Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ESU and WSU open for Coventry game

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Totally different circumstances. The goal 100% was promotion. We had a weaker squad and no real prospect of advancing the cup. The Championship had loads more games so everyone had seen the team more. This season we have only won 5 games at home (including Palace) so its the chance to watch the team play in a winnable tie. Two new signings playing one a hero and the other a record club signing. Loyalty points last season were not an issue. These are a few points off the top of my head

Yeah, a few points that miss the point that no one has been prevented anyone from going to the game on Saturday. All the complaints seem to be is that some ST holders have not been able to sit in their normal seat or stand for this fixture. Not that they haven't been able to get a ticket. It's okay when it suits ST holders en masse not to go to see a competitive fixture for the reasons above, but heaven forbid the club don't let them have their seat for a game they do want to see - which still has hundreds of tickets left and blocks that have not been put on sale.

Your line about loyalty points is sort of ironic too, given they are about rewarding loyalty and that loyalty really is about when it doesn't matter, because everyone wants to go when it does.

el punal

Well thank goodness the game is nearly upon us, and that the Amex will be close to having a capacity crowd. We can now put to bed ticket-gate, stand-gate, seat-gate or whatever description you wish to give for the club's stance in all of this.

I must admit the reaction, and over-reaction, of some who have posted on here has been astonishing to say the least. 124 pages of guff as to whether the club should or should not have opened the upper tiers earlier. The bottom line is tickets were always available for those that wished to go to the game - that's the most important thing. Had this been a League fixture, and you weren't a season ticket holder, you would have to accept a ticket for which ever area they were available.

Still, onwards and upwards. Hopefully a win for us on Saturday - or expect another 124 pages of posts with the vast majority containing angst ridden comments. :cheers:

Given that the lower tiers initially sold pretty slowly, surely anyone who had the concerns would have bought accordingly.

If we do end up with a crowd of around 28k then that suggests to me the club have got it spot on, unless everyone was just assuming that an FA Cup tie against a L2 team was a guaranteed sell out. Outside of the ties against Arsenal this will end up being one of our largest FA Cup home crowds.

There are not hordes of people missing out on this. If anything the can we sell the next group of tickets hoo ha, has actually provided some additional entertainment as the race has been on to fill up the ground.

Hardly spot on, more like got away with it tbh.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Well thank goodness the game is nearly upon us, and that the Amex will be close to having a capacity crowd. We can now put to bed ticket-gate, stand-gate, seat-gate or whatever description you wish to give for the club's stance in all of this.

I must admit the reaction, and over-reaction, of some who have posted on here has been astonishing to say the least. 124 pages of guff as to whether the club should or should not have opened the upper tiers earlier. The bottom line is tickets were always available for those that wished to go to the game - that's the most important thing. Had this been a League fixture, and you weren't a season ticket holder, you would have to accept a ticket for which ever area they were available.

Still, onwards and upwards. Hopefully a win for us on Saturday - or expect another 124 pages of posts with the vast majority containing angst ridden comments. :cheers:

With a great big dollop of satire, Monday morning the club should open up ticket sales under the banner "The next time we play Coventry" and open the stadium 1 seat per day. This thread could then enter the Guinness Book of Records, Bozza gets load of clickbait advertising revenue and everybody is happy (or indeed angst ridden)....

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I don't have anything to add.
I just thought I'd make this thread even longer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Seat-gate Is Dead. Long Live Pogo-gate!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Millions have probably bought at least twice in order to secure their must have seat of choice, need an empty seat counter tomorrow to gauge the attendance/pretendance.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Still undecided. I'm up for this but the travel arrangements are a nightmare from the West coastway.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It would suggest to me that the game all but sold out despite the clubs general buffoonery over this tie, not because of the way it went about selling tickets. I've got mates who've bought tickets in the ESL who are a bit macked off now at not having their usual WSU seat. I'm in the WSL myself and not overly bothered, but would I have chosen to go there ? Nope.

Once we knew it was a Saturday 3pm job, and they'd priced it properly, there was no reason to expect this would sell poorly. Complete overreaction by the club in the wake of the Palace games.

Yep.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Opening the ground area by area for cup games and friendlies isn't an over-reaction or "buffoonery" after Palace - its just normal or being cautious. They've done it many times at the Amex. And its normal for many (non Albion) grounds hosting games like this.
As for predicting the crowd then there was plenty of predictions on this thread, for starters, that there wouldn't be enough demand to sell out the lower stands to open the ESU and then again for the WSU because the club had stifled demand by not allowing fans to sit anywhere in the ground. And even though the reasons for not turning up for Palace are well known , did anyone still really think a few weeks in advance that only 15K would show ?

But this wasn't being wise after the event - in stark contrast to the Palace draw (which was met with groans), there was plenty of enthusiasm of the "GET IN!" variety on here when we got Coventry at home, and that only increased when it was confirmed as a Saturday 3pm, with tickets at £18. Not just on here either, people I know amongst friends and family were (are) up for this game from the off.

My season ticket is in WSU, but I was looking forward to trying out the ESU for this one for the first time (its pretty much the only area I've not tried yet). I hung back for a bit while the club twatted around with the lower tiers all week, assuming / hoping that they'd eventually open at least one of the upper tiers but not being sure. Then my sister said she was getting tickets for the WSL and did I want in ?...so as I'd pretty much lost the will to live waiting around for the possibility of the ESU, I went WSL instead.

I know, cool story bro. Worse things happen at sea I suppose, but the fact remains that the club made it a right arseache for anyone who's preference is to be in the upper tiers. It is what it is though, whats done is done, I'm still very much looking forward to tomorrow. Just wish I wasn't in WSL, but unfortunately the club saw to that.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
But this wasn't being wise after the event - in stark contrast to the Palace draw (which was met with groans), there was plenty of enthusiasm of the "GET IN!" variety on here when we got Coventry at home, and that only increased when it was confirmed as a Saturday 3pm, with tickets at £18. Not just on here either, people I know amongst friends and family were (are) up for this game from the off.

My season ticket is in WSU, but I was looking forward to trying out the ESU for this one for the first time (its pretty much the only area I've not tried yet). I hung back for a bit while the club twatted around with the lower tiers all week, assuming / hoping that they'd eventually open at least one of the upper tiers but not being sure. Then my sister said she was getting tickets for the WSL and did I want in ?...so as I'd pretty much lost the will to live waiting around for the possibility of the ESU, I went WSL instead.

I know, cool story bro. Worse things happen at sea I suppose, but the fact remains that the club made it a right arseache for anyone who's preference is to be in the upper tiers. It is what it is though, whats done is done, I'm still very much looking forward to tomorrow. Just wish I wasn't in WSL, but unfortunately the club saw to that.

Agree 100% I'm not at all bothered about sitting in my actual ST seat but I was looking forward to being able to sit with a load of mates who aren't ST holders and didn't buy tickets straight away. We have a really big group going but are spread out all over the place which is a shame and imo unnecessary but I am still looking forward to it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here