Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beer curfew 10 minutes before kick off

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
When was this 10 minute rule implemented? Has it always been in place?

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
At the risk of being shot down, isn't 10 minutes reasonable? Stops people chugging their pints, or missing the start of the game. I don't really want a pint 5 minutes before kick off and either missing the start or just having to down it. :whistle:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If that 10 minute rule is correct, then that is absolutely ridiculous. If you've already paid £30-£50 for a ticket, then you should be able to buy a beer whenever you bloody well like.

When you pay £30-50 who cares about the beer, I want to be in my seat 10 min before kick off. Almost as bad as leaving early

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Its the law. The Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc.) Act 1985
Its the same law that prevents you being able to drink alcohol in your seat unlike cricket, rugby etc.
Its 31 years old now and the context for when it was passed (hooliganism, safety of football grounds, the 80s) has long since changed. But there seems little appetite to repeal amongst any party.

Also its 15 minutes not 10.

"Subject to any order under subsection (3) below, the restricted period of a designated sporting event for the purposes of this section is the period beginning 15 minutes before the start of the event or (if earlier) 15 minutes before the time at which it is advertised to start and ending 15 minutes after the end of the event, but....[endless other clauses]—
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/57

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i've seen this rule at other grounds, and always thought it bonkers with the glaring contradiction of beer served all through half time. not seen it at the Amex though so maybe they just "had an inspection" so were apply it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
At the risk of being shot down, isn't 10 minutes reasonable? Stops people chugging their pints, or missing the start of the game. I don't really want a pint 5 minutes before kick off and either missing the start or just having to down it. :whistle:

People should still have a choice though shouldn't they ? If someone wants to chug a pint or miss the start then as an adult member of the human race surely that should be entirely up to them.

Its the law. The Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc.) Act 1985
Its the same law that prevents you being able to drink alcohol in your seat unlike cricket, rugby etc.
Its 31 years old now and the context for when it was passed (hooliganism, safety of football grounds, the 80s) has long since changed. But there seems little appetite to repeal amongst any party.

Also its 15 minutes not 10.

"Subject to any order under subsection (3) below, the restricted period of a designated sporting event for the purposes of this section is the period beginning 15 minutes before the start of the event or (if earlier) 15 minutes before the time at which it is advertised to start and ending 15 minutes after the end of the event, but....[endless other clauses]—
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/57

So a law dating back 31 years to the days of rampant hooliganism in crumbling grounds is still in place today. Ridiculous.
I'm guessing that on the whole football clubs these days must be turning a blind eye to it at their own discretion (as they'll obviously quite rightly not serve someone who is clearly 7 sheets to the wind, whether that be 15 minutes before kickoff or otherwise). I guess this is why I've never come across it, as I have certainly squeezed a quick pint in occasionally if I've arrived late.

Given the shambolic queues in the WSU though, if they're going to start strictly inflicting this law on us from now on, then there's going to be a lot of pissed-off punters wasting their time in a queue and missing the 2.45 / 7.30 deadline.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Given the shambolic queues in the WSU though, if they're going to start strictly inflicting this law on us from now on, then there's going to be a lot of pissed-off punters wasting their time in a queue and missing the 2.45 / 7.30 deadline.

The bars in WSU have been observing this for the 5 years i've been drinking in there. (admittedly they tend to use their discretion re: a hard 2.45 cut off) But there's certainly no chance of getting a pint at 2.50pm or later.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The only time I recall ever seeing a bar shutting well before kick-off was in the west lower before the Wednesday play-off semi. I generally arrive well on time at The Amex and have a couple of pints on the concourse, but I don't recall ever noticing a bar shutting well before kick-off until then though.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I bet NO other sports or entertainment have this rule yet the SHEEP just put up with it instead of fighting the government to change things

I nominate Ernest to start one of those gov petition thingies.
sure we could spread the word and get 100,000 signatures and get the law at least looked at again.

seconded anyone?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If that 10 minute rule is correct, then that is absolutely ridiculous. If you've already paid £30-£50 for a ticket, then you should be able to buy a beer whenever you bloody well like.

After all that's gone on this week you must at least accept it as a very real possibility?

It certainly has never been imposed in the past, as some people sit in the bar drinking when the game is on

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
After all that's gone on this week you must at least accept it as a very real possibility?

It certainly has never been imposed in the past, as some people sit in the bar drinking when the game is on

I remember one afternoon the season before last, the Naarch game I think, I ponced a freebie ticket in that lounge in the south-west corner. I queued and bought 2 pints at half time, one for me and one for the bloke who'd got me in, but I didn't realise he was driving so he politely refused it. So I had my pint, and stayed sat at a table in the lounge getting stuck into his one, as everyone got up and left for their seats. The second half kicked off, and I stayed there watching the game in the lounge, supping my pint, just peering through a gap in the frosted glass windows. Nobody said a dicky bird, I wasn't moved on or told to finish up and go outside (which I was glad of, as I'd been freezing my jaffas off). I must've watched about 15 minutes of the 2nd half like that. I was actually tempted to try my luck and get another one in and stay there watching it, being as we were utter shithouse and getting stuffed out of sight anyway, but I thought better of it in the end and went back out.

Nice though, watching us live with a beer. Enjoyed that.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I used to work for Azure at the AMEX when it first opened, this rule has always been there, and yes, it is due to the license. back then though, it was 15 mins before the game started, until 5 mins from half time, no alcohol could be served. Once the second half whistle was blown, alcohol was no longer served until after the final whistle.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I bet NO other sports or entertainment have this rule yet the SHEEP just put up with it instead of fighting the government to change things

I feel an ABSAIL coming on

Sent by 2 old baked bean cans and a piece of string

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

The 15 minute/ law is about the time slots for selling alcohol not how long it takes to drink up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here