Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Boro play a 5 man midfield how does 4-4-2 counteract this?

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The old chestnut - do you adapt your formation to account for theirs, or do you play to your own strengths? For me, always play to your strength's but naturally everyone has to be aware of what it means when we have the ball, and when we don't have the ball. One of the front 2 dropping in is a simple way of doing that when we don't have the ball. When we do have it, we need full-backs joining in to create extra bodies in the middle of the park. Other tactics when we don't have the ball is high pressing - getting the Boro back-line to kick-it long and by pass their numerical advantage, straight down the throat of CBs who can get us on the front foot again.. When we do have it, keeping it wide and switching it frequently so as to avoid the congestion in the middle of the park, but also creates stretch on their central 3, trying to cover both wings. All sounds so easy doesn't it!!??

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There is no question whatsoever in my mind that if this game was played about 1/2 months earlier, Hughton would be starting Sidwell in a 5 with Kayal and Stephens. And we'd think "fair enough, a draw at Boro would be a decent result". And I think we'd probably get it.

Now that it's a straight shootout, I think this is Hughton's biggest dilemma.

Really not sure which way he'll go, but I trust that there will be plenty of logic and rationale behind his decision. I can actually see the logic in almost trying to keep the game at 0-0 til about 65-70mins, hoping that Boro will get nervy, and then suddenly ATTACK.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It could simply involve Steve Sidwell, as was the case at Birmingham, until such time as we need either a...

Plan B: Shit - they've scored, we now need two.
Plan C: Seventy-five minute stalemate achieved, let's throw the works at them now.

If we had needed a point I'd guess most people would have gone for that ..now it's 50/50 imho

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
When teams sit deep and defend it becomes vitally important that players like Knockaert run at people. Good quick passing generally can be matched well by teams sitting deep and keeping their shape. So I think he needs to have a big game on Saturday. Set piece will always be important so Skalak's delivery needs to be on the money as well. I think we need to caution against being to gung-ho, don't change what has been working most of the season. They will be nervous and if they have a mentality of "not losing" then that will be dangerous for them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hate the cheesy variants on this phrase but Saturday really IS a case of

Keep Calm and Give It To Knockaert.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Atletico Madrid play 4-4-2. They've done OK against Barcelona and Bayern Munich recently. One of the top 2 has to drop deep when you lose the ball. You have to be very organised at the back and you have to break fast and wide. Hughton needs to wear all black and go mental on the touchline for the entire game. Job done.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
[MENTION=20843]scamander[/MENTION] completely forgot about Vokes! But as you say his role is just as crucial as Grays.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Atletico Madrid play 4-4-2. They've done OK against Barcelona and Bayern Munich recently. One of the top 2 has to drop deep when you lose the ball. You have to be very organised at the back and you have to break fast and wide. Hughton needs to wear all black and go mental on the touchline for the entire game. Job done.

This is exactly what Hemed/Baldock do. Suprisingly against Derby it was Hemed more than Baldock. Presumably to add some physicality before playing it to Baldock. Who then kept the ball until Bruno/Rosenior/Skalak/Knockeart gave him an option.

If Boro play a five man midfield (they won't) then this is how we'll counter it.

Boro play one way. It's incredibly effective but there's is not a happy camp and we have spirit and an ability to mix up our game. I'm not saying we'll do it, but we do stand a chance. If we go one up, I expect a lot of finger pointing and anger between the Boro squad. If Boro go one up I expect us to dust ourselves off and keep going - will that be enough? Anyone's guess. Too close to call. Realists will say Boro have the edge, but football has thrown up bigger surprises and for what it's worth I think we'll win.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

Madrid have always been very good at playing the 4-4-2 in this way. We need to adapt slightly by ensuring Kayal and Stephens sit deep to protect the defence. Knockaert & Skalak (two wingers) need to help defensively but then exploit the channels when we have the ball. Break with pace and keep a good shape and any 4-5-1 will struggle to beat us. But obviously if we fail to do both of those things then we may be punished

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
[MENTION=20843]scamander[/MENTION] completely forgot about Vokes! But as you say his role is just as crucial as Grays.

He usually drops into the channel near their right back and thus allows Arfield to cut in, which is where he's so effective for us. We play 4-4-2 but it's almost 4-2-2-2 at times.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Sidwell starting with Hemed alone up front supported by Skalak who prefers to play narrow anyway.
Can't lose the aerial threat of Hemed or the dead ball ability of Skalak in a game where we are likely to rely on counter attacking at pace and our recently acquired ability to take advantage of free kicks and corners.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The options are clear. I'm just glad it's CH's job to make the decision rather than mine.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Obviously his main job is to score goals, but this is why Hughton prefers Sam Baldock to James Wilson.

Baldock works harder and is willing to do the hard yards if necessary and drop a little deeper and be a nuisance and disrupt the holding midfielder(s).

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
It is a definite 4-2-3-1 we play not a flat 4-5-1.

this why boro don't concede too many. but they don't score as many as us and we don't concede many. so no need to adapt just play our way.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Formations aren't as simple as 442 vs 451 (or whatever other variant).

There's 18 zones on a pitch.
Hughton will stick with his 442 and work out which zones to manipulate.

If you saw the Manager's whiteboard pre-match you'd get a headache trying to work out wtf is going on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The simple answer is if they pack the muidfield by pass it wide with a Burnley type long balls out of defence rather than play through the midfield and rely on quick breaks from the wide men.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Is anyone deliberating with the Murphy over Skalak option ? I have to say I've been wondering.

BoroBadger

May 4, 2016
We play 4- 2-3 1, two holding midfielders, two wingers and a no 10 behind the main striker. Its never 4-5-1.

We dont score that many and do have a tendency to get a bit frustrated if teams come and park the bus- but a draw will do us on Saturday

We have only conceded 7 at home this season. You have to go back to August 2014 since we last conceded 2 or more at home. Also our favoured central defensive partnership, Gibson and Ayala, have only ever lost once when they have played together- last season away at Fulham when our keeper came up for a corner in the last minute and we got caught on the break.

Also we have not lost a game all season when we have scored first.

So thats the size of the task you face!

Good luck, travel safely and enjoy the rare delights of the north east!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here