Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you say no to Brighton beggars?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
With the pathetic liberal limp wristed council the city centre had to endure under Caroline Clueless and her cronies, is it any surprise more and more homeless have come here.
A council leader who publicly supported foreigners illegally camping in the Steine Gardens sends out a great message...come to Brighton...do want you want!.....at the behest of the local people obviously!
I think you have a point but don't forget her record on recycling green my Arse.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
standard advice abroad is to point upwards and say "God will provide". Not sure how well that'd go down over here. Perhaps point to the labour exchange and say "The Taxpayer will provide"?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
When I offered to buy the guy begging outside the co op something to eat, his simply reply was "do you know how many sandwiches I get fūckin offered mate?"

I must have picked a good 'un who was really pleased with a bag of apples.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I find chuggers more annoying than beggars, harder to shake off as well. Whats the difference between giving cash to a random beggar who may or may not be genuine, or a chugger who you know is getting paid far more than your donation by a "charity" who have lots of expenses, fundraising costs and wages to pay.
I treat them all the same and just give a quick smile and a 'sorry' as I pass by. When I do give something it will be on the basis of my own careful judgement. If a beggar looks like they are playing the part, with a well practiced script then its going to be a 'sorry' as I waft past. I appreciate a polite and chirpy big issue seller, and will occasionally give them a couple of quid, usually without taking a Big Issue. I did see a guy in London near Victoria a few months back who was slumped in a doorway outside the station, he wasn't hassling anyone and looked in a right state, obviously under the influence of something and not looking at all healthy. I gave him less than one minute of my time just to check he was ok and gave him a few quid and a smoke. Each to their own, I think we would all like to make a difference in our own way by giving something, but the thought of getting taken in by organised groups or scammed by randoms puts people off.
I remember reading in the Arsegas a few years ago about the problem of 'aggressive beggars' in Btn. Did make me chuckle, as we have a word for that already, its called mugging.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nearly all beggars have their immediate needs taken care of. They have acces to clean clothes, a bed, food, and shelter. All that is asked in return is that they stay sober.
Basically they have all they need they are just out getting money to get what they want.
Most people would look for a job to take care of all of the above.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Generally ignore them. If they actually ask for money I either tell them to f*** off and get a job, or if I'm feeling in a particularly good mood I stop and talk to them which involves a lecture about why they should seek employment like the majority of people and a question as to why they think I should want to hand my hard earned cash to a filthy scrounger. Naturally I am usually thanked for enlightening them as to the ways of the world.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Nearly all beggars have their immediate needs taken care of. They have acces to clean clothes, a bed, food, and shelter. All that is asked in return is that they stay sober.
Basically they have all they need they are just out getting money to get what they want.

sorry, but you are deluded, not so at all

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
sorry, but you are deluded, not so at all

I disagree. Plenty of help out there for people if they are willing to quit the drink and booze. Plenty of help even if they don't. The bottom line is that most of them are too weak willed to accept the few conditions that are asked of them. Believe me, I know more about this than you.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I disagree. Plenty of help out there for people if they are willing to quit the drink and booze. Plenty of help even if they don't. The bottom line is that most of them are too weak willed to accept the few conditions that are asked of them. Believe me, I know more about this than you.

OK, just re-read your post, I'd missed the stay sober bit

Lush

Mods' Pet

Some hostels you don't even have to be clean or sober, otherwise there'd be a lot more people sleeping in doorways. You only get asked to leave if you are dealing drugs or are aggressive towards other hostel residents, many of whom are very vulnerable.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Believe me, I know more about this than you.

Anyone who comes out with a comment like this without actually knowing the other person's knowledge in great detail triggers my early warning BULLSHIT ALERT.

However, if you do know [MENTION=34281]pearl[/MENTION] and know for sure that your subject matter knowledge is greater - then I'll deactivate my bullshitometer and apologise.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyone who comes out with a comment like this without actually knowing the other person's knowledge in great detail triggers my early warning BULLSHIT ALERT.

However, if you do know [MENTION=34281]pearl[/MENTION] and know for sure that your subject matter knowledge is greater - then I'll deactivate my bullshitometer and apologise.

Do what you like. Certainly no need to apologise as I'm really not fussed about your bullshit detector.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Completely ignore them, and if EVERYONE did this then hopefully they will either move to another City or something else will happen to them.

Blight on society, sorry EVERYONE has a choice all through their lives.

If they get nothing they will stop begging.

They make me sick to the back teeth.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Completely ignore them, and if EVERYONE did this then hopefully they will either move to another City or something else will happen to them.

You're an ******** mate .

Karma will get ya

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not quite sure what the point is of claiming the begging spot by a cash machine. OK, the person using that cash machine has to enforcedly share the semi-personal space as the beggar, so beggar gains points for stickability. But then again, on the downside, the person using the cash machine has to pointedly ignore the person who is using the cash machine in front of them. Easy enough to multi-task and also ignore the person sitting down to the left or right of them. Plus nobody anytime ever took notes out of a cash machine only to then promptly give one of them away to the guy - and it's always a guy - sat on the ground. They'll be disappointed with those begging tactics.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

well you REALLY ARE a gem

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Not quite sure what the point is of claiming the begging spot by a cash machine. OK, the person using that cash machine has to enforcedly share the semi-personal space as the beggar, so beggar gains points for stickability. But then again, on the downside, the person using the cash machine has to pointedly ignore the person who is using the cash machine in front of them. Easy enough to multi-task and also ignore the person sitting down to the left or right of them. Plus nobody anytime ever took notes out of a cash machine only to then promptly give one of them away to the guy - and it's always a guy - sat on the ground. They'll be disappointed with those begging tactics.

yes I've thought the same, but they aren't always a guy

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I find chuggers more annoying than beggars, harder to shake off as well. Whats the difference between giving cash to a random beggar who may or may not be genuine, or a chugger who you know is getting paid far more than your donation by a "charity" who have lots of expenses, fundraising costs and wages to pay.
I treat them all the same and just give a quick smile and a 'sorry' as I pass by. When I do give something it will be on the basis of my own careful judgement. If a beggar looks like they are playing the part, with a well practiced script then its going to be a 'sorry' as I waft past. I appreciate a polite and chirpy big issue seller, and will occasionally give them a couple of quid, usually without taking a Big Issue. I did see a guy in London near Victoria a few months back who was slumped in a doorway outside the station, he wasn't hassling anyone and looked in a right state, obviously under the influence of something and not looking at all healthy. I gave him less than one minute of my time just to check he was ok and gave him a few quid and a smoke. Each to their own, I think we would all like to make a difference in our own way by giving something, but the thought of getting taken in by organised groups or scammed by randoms puts people off.
I remember reading in the Arsegas a few years ago about the problem of 'aggressive beggars' in Btn. Did make me chuckle, as we have a word for that already, its called mugging.

Agree with you here, chuggers are far worse. No is usually followed by a **** off with them when they keep on, haven't as yet had the same problem with Beggars. Maybe its me but I haven't seen a great deal of chuggers of late thankfully.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here