Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Safe Standing update

Safe standing has to be the way forward.

C) it’s what fans want. Look at how many bums are on seats in away ends or the most vocal home ends.

So because I stand at away matches I want to? No it is because everybody does that means I have to. Just like the little lad near me at Southampton who was having to stand on his seat to see. Very safe standing perched on a tip up seat.

If the club sold away tickets on the basis of a batch for sitting from the front and an batch for standing from the back, i bet you would find a lot more sitting.

You’re disagreeing with me but actually we agree. The point I clearly make is that one of the main benficaries of safe standing would be those who wish to sit.

Until it happens, your suggestion is a good one. In fact, at Huddersfield there was one block sold to us that had a zero tollerance rule to standing. So you and your son would have been able to sit here and enjoy the game. By default though, having one block as zero tollerance basicaly means you can go ahead and stand in the others. It worked well, although we lost

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Nope, but neither disaster would have happened if people had been seated...

Or if the games had been played behind closed doors and only available via TV. But some really boring people might advocate that........

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
People dieing at Hillsborough and Heysel, thats the problem...

Ridiculous you bring that into this debate, since (unless you haven't been keeping up with the times) neither were the fault of terraces.

Nope, but neither disaster would have happened if people had been seated...

Utter nonsense. Both would have happened. What you really mean to say is that (Hillsborough in particular) wouldn't have happened if entry was restricted to number of seats.

Agree, standing should not be allowed in all seater stadiums. Move on, times have changed.

I don't know whether you have completely misread his post, or you are just trying to be clever in your response. Standing happens in every stadium throughout the country and will continue to happen. If you hadn't noticed it's mostly the young people (ie. the next generation of fans) who want to stand and be vocal/active. Safe standing, as has been alluded to by other posters, would benefit those who get frustrated at wanting to be able to sit, but can't because the rows in front of them are all standing. The response to the survey/forum was lukewarm because all of us who want to stand already do, and will continue to do so.

Sitting will NEVER be enforced when the numbers exist who want to stand, which is significant enough for them to ignore the 'law' based on a bogus report and turn a blind eye up and down the country. You are not representative of fan opinion.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Ridiculous you bring that into this debate, since (unless you haven't been keeping up with the times) neither were the fault of terraces.

Utter nonsense. Both would have happened. What you really mean to say is that (Hillsborough in particular) wouldn't have happened if entry was restricted to number of seats.

I don't know whether you have completely misread his post, or you are just trying to be clever in your response. Standing happens in every stadium throughout the country and will continue to happen. If you hadn't noticed it's mostly the young people (ie. the next generation of fans) who want to stand and be vocal/active. Safe standing, as has been alluded to by other posters, would benefit those who get frustrated at wanting to be able to sit, but can't because the rows in front of them are all standing. The response to the survey/forum was lukewarm because all of us who want to stand already do, and will continue to do so.

Sitting will NEVER be enforced when the numbers exist who want to stand, which is significant enough for them to ignore the 'law' based on a bogus report and turn a blind eye up and down the country. You are not representative of fan opinion.

Sorry, didn't realise I wasn't allowed an opinion and that you speak for ALL fans. I bow to your superior knowledge of what real fans want.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

I

You really are just making this up. And there is no next generation of fans - just fans, whatever their age, each with valid views and opinions. I may not be 'young' but I'll be passionately following the Albion till the day I die, just like my father before me till the day he died at 97, passionate till the end.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I

You really are just making this up. And there is no next generation of fans - just fans, whatever their age, each with valid views and opinions. I may not be 'young' but I'll be passionately following the Albion till the day I die, just like my father before me till the day he died at 97, passionate till the end.

Making what up specifically? Most of what I said was factual other than my guess as to why the survey/forum wasn't popular. :shrug:

I

Erm, but thats exactly how it is.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
We could be seeing SS in the PL by the end of the season according to this. This article is bias towards the SS approach, coming from a firm that makes the kit, but there is a bit from THFC about bringing it in. Not bothering wth a poll, I know opinions are divided. Could help the NS create a bit more noise/atmosphere though?

https://talksport.com/football/prem...-areas-could-be-installed-summer-180125269989
pointless discussion - most of the north stands anyway

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This.

Hysel and Hillsborough were nothing to do with standing or sitting. In the case of Hillsborough, after 27 years, this has been finally confirmed. Gone are the days of any old nutter getting into football grounds. Terraces today would be fantastic in the PL.

Gone are the days of... tell that to the stewards who tried to stop Palace fans getting into The James!

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Hillsborough was noted by Taylor to have poorly maintained crush barriers, barriers that are given a name for a reason. There collapse, amongst other factors contributed to the tragedy.

Yes. Poor maintenance lays some of the blame for the tragedy at the clubs door, if not maintained to safety standards, any structure for standing, or sitting, would be unsafe. Not allowing terracing because of a club's negligence in maintaining it safely is not the issue. It would not have been a contributing factor if it had been maintained.
The horrific footage shows the crush could not be stopped as the cages leading onto the pitch were not designed to let people out in an emergency. I don't know if that was covered in the report, but from a worst case scenario, risk management point of view, you'd think that would have been a concern at design level. IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here