Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aston Villa

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
2 years is a long time in football

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3642596/New-Aston-Villa-owner-Tony-Xia-plans-make-club-biggest-world.html

Captured.JPG

theboybilly

"Cornerstone of the English game" ?!

Give me a f**king break.

A bit harsh there mate. Villa are founder members of the Football League, without their undoubted influence in the later stages of the 19th Century and the first quarter of the 20th football as we know it might be very different. This can be said of other clubs of course but very few. They were a true giant and are still a very big club. I would hate to see them go. It makes you wonder how those t@ts up the road are still allowed a place in the leagues

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Looks as if they're ****ed. Either they find some super rich mug to buy the club or they'll go under according to that. I think realistically their best option would be administration, fire sale of their playing assets and an inevitable drop down the divisions. If not it could be Aston Villa 2019 restarting somewhere round Southern league division one east

If they get a buyer, they won't be f**ked. Big club, lots of potential if run right.

BTW, I think we can agree that Barber is worth every penny of his zillion pound contract.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think if you hate Villa you probably hate every other large club in England. Anyway, what you write couldn't be further from the truth for my Villa-supporting friends, trust me they know full well they deserve to be where they are right now and didn't deserve to go up this year

Well that's a load of tosh isn't it. I went to university in the Midlands and had the pleasure of visiting a lot of clubs (mainly for free) as part of some extra curricular stuff I did there. Many of the clubs were welcoming and helpful, and I enjoyed most of the experiences. I visited Villa many times whilst doing this and I can genuinely say I didn't have a pleasant experience on one occasion. I found their fans to be rude and arrogant, the people that worked at the club who I dealt with were the same, I disliked the ground and the total lack of atmosphere there, and the surrounding area is a sh*t hole.

But at least YOUR Villa-supporting friends are aware of their predicament. Spend 5 minutes on their message boards and you'll realise your friends are the exception to the rule.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
A bit harsh there mate. Villa are founder members of the Football League, without their undoubted influence in the later stages of the 19th Century and the first quarter of the 20th football as we know it might be very different. This can be said of other clubs of course but very few. They were a true giant and are still a very big club. I would hate to see them go. It makes you wonder how those t@ts up the road are still allowed a place in the leagues

Yeah, fair enough. Good point, well made.

I don't really want to see any club go to the wall like this but all this "shouldn't happen to a big club" bollocks winds me up.

"Oh no, how could this happen to such a behemoth of the game!?"

You don't get this sort of media furore when clubs like Leyton Orient nearly go out of business.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think if you hate Villa you probably hate every other large club in England. Anyway, what you write couldn't be further from the truth for my Villa-supporting friends, trust me they know full well they deserve to be where they are right now and didn't deserve to go up this year
Why are you bum sucking Villa? As for a big club pretty sure they only sold out for a couple of games last season.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
No, Villa alas will be back in the Premier League before too long.

I can't see it myself.

They have had their gamble on bouncing back in Year 1, then stretched them as far as they could to go for it a second time. But from here they look fecked financially, and will be sliding down the table unless they find a very wealthy backer, very quickly. Without that, they need a clear-out of the big wages this summer, selling anyone they can get a fee for.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Why are you bum sucking Villa? As for a big club pretty sure they only sold out for a couple of games last season.

1 game in the regular season

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Difficult to have much sympathy for them. They've bet the farm on going up this season, drove a truck through FFP, and gave John Terry a job on a £4m bonus-related 1 year deal. Crazy (and dead) money in the Championship. Tony Xia will reap what he has sowed - after the years of austerity under Lerner, Xia was happy to bask in the public adulation of the fans when he bought the club and threw the money around. Now the monies dried up and bills are piling up. He's suddenly gone very quiet on Twitter since that Playoff final defeat.

What a pickle.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Difficult to have much sympathy for them. They've bet the farm on going up this season, drove a truck through FFP, and gave John Terry a job on a £4m bonus-related 1 year deal. Crazy (and dead) money in the Championship. Tony Xia will reap what he has sowed - after the years of austerity under Lerner, Xia was happy to bask in the public adulation of the fans when he bought the club and threw the money around. Now the monies dried up and bills are piling up. He's suddenly gone very quiet on Twitter since that Playoff final defeat.

What a pickle.

Amen. "Cut your coat....."

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Aston Villa owner, Dr Tony Xia, has been bankrolling the former European Champions from the moment he set foot inside Villa Park.

Each month, money would arrive from China, into Villa's bank account to make good the shortfall in normal trading operations.

That has happened, without fail, for the past two years.

Only last month, it didn't. April's money was received. May's wasn't. There was no sign of it turning up. It still hasn't.

