Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wayne Bridge yesterday

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good. Because some people use Vicente's moaning as another stick to beat Poyet with, so its great to see how much Bridge enjoyed playing for Gus

Some of the best football I have ever seen us play were under Poyet. in retrospect we should have seen the end coming. When you have two control freaks at a club and one of them has ambition beyond where he manages, the boss was always going to win. Poyet was proved right in some ways with his "ceiling" comments, probably because of FFP. We definitley took a backward step in investing in the team for a couple of seasons after he left.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I've been going to the Albion since 1979, and there aren't too many clear cut selections in a "Best XI" over those years, but at left back there can be only one answer, and by quite some distance.

Wayne Bridge just oozed class that whole season, and I regularly sat there having to re-adjust what I'd previously thought of him. Prior to joining us, I viewed him as an able back-up to Ashley Cole in the England side, but still a significantly drop off from Ashley. Having watched him for a season - and at an age beyond his best years - I now view him as probably Englands 2nd best left in my time, the bad luck is that he is 2nd to a guy who was around at the exact same time, which probably cost him 50+ caps, even with the injuries.

Also, he always conducted himself very well off the field, and came across as a fantastic bloke in "I'm a celebrity".

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Some of the best football I have ever seen us play were under Poyet. in retrospect we should have seen the end coming. When you have two control freaks at a club and one of them has ambition beyond where he manages, the boss was always going to win. Poyet was proved right in some ways with his "ceiling" comments, probably because of FFP. We definitley took a backward step in investing in the team for a couple of seasons after he left.

Yes, but those lost years were worth it as we now have a manager who is not up his own a**e and seems to get on with all his players.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
He was on Premier League Fanzone (sorry,it doesn't air in the UK and I haven't got a link) talking about each of the clubs he played for. He RAVED about his season with Brighton. Great stadium, great fans, great bunch of players. Said he enjoyed it so much he played through injuries that season..He also said we need a striker and an attacking midfielder.

He was quality that season, for sure.

Here's a link.

http://highlights-goals.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/premier-league-fanzone-10-january-2018.html

Watch out for the NSFW adverts.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I wonder if we actually offered him a place? We might have assumed that he wouldn't sign for the wages we could offer (bearing in mind the amount he was on - mostly paid by Man. City - while he was playing for us).

I'm told he contacted Gus after Reading had made their offer and asked him whether there was any chance he would be staying but by then the dismissal process was well under way. So he signed for Reading.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

I believe myself that the cracks appeared soon after his failed attempt to land Virgil V.D. And ever widened until breaking point on that fateful night. Sad, because it was my favourite time from averting relegation into league 2 to making us premier league chasers. Great memories watching some great football played by some great players for us. Wonder how things may have turned out had the VVD deal been done?

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton

I enjoyed some of the football with poyet but he then became very self centred and we all know what would have happened to us if we had gone up ! At least we have a fighting chance now. As for the “ceiling” comment, we still have a ceiling but I presume it’s been raised slightly. There were times we were left on the 18 yard line with no choices. I think he became a bit embrassing in the end an didn’t see too many people complaining about him leaving. I’m

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I enjoyed some of the football with poyet but he then became very self centred and we all know what would have happened to us if we had gone up ! At least we have a fighting chance now. As for the “ceiling” comment, we still have a ceiling but I presume it’s been raised slightly. There were times we were left on the 18 yard line with no choices. I think he became a bit embrassing in the end an didn’t see too many people complaining about him leaving. I’m

Don’t get me wrong I was very happy to see him leave. By the time it unravelled he had pissed me off no end with him touting himself in virtually every interview. His self centred and pathetic post match ramblings after the defeat to Palace was only going to end one way. I think he did have a point about the “ceiling”, although it was his inability to get us over the finishing line that caused it. Showed a complete lack of respect to the club and the man who had given him his chance. Yes sometimes he was too negative and fearful of losing games but when it was good it was VERY good. Cannot take that away from him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You're what? Has someone suddenly and for no reason punched you hard in the face?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Every time I see this Gus 'ceiling' thing I get pissed off again. Gus had spent all his budget (looking at the squad he had, that wouldn't have come cheap !), hadn't achieved what he wanted, and therefor wanted something other than himself to blame. Like all managers, he knew how much he had to spend all along.

If you're Guardiola, Mourinho or Wenger then you may be in a position to negotiate a bit more budget and he wasn't.

CH has NEVER, EVER mentioned the budget or 'ceiling' he is working to. He has talked about how it can be hard to get the players he wants but realises that he will be judged against what he can achieve using the 'ceiling' he's been given. If he doesn't achieve it, you know he won't be trying to blame everyone else.

*edit* Don't get me wrong, I loved some of the football under Gus

But it was a bit like some of those rampant sex sessions you have as a teenager. You pull a stunner, have the time of your life and then, a couple of days later you start thinking the sex is great, but is it really worth the risk of being stabbed to death in the middle of the night by what you have now discovered is a 24 carat Psycho ?

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm told he contacted Gus after Reading had made their offer and asked him whether there was any chance he would be staying but by then the dismissal process was well under way. So he signed for Reading.

OK. Fairy nuff. It almost looks as if we might have just assumed he wouldn't sign for us at a reduced rate. Pity - but in the long run, maybe it didn't work out badly for us given that his legs weren't going to last much longer.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
OK. Fairy nuff. It almost looks as if we might have just assumed he wouldn't sign for us at a reduced rate. Pity - but in the long run, maybe it didn't work out badly for us given that his legs weren't going to last much longer.

I see you keep all your sensible postings for football matters :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here