Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Like any divorce the short term is perilous and an unnerving to say the very least ! However with time and the right expert representation the separation will slowly improve and I believe in the long run our children may well actually thank us for having the courage to step away from the troubled relationship. Btw hope there was enough commas?

Although the children in this divorce have no say on which parent they live with

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
And Derby also. They certainly showed courage and self sacrifice. I don't think knowledge came into it. I hope they don't whinge when their jobs are moved east with EU grants.

The alternative viewpoint though is I hope they have enough people to fill the vacancies in Derby when unshackled from the EU we can offer more favourable terms and incentives to businesses thinking of investing in Britain.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Doesn't the term Great Britain originate from the French Grande Bretagne which was coined to distinguish it from Bretagne or Britanny? Perhaps we could invite Brittany to join us as they have some lovely beaches there.

Our beaches are quite nice too now, once the E.U. forced us to clean them up.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Good one.

"Dear remain voter

I'm sorry you did not get your own way in the EU referendum, don't blame the people who voted to leave!

Blame the 28% of eligible voters who did not bother to turn up

Blame the 232 people who left their ballot paper blank

Blame the 9,084 people who crossed both boxes in protest

Blame the 836 people who added their names to the ballot paper

Blame the 15,207 who voided their vote for other reasons

Leave voters are not selfish, racist, xenophobic, bigoted or stupid.

They voted for our children & grandchildren, they voted for our democracy, they voted for our sovereignty, they voted for our fishermen, they voted for our farmers, they voted for our steel industry, they voted for our NHS, they voted for our schools, they voted for our laws, they voted for our borders, they voted for our economy, they voted for our rights, they voted for our freedom of speech & they voted for a Greater Britain.

They didn't vote for YOU!

Please explain why you believe out voters, voted for farmers, as all farmers are now set to loose their grant from the EU Agricultural policy

I.m also surprised you didn't include Turkeys voting for Christmas

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I blame the bookmakers ridiculous odds of 1/7 at times for remain, leading to some of the remainers not bothering to vote because they didn't think they needed too, or some voting to leave as a protest, thinking it wouldn't effect the over all result.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Remainers on the other hand.

" I like Europe and want to go on holiday there"

" Will the British Grand Prix go to France"

"No more Euro Championships for us, better win this year so we can qualify as winner"

" The channel tunnel is quicker than the ferry. If that goes we are in trouble."

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

My wife's hairdresser was a classic "I'm voting remain because I still want to go on holiday to Spain" :facepalm:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Please explain why you believe out voters, voted for farmers, as all farmers are now set to loose their grant from the EU Agricultural policy

I.m also surprised you didn't include Turkeys voting for Christmas

The explaining and debating was done over hundreds of pages on the EU threads, no need to explain now/again, it will not change your opinion or indeed the vote.
Constant nick picking is not going to change the result.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I blame the bookmakers ridiculous odds of 1/7 at times for remain, leading to some of the remainers not bothering to vote because they didn't think they needed too, or some voting to leave as a protest, thinking it wouldn't effect the over all result.

Oh yes, now i know the reason........ jeez.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Perhaps more of their 'children and grandchildren' should have got up off their arses and voted then instead simply sitting back and bitching about the result. From the indications of those that did it might have resulted in a different outcome

I don't disagree.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I deal with a number of people from Barnsley through my Gundog training and working with the dogs. To a man (and woman) they are the most insular racist people I have ever had the misfortune to meet. If I had a choice of wiping one town off the map in the UK it would be Barnsley (with Burnley in a good second place).

Ian McMillan is from Barnsley.

Comes across as a decent open minded bloke to me.

