Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A passing thought

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I reckon we should dig a small moat and fill it with piranhas. That'll save employing any stewards.

Think bigger dear boy.

I reckon there's a couple of spares in Florida:-

_74175271_killerwhale_reuters.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
.... I had a passing thought today as well. It's gone now though.

Oct 25, 2003
Why do we have and pay for about 30 stewards positioned at each end of the away supporters and lose about 250 seats through segregation. Why not revert back to 8ft fences at each end of just vertical bars so unable to climb and reduce the number of stewards to 3 or 4 to stop any that try to climb it. It is not really caged in as was in the 70s. In the case of an emergency they could still go on the pitch I may be wrong but to me it makes financial sense.

You're a very odd kind of grown up

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Fences are not the answer especially at a club/ground that tries to promote a friendly/arm open approach to the opposition which in general has worked.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fences at football......a very emotive word, and predictably draws a fair few knee jerk reactions, but.......

.......in an older stadium, there would often be four separate stands, one on each side of the ground, without the corners filled in. There would be no access from one stand to another without encroaching on the pitch and its surrounds. With a 'wrap-around' stadium, like the Amex, I can't see any sensible objections to having some sort of barriers (let's not call them fences, eh - it just upsets some people) at the corners. So, if your seat is in the North Stand, you have to go in through the North Stand entrances and you can't try going into the west stand and working your way round to your own seat because there is no access; big deal! We're not talking pens here, or fences to stop fans invading the pitch, FFS!

Of course, if the corners were the only barrier, that would presumably mean that one of the ends - at least the lower part - would have to be set aside for the exclusive use of away fans. A bit excessive at the moment, I agree - but if/when we get to the PL we'll probably have to do that anyway to accommodate the travelling ManU/Arsenal/Chelsea fans anyway.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Why do we have and pay for about 30 stewards positioned at each end of the away supporters and lose about 250 seats through segregation. Why not revert back to 8ft fences at each end of just vertical bars so unable to climb and reduce the number of stewards to 3 or 4 to stop any that try to climb it. It is not really caged in as was in the 70s. In the case of an emergency they could still go on the pitch I may be wrong but to me it makes financial sense.

Do we fence off the away fans after the game too? will they have to stay out of the other concourses too or will they be kept behind a fence there too after the match? and what about on public transport? fences there too?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It doesnt have to multitask as it has only 1 duty to segregate the supporters. If we reach the promised land every seat available will be at a premium to gain maximum revenue,.

With the riches of the PL we could afford to not worry about lost revenue from a few seats and stewards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here