Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would You Like To See Player Wages Regulated

read below

• Yes

Votes: 75 79.8%
  • NO

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I dont know,however Hong Kong Phooey was a number one super guy!

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
And when the player is paid ridiculous 1`000`s per week where is the voice of the Fan in this transaction between club and player

The voice of the fan is usually demanding that their club pays the player 10-100s of thousands a week, because they know that the player will help them win matches. And if the club refuses to pay this, another club will.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
1: My entrance fee goes indirectly, not directly to wages. Tony Bloom decides how much of my entry fee goes towards wages. He is worth £600 million, earned through property and gambling transactions, is that of concern to you?

2: £100,000 a week isn't ridiculous, it's the market rate. Football is a meritocracy, the best tend to be paid the most.

Mr Blooms wealth does not come into this......we will have to agree to disagree on this............you believe paying a footballer £100000 a week is acceptable........personally i think that its nuts ......i mean really mental!.......its crap salaries like that which are not only ruining the game but also push up ticket prices ......

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Tony Bloom's wealth is linked to the wages paid at the Albion as he subsidises what you pay for a ticket.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why shouldn't plaqyers earn all the money their agents can negotiate for them? It's a very short career and many ex-players end up nearly crippled by the years catching up with their bodies earlydoors, even if they are lucky enough to escape career-shortening injuries. Plus broadcasting companies, shirt manufacturers, sponsors and pubs showing the football on a Monday night when they would otherwise be empty are all making money off the back of the players. Only fair that their earnings should reflect the vast money pots generated.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
100k a week is bonkers. probably 50k a week is bonkers. but you cant do anything about it, and i don't see any reason why we should single out footballers.

It's a very short career and many ex-players end up nearly crippled by the years catching up with their bodies earlydoors, even if they are lucky enough to escape career-shortening injuries.

i don't think argument washes once a player is earning north of say 5 figures a week. a player on 20K will earn enough in a year to retire on average earnings, and they're insured against injury too.

Surely this threads title should read:

"ARE YOU IN FAVOUR OF FREE-MARKET CAPITALISM IN PRIVATELY RUN BUSINESS"

Most of the comments in favour of wage caps just stink of jealousy.

Why are we not pushing to cap Floyd Mayweather's, Rory McIlroy's or Lewis Hamilton's earnings?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Salary caps in NFL and Rugby Union don't appear to make the sport any less exciting. Nor does it seem to result in the players complaining that they are treated badly. Perhaps that is because, deep down, they just love playing the game.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
No. The football industry shouldn't be singled out. It wouldn't matter how much anyone got paid if the state did their job and ensured an equitable distribution of resources through more effective tax rate setting and collection. This would, of course, require international cooperation.

The usual 'this stinks of jealousy' and 'it's a free market' brigade, as always, fail to see the point in a way of which only solipsistic Tories seem capable.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sadly the £300 000 per week Rooney pockets probably is a more reasonable rate ( in a business sense ) than compared to some Championship players earning £20 000's per week.

I personally do think its slightly absurd as I do the salaries of golfers, actors, FI drivers etc., but I acknowledge that in a free'ish market then let them get on with it.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Players wages are scandalous
There needs to be a mass fan boycott of matches one weekend to get the ball rolling

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
a player on 20K will earn enough in a year to retire on average earnings, and they're insured against injury too.

So assuming a footballer makes around the £20,000 a week mark for their whole career (from 18 to 33 in my figures) and they live to be 85 (the UK average is 81, but as footballers are fitter you might expect them to last a bit longer) they'll have earned enough to pay themselves around £230,000 a year from the age of 18 until their death. Of course this are pre-tax figures though.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
No. Why should football players be singled out? No such rule for bankers, musicians, tennis or golf players, bankers etc.

There is regulation of bankers' bonuses at EU level - they have to be no more than 100% of salary. However, there's no limit set on what the actual salary can be. That said, I'm in agreement with your general point that it would be wrong to single out footballers and leave other highly paid professions alone.

One of the factors influencing the rampant inflation in football wages (and transfer fees) is the football creditors rule - players and clubs have priority over all other debts in the event that a club is insolvent. This distorts the free market, and cushions all concerned from financial reality, as no other business would survive if it persistently spent more than its turnover on staff costs. If this rule was removed (it would require primary legislation as HMRC have unsuccessfully challenged it in court) then it might serve to curb the squeeze which agents are able to put on clubs.

The company the owns Mercedes made 6.5 billion euros in profit in 2012, they can afford his wages. Most clubs in the Championship are haemorrhaging tens of millions of pounds each year, they can not. There is a big difference there.

So a cap on some leagues and teams in football? Real Madrid made £125m in 13/14 and wages were 49% of they're outgoings.

That means most clubs in the championship are badly run aren't they?

Maybe they should bring a series of rules where by each club has to operate within their income... OH WAIT!

FFP is a better system than a cap. Why should Liverpool/Manchester United etc. be allowed to sell as many shirts as they do, sell out their stadium as often as they do and make as much money as they want but can't spend it in they way that really matters to a football team, on the pitch? You can't say that the wages of Arsenal should be equal to that of Burnley because they are in the same league, yet the income is vastly different.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Why shouldn't plaqyers earn all the money their agents can negotiate for them? It's a very short career and many ex-players end up nearly crippled by the years catching up with their bodies earlydoors, even if they are lucky enough to escape career-shortening injuries. Plus broadcasting companies, shirt manufacturers, sponsors and pubs showing the football on a Monday night when they would otherwise be empty are all making money off the back of the players. Only fair that their earnings should reflect the vast money pots generated.
I agree. BUT most clubs make a loss as a result of player earnings. Perhaps a salary cap linked to turnover is a fair way forward. The cream can still rise to the top, but it doesn't have to cripple clubs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... You can't say that the wages of Arsenal should be equal to that of Burnley because they are in the same league, yet the income is vastly different.

i think that's precisely what some people do want. some like the idea of the NFL or MLS model, but overlook they come with franchises and all that entails. while we have 92 professional clubs, three football authorities in England, at least another three across UK, then UEFA and all the other countries football authorities, its safe to say it isnt going to change.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
So a cap on some leagues and teams in football? Real Madrid made £125m in 13/14 and wages were 49% of they're outgoings.

Maybe they should bring a series of rules where by each club has to operate within their income... OH WAIT!

FFP is a better system than a cap. Why should Liverpool/Manchester United etc. be allowed to sell as many shirts as they do, sell out their stadium as often as they do and make as much money as they want but can't spend it in they way that really matters to a football team, on the pitch? You can't say that the wages of Arsenal should be equal to that of Burnley because they are in the same league, yet the income is vastly different.
Financial Fair Play is great in theory, but will ultimately fail because there is a groundswell of opposition against it within the game.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

FFP is designed to keep the rich rich and the rest of us with our noses pressed against the window. If it had been introduced 15 years ago Manchester United would have won the PL every year.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So we are going to turn the clock back 50 years and act as if the fight by footballers to abandon the maximum weekly wage never happened?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here