Incredibly, that is all it has taken to bring this great football club – this cornerstone of the English game - to its knees.

One missed monthly payment. It's a sizeable one. Aston Villa are running a £5-6m monthly deficit on their current outgoings. But still.

Aston Villa suspended chief executive Keith Wyness after 'missing a tax payment'
And now that has set in motion a chain of events that is likely to see the club change ownership. That is one scenario.

The other is far more unpalatable. Administration – or, if a position with HMRC is not met – a winding up order may be issued.

No more Aston Villa. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Obviously, promotion to the Premier League would have solved the on-going cash crisis.

No wonder Xia, who sat stony-faced at Wembley as Fulham cavorted around the pitch just ten days ago, was unable to show any other emotion.

Perhaps it was a taste of things to come. Xia did not sit with his chief executive, Keith Wyness, at the play-off final. Behind the scenes, they had been seated on separate tables.

Strange, you might think, for the two chief decision-makers not to be joined at the hip – to not share the inevitable joy or pain that was about to be inflicted upon them.

But the writing was on the wall.

A few weeks earlier, Wyness, along with director of football Steve Round, had delivered a presentation to Xia at Bodymoor Heath, outlining the two courses of action that would be taken once Villa had qualified for the end-of-season lottery English football calls the play-offs.

Xia received the news. Didn't blink. Didn't move a muscle. Did not utter one single word.

The three-minute silence was eventually broken by Rongtien He, Xia's eyes and ears at Villa Park.

The result of that meeting led Wyness to confess later to a high-level colleague: “Anything other than promotion is not an option.”

By the time the final whistle blew at Wembley, the chief executive knew that he had to act. He had to take action as per his fiduciary duties as a director of the club.

He knew that the money from the Far East had not been received into Villa's bank account. He had to do something. And swiftly.

Late last week, with the club's payroll due on Friday, Wyness was on the phone, trying to raise the cash to pay it.

Burnley were contacted. Villa were due another chunk of money from Ashley Westwood's £5m transfer later this month.

They took a hit but the money turned up and the staff were paid. Wyness knew that this could not keep going indefinitely.

Any director who has an inkling that the club is trading insolvently must take advice. That was incumbent upon him.

As a director, he could also put the club into administration. It was that which has led Xia to trashing Wyness's reputation after Villa released a statement suspending their chief executive yesterday afternoon.

The next bill was from HMRC for £4.2m. That was the lever for Xia to use to put Wyness on gardening leave.

The authorities have been as aggressive as you might expect them to be in recovering that cash.

In just over three weeks time, Villa are due to make another payroll payment.

The bills just keep coming. And the cash position is little short of horrendous.

Anyone seeking to take on Villa as a going concern will have to make good a staggering £70m shortfall during the course of the next 12 months.

Due to existing contractual commitments the budget is showing a £25m deficit for 2019-20.

That is a £100m hole that needs plugging.

The parachute payment from the Premier League has dropped to £15m. The cash call is growing, not slowing.

Anyone interested in Villa will have to show a commitment to meeting those costs.

At this rate, Xia won't be seeing much back for his £150m gamble during the past two seasons.

He will be lucky to see the club change hands for £1 because someone has got to make good on his reckless calls.

Due to the football creditors' rule, the likes of Micah Richards, Pierluigi Gollini, Ross McCormack – none of whom kicked a ball in anger last season – will all have to be paid their monstrous salaries.

Xia will be lucky if he trousers anything from this.

He could, of course, raise some cash from selling assets.

Jack Grealish is the main one. A public auction might top £30m for the playmaker who has the world at his feet.

That would meet some of the on-going costs. Buy him some time, potentially, to off-load the club to a buyer.

And what of Steve Bruce, the manager who drew together a disparate dressing-room and took Villa to within 90 minutes of diverting this disaster from public attention?

His future has been a subject of debate on message boards and in social media.

He will stay put. He's a tough cookie, Bruce. And anyway, paying him off is a long way down the club's list of priorities.

For now, Xia's got bigger issues to sort out. Like keeping Aston Villa afloat.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...news/exclusive-aston-villa-sell-land-14751409

Exclusive: Aston Villa to sell land in latest cost-cutting measure

Aston Villa are considering selling a plot of land close to Villa Park to deal with their ongoing financial problems.

BirminghamLive understands that Brookvale - the staff parking site on the junction of Witton Road and Tame Road - will be put up for sale to raise funds for the struggling club.

The facility is in a desirable location close to the stadium and could raise around £4.5million if sold with planning permission.

Back in 2011 the site was approved for a housing project of up to 130 homes but was never sold.

And in 2016 the derelict buildings that stood on the site were demolished allowing the car park to function more efficiently.

