends and neighbours feet too.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-had-massive-bearing-on-energy-bills-supplier

As for the trade deal with Japan, don’t hold your breath they are already planning to move Panasonic to the Netherlands and several car factories to mainland Europe. They don’t have a lot of confidence in the U.K.
I know the Brexiteers are jumping with joy and told you so’s but we haven’t even heard the terms of joining such a trade union yet. We have absolutely no idea what we would be offered. I know it’s a trope of Leave voters to set off the party poppers and then realise they have t a clue what they are getting excited about so let’s just see what happens before we get excited yeah?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here