I worked with a bricklayer from Barnsley years ago. Put himself through evening classes to learn Japanese so he could work in business as he thought that was the future. Didn't come across as at all racist or insular to me.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
This article 50 that has to be implemented to start the procedure.I read that we could repeal the original common market treaty from 1971 and that would be it.Sort of like pulling out the bottom brick in a wall.Any legal experts able to inform us,in easy to understand terms.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
You do realise that a mere 30% of the 18-25 group actually bothered to vote. I don't blame them for the result but perhaps it would be helpful to find out why 70% opted out of the process. All this angst from some younger people should be directed towards their peers instead of blaming people at random because democracy didn't go the way those people wanted.

They were far too busy on social media and completely forgot to vote! We have ruined their future you know ffs they need to get a grip and man up! :tantrum::tantrum:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I voted leave but immigration was never a factor in my decision making process, I happen to think neither staying or leaving will have much impact either way on immigration, but apparently like the other 17.4 million leave voters I'm still a bigoted racist. I spent last week in Germany on holiday, the hotel was staffed entirely by Romanians, made a cracking drinking friend with a second generation Turkish german, had a whale of a time in a polish owned restaurant and another owned by a smashing gay Italian guy, remarkably we all managed not to insult or kill each other! My leave vote was anti EU not anti Europe something many remainers have a hard time understanding it seems.
I can't admit I voted leave in public. They just don't get it. At school pickup I excused my tiredness as being due to watching the election all night - the reply I got was a rant about how could people be so stupid. I decided to keep quiet :D

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
That's the answer , we'll all become ****ing fishermen, then

Greenland is a precedent for a country leaving the EU. I pointed out the reasons they left and the main consequence. You could perhaps take a look at the deal they got when they left to provide information prior to our exit negotiations. Or you could become a fisherman if you think that's a solution.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Good one.

"Dear remain voter

I'm sorry you did not get your own way in the EU referendum, don't blame the people who voted to leave!

Blame the 28% of eligible voters who did not bother to turn up

Blame the 232 people who left their ballot paper blank

Blame the 9,084 people who crossed both boxes in protest

Blame the 836 people who added their names to the ballot paper

Blame the 15,207 who voided their vote for other reasons

Leave voters are not selfish, racist, xenophobic, bigoted or stupid.

They voted for our children & grandchildren, they voted for our democracy, they voted for our sovereignty, they voted for our fishermen, they voted for our farmers, they voted for our steel industry, they voted for our NHS, they voted for our schools, they voted for our laws, they voted for our borders, they voted for our economy, they voted for our rights, they voted for our freedom of speech & they voted for a Greater Britain.

They didn't vote for YOU!

:ffsparr: you keep telling yourself that. I'm assuming you voted for the farmers and fishermen who will now no longer get their EU grants, or for the £350m which we'll be spending on the NHS, a claim which Farage has already rubbished, or our steel industry, much of which is owned by Indian companies, or freedom of speech which is in no way affected by this debate, or for the sovereignty which we have always had (a point lost on this thread by all leave voters who clearly don't understand the concept of sovereignty).

Ultimately, you voted based on ignorance, poor information, racism and because you want to shut the rest of the world out, and if you'd done any research into any of the issues prior to the referendum, you wouldn't be subjecting intelligent people to the crap that you've just written.

Quite frankly, it's shit like this that has made the intelligent elements of our country disgusted to be British. This is a victory for ignorance, fascism, racism and shown Britain's desire for survival over prosperity. That isn't a country that anyone with half a brain wants to live in for the next 40 years. So no, they haven't voted for their children and grandchildren, they've voted for themselves. And if you and half of the country want to stand next to the Farages and Johnsons and Goves of this world, then that shows what a pathetic, disgusting nation we really have become.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Don't Switzerland and Norway have very high levels of immigration (higher than the UK?) which seems to be the main reason why many people here voted to leave in the first place? So yes you can negotiate back your ability to trade freely in Europe but at the cost of having to allow free movement of people as well. I can't see the EU giving us (at a cost of many billions per year) the trade benefit & ability of UK people to travel freely round Europe without also having to allow free movement of people into the UK from the EU?

Absolutely correct :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here