It’s now understood that it will be sacrificed in the times ahead.

Selling the club CAR PARK.

Might as well get a bid in for Grealish. We'll pick him up for absolute buttons, and can sell him on quick enough for a profit if he turns out to be bobbins.

Everything must go !

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Aston Villa owner, Dr Tony Xia, has been bankrolling the former European Champions from the moment he set foot inside Villa Park.

Each month, money would arrive from China, into Villa's bank account to make good the shortfall in normal trading operations.

That has happened, without fail, for the past two years.

Only last month, it didn't. April's money was received. May's wasn't. There was no sign of it turning up. It still hasn't.

Incredibly, that is all it has taken to bring this great football club – this cornerstone of the English game - to its knees.

One missed monthly payment. It's a sizeable one. Aston Villa are running a £5-6m monthly deficit on their current outgoings. But still.

Aston Villa suspended chief executive Keith Wyness after 'missing a tax payment'
And now that has set in motion a chain of events that is likely to see the club change ownership. That is one scenario.

The other is far more unpalatable. Administration – or, if a position with HMRC is not met – a winding up order may be issued.

No more Aston Villa. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Obviously, promotion to the Premier League would have solved the on-going cash crisis.

No wonder Xia, who sat stony-faced at Wembley as Fulham cavorted around the pitch just ten days ago, was unable to show any other emotion.

Perhaps it was a taste of things to come. Xia did not sit with his chief executive, Keith Wyness, at the play-off final. Behind the scenes, they had been seated on separate tables.

Strange, you might think, for the two chief decision-makers not to be joined at the hip – to not share the inevitable joy or pain that was about to be inflicted upon them.

But the writing was on the wall.

A few weeks earlier, Wyness, along with director of football Steve Round, had delivered a presentation to Xia at Bodymoor Heath, outlining the two courses of action that would be taken once Villa had qualified for the end-of-season lottery English football calls the play-offs.

Xia received the news. Didn't blink. Didn't move a muscle. Did not utter one single word.

The three-minute silence was eventually broken by Rongtien He, Xia's eyes and ears at Villa Park.

The result of that meeting led Wyness to confess later to a high-level colleague: “Anything other than promotion is not an option.”

By the time the final whistle blew at Wembley, the chief executive knew that he had to act. He had to take action as per his fiduciary duties as a director of the club.

He knew that the money from the Far East had not been received into Villa's bank account. He had to do something. And swiftly.

Late last week, with the club's payroll due on Friday, Wyness was on the phone, trying to raise the cash to pay it.

Burnley were contacted. Villa were due another chunk of money from Ashley Westwood's £5m transfer later this month.

They took a hit but the money turned up and the staff were paid. Wyness knew that this could not keep going indefinitely.

Any director who has an inkling that the club is trading insolvently must take advice. That was incumbent upon him.

As a director, he could also put the club into administration. It was that which has led Xia to trashing Wyness's reputation after Villa released a statement suspending their chief executive yesterday afternoon.

The next bill was from HMRC for £4.2m. That was the lever for Xia to use to put Wyness on gardening leave.

The authorities have been as aggressive as you might expect them to be in recovering that cash.

In just over three weeks time, Villa are due to make another payroll payment.

The bills just keep coming. And the cash position is little short of horrendous.

Anyone seeking to take on Villa as a going concern will have to make good a staggering £70m shortfall during the course of the next 12 months.

Due to existing contractual commitments the budget is showing a £25m deficit for 2019-20.

That is a £100m hole that needs plugging.

The parachute payment from the Premier League has dropped to £15m. The cash call is growing, not slowing.

Anyone interested in Villa will have to show a commitment to meeting those costs.

At this rate, Xia won't be seeing much back for his £150m gamble during the past two seasons.

He will be lucky to see the club change hands for £1 because someone has got to make good on his reckless calls.

Due to the football creditors' rule, the likes of Micah Richards, Pierluigi Gollini, Ross McCormack – none of whom kicked a ball in anger last season – will all have to be paid their monstrous salaries.

Xia will be lucky if he trousers anything from this.

He could, of course, raise some cash from selling assets.

Jack Grealish is the main one. A public auction might top £30m for the playmaker who has the world at his feet.

That would meet some of the on-going costs. Buy him some time, potentially, to off-load the club to a buyer.

And what of Steve Bruce, the manager who drew together a disparate dressing-room and took Villa to within 90 minutes of diverting this disaster from public attention?

His future has been a subject of debate on message boards and in social media.

He will stay put. He's a tough cookie, Bruce. And anyway, paying him off is a long way down the club's list of priorities.

For now, Xia's got bigger issues to sort out. Like keeping Aston Villa afloat.

The longest post in NSC history?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here