Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Australia is it all what it is made out to be ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They say you can always tell when a 747 full of Poms arrives at Sydney airport: the engines switch off but the loud whining noise persists.

Great place.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I lived in Canberra and Sydney as a child 1967-69 and so this isn't a recent review. Positives were; eternal sunshine and (in Sydney) spending weekends at the beach; the sounds of nature that are totally unique to Australia; getting boats everywhere; Manly, Taronga Park and so on. Negatives (mostly in Canberra); being attacked by magpies on the way to school and being bullied when I got there for being English (although I was a little sxxt looking back on it). Lot's of flies as well. I haven't been back since but memories from 50 years ago are very vivid.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Correct me if I'm wrong - and I probably am, but the word POM comes from "P.O.H.M" - which means "Prisoner Of Her Majesty" (Queen Victoria)

Now, don't a great deal of Australians have lineage which traces straight back to these people?

If so, using POM as a derogatory term is a bit rich...

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Been a few times for one reason and another. Great country to visit. Found the locals ok, even at the cricket - but they were winning at the time which puts them in a better humour.
Wouldn't personally want to live there, but I understand the attraction for some. For me, New Zealand was a more interesting place to visit. As was Canada. And Hong Kong -in the eighties and nineties anyway - was a much more exciting city than anywhere in Australia. But you've got to go to these places and make your own mind up.

For all its faults, it's Britain for me at the end of the day. So much variety and so many things to do, places and people to see. I'd get cabin fever in Australia.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Correct me if I'm wrong - and I probably am, but the word POM comes from "P.O.H.M" - which means "Prisoner Of Her Majesty" (Queen Victoria)

Now, don't a great deal of Australians have lineage which traces straight back to these people?

If so, using POM as a derogatory term is a bit rich...

Yes you're incorrect. After a bunch of Poms whinged about the term to the Australian Advertising Standards Board they investigated the entomology of the word.

"There are several folk etymologies for Pommy or Pom. The best-documented of these is that pommy originated as a contraction of "pomegranate".[11][12] According to this explanation, "pomegranate" was Australian rhyming slang for "immigrant" ("Jimmy Grant").[13] Usage of "pomegranate" for English people may have been strengthened by a belief in Australia that sunburn occurred more frequently among English immigrants, turning those with fair skin the colour of pomegranates.[14]"

It's a sunburn thing.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Departing Gatwick tomorrow at 2.30
Back in time for the fixtures
Will let you know

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
"According to this explanation, "pomegranate" was Australian rhyming slang for "immigrant"

So there was already a strong and established native presence of white people there when the first prisoner ships docked, and these local (and presumably generations deep) Australians referred to the Prisoners as "immigrants"?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Best country to live in the world imo, Just pips Canada to the title.

Hoping for the proposed visa waiver agreement between Aus/NZ/CAN/UK to go through and I'll be on the first plane back out there.

Didn't know about this.

How long before people moan about wanting their country back again?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So there was already a strong and established native presence of white people there when the first prisoner ships docked, and these local (and presumably generations deep) Australians referred to the Prisoners as "immigrants"?

You do realise that to this day the largest numbers of immigrants still come from the UK yeah?

5% of Australia was born in the UK, that's double the next closest nationality which is NZ.

1.2 million UK born people live here.

Added there were no "Australians" in the European sense when the convicts were arriving. Pommy the term started way after the convict period.

So if it was "prisoner of her majesty" then it would have been Brits saying it to Brits :lolol:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It's about to be ruined when [MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION] turns up, I HEAR house prices have plummeted

If only...........house price inflation is nuts!

Departing Gatwick tomorrow at 2.30
Back in time for the fixtures
Will let you know

Departing Gatwick in just over 2 weeks, ain't coming back for at least a year or two:eek:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not somewhere I've ever been interested in visiting. Although my thought is probably based on ignorance as I know little about the country to be fair.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I went in 2000 and really enjoyed it, it was cheap then though, I am sure i read that Sydney is now the most expensive city to live in the world?

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Drove all the way down to Sydney from Cairns over 5 weeks. Stunning part of the world with beautiful beaches and landscapes. Great to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

This.
I visited Sydney and went up to Cairns to visit the barrier reef, I absolutely loved it.
Great country to visit and will return again one day, but could never live